Author Topic: Vet's Best Hairball vs Egg yolk lecithin?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Vet's Best Hairball vs Egg yolk lecithin?
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
The pros or cons? 
Middle Child or anyone...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Vet's Best Hairball vs Egg yolk lecithin?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
I prefer the egg yolk lecithin for main use.  The only thing I really use the Vets-Best for is incentive dust. Well sometimes Queen Eva gets a whole tablet crushed over a couple of meals (one tablet spread out I mean) if I think she needs a little more help, or if she's had a lot of bone (which can constipate) But I'm really happy with the egg yolk lecithin.

Mazy (SK) gets a whole capsule daily of the Nature's Plus, half in the morning half in the evening, I give it with a first meal, when the stomach is empty.  The other two get a half capsule every other day, (they get the Swanson's Brand) also on a breaking fast meal (breakfast usually).

Jennie still gets a tablespoon of Farmer's Market brand organic pumpkin if I think she needs a little extra help.

The Vet's Best is primarily psyllium (50%) which can create too much bulk in the stool if given too much of or too often, I suppose that's my only con against it. The SEB and marshmallow are ok at 25% each.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
We have one (Lucky) that has furball issues once in a while.  I am really weird about adding anything to their food, if it can be avoided.  As needed, would be more my speed. 

Since I have the Vets Best on hand...from previous dusting use...and it is still has a good date on it, I was wondering if it really works for hairballs. 

I realize it states it is for hairball use, but you know how pet products can be.... 

If the egg yolk lecithin is better, I have no problem going that route. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »
I have been using the egg yolk lecithin for over a year.  There are no hairballs, and no trouble with hairballs.  Mazy (SK) of course with her motility issues is the one who always had the most trouble.  She has always had trouble dating back to her first year with me and what I always tease her as her "$400 hair ball".

When I was using those toxic petroleum based "hair ball gels" she had to take that stuff daily.  Actually I am pretty much convinced that frequent use of laxatone type products is what caused Tolly's cancer. I hope I got Mazy off them in time, she took doses almost daily for many years.

I convinced a friend to start using the egg yolk lecithin and she is really happy about it.  her cats are on a mostly dry diet (sigh) but at least the egg yolk lecithin has kept the fur moving through them.

Tags: