Author Topic: Cat Fence?  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Cat Fence?
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »
Hi everyone! Sorry for the LOA, moving and all.
We are mostly into the new place, and its great. 40 acres of woods surround the house, its beautiful. There are also flowers ALL Over the place (which will, unfortunately, probably not last long as I always seem to kill non-aquatic plants), a screened in porch, and a fenced in yard.

The fence is picket, and only about 4 feet tall. I have been playing with the idea of getting cat fencing mesh and fencing in the entire area so I can install a cat door (my bedroom has its own door leading to the yard) instead of my original plan of just building a large enclosure with a cat door so she can go in and out, since she has to spend so much time in my bedroom and I don't want her roaming 40 acres of uncharted woods unsupervised. Is this feasible with such a small fence as long as I use other means of support?

Oh, and I don't have to carpet my walls like I thought I would. She doesn't like scratching sheetrock, apparently. Once I get my room completely in order, I am going to start putting cat shelves all over the room, I have one wall I plan to completely dedicate to that.

At least now she wants to leave the room instead of hiding under the bed and yowling.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Cat Fence?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
Glad you and Amber are liking the new place.  Sounds beautiful. 
I can't help you with building your own cat enclosure.... we aren't handy in that way.  lol  We had to buy one. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
Took me a bit to find it since I saw it on My Cat From Hell, but here's how you do cat fences:

http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/product-p/purrfect-fence.htm

I'm going to ask him in Twitter if that works for the tops of:

The fence is picket, and only about 4 feet tall.

Edit: Okay he's been asked. I'll ask for suggestions from ANYONE that's handy too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:49:56 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
I found this too...the last photo shows the exact specifications. It says their fencing works best on fences that are at least 4' high.

http://www.catfence.com/pictures.htm

So that's how you have to fix the top. I don't see why you can't just attach cat-mesh to the picket part and have it complete then.

There are also these things that you can have for her until you get everything set up the way you want it permanently:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:42:03 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »
Sounds nice Amber....I would like to do some mesh aswell on my upstairs balcony, the deck is about 4 ft high. Im afraid also that one of my cats would be able to climb on the mesh to get to the top, so thinking I may need to do somthing like Dee Dee posted.

P.S ...my fish are all doing well, still alive. Figured out why my Nitrates wouldnt go down, it was the filter. Its the type that you have to change every 4-6 weeks. Which is odd, since I have read you are not supposed to change them, unless they are falling apart. :-\  All water tests are good now :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
I do know someone in another forum who installed puurrrfect fence guard all around her fence, but her fence is probably 8 feed high.  It does effectively keep her cats in and the neighbor cats out. She now lets her cats out without supervision.  I don't think I ever could do that.  Even in an entirely enclosed space.

That's partly because I like to have them around me though.

For Amber, I think building an enclosure, roof included, would be safer, if she is to be let to come and go when you are not out with her.

They really aren't hard to do, if you are at all handy.  2x4s and some kind of fencing wire or screening is all you need really. Or if you aren't handy, if you have handy friends. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
I thought the mesh tunnels looked like fun.  I considered them on and off for a long time.  My worry was a cat "picking" at the zipper and getting it open.  Out of 7, ONE of them would think of it! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »
You are probably right about the enclosure, since she will be unsupervised so much, the tunnel things with some sort of pop up pen may be viable, if they come in sizes much larger than that, but I worry about their security. Also, my grandfather's dog has taken over the back yard and screen porch, and while she is friendly and has never shown any signs of aggression whatsoever.... I am not keen on leaving amber alone anywhere that Kite can access.

Glad to hear the fish are doing well. Filter changes do need to be frequent if you have filters that inhibit rather than promoting growth of bacteria, or for the first 6-8 months regardless because the gravel has to seed first.

Tags: