Author Topic: I need some info for scratching posts too...  (Read 2058 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I need some info for scratching posts too...
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
This is a really needed topic for me so that I can help deter people from wanting to amputate their cats' fingers.

So these are the things I've been told:

Some cats are vertical scratchers and some are horizontal scratchers. How exactly do you tell?

If you want to break them of tearing up your own furniture, you need a scratching post in every room near their most favorite things to shred. How do you know what kind to get so your cat will like it more?

Rubbing your own furniture with lemons or oranges--or using essential oil sprays of lemons or oranges--will make them dislike your furniture.

Rub their scratching posts with catnip to make it more attractive to them.

That's about all I know. Any tips to help people?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I need some info for scratching posts too...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
Provide as many choices as you can. 

Cardboard, sisal, berber, regular carpet, even wood.

Different shapes.  Vertical (must be TALL), flat, curved (very popular) horizontal, diagonal.

I've recently discovered that covering the arms of a couch with that rubbery no slip stuff you get in a roll at the dollar store is a great deterrent.

I actually have a lot to say on this, but I can't sit long at the computer because of my back.

More later. :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »
Thank you SOOOO much, MC.

I don't want you to be in pain at all. I was hoping that by now the treatments would be having a longer lasting effect on you, but I guess all the work you've been doing is preventing it.

Anything, at any time, that you can add is great! I just decided I need help for Twitter, that I've been unable to give as of yet. Scratching and litter boxes are the 2 things that are asked most there.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
I'll post pictures of what my cats have later.  I really have to limit my time.  Maybe if I got a new chair. or a special cushion?  Hmmm

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:08:30 AM »
Show them this picture!

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:13 AM »
We currently have 7 cats.  Only one SOMETIMES scratches the back of one of the recliners.  Two sided tape works pretty well. 
We have scratching posts, in all the rooms, they like to hang out in.
As MC said... carpet, sisal rope, soft wood, cardboard... LOTS of choices. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
I personally prefer sissal, that way Pookie didn't get the idea that regular carpet was ok.  But some cats may prefer other textures, and you may need to try a variety before finding one (or more) that the cats like.  I have several scratching posts throughout the house, in areas that he and his sister tended to scratch, and some are upright, others are on their side.  He uses all of them.  I got the sissal from the hardware store and wrapped the ones that were covered in carpet, then rubbed the catnip on it to really get the attention. 

When they were young, if I caught them scratching something I didn't want scratched, I would make a harsh sound that they understood meant "Mommy doesn't like this," pick them up, take them to a post and very lightly drag their feet over the post, all the while saying in a happy voice "Good boy (or girl), that's a good boy (etc.)."  They very quickly got the idea and would start scratching the post, and I would keep praising them.  Literally every time they used a post,  I would praise.  Positive reinforcement is very important.  To this day, every time Pookie uses a post, I praise him.  Rarely does he scratch something he's not supposed to, and if he does, I make the "sound" and he runs and goes to a post instead (where he gets the praise).  Once in a while, I do rub catnip on the posts.

I never needed to cover anything to deter them from scratching.  Usually I just made the noise.  But I think it helped to have at least 1 post in every room, near the areas they wanted to scratch (like the back of the recliner), and in different positions.

If I think of more, I'll add it later.  I hope this helps!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
Thank you all SOOO much! This is Great information!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
About the carpet... Good point, Pookie!

We put sisal rope on all the carpeted areas, of the cat tress... other than the places to lay. 

Tags: