Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34935 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »

I know I can be a worry wart, but I also know I missed some pretttttty crucial signs before.  I just don't want any repeated mistakes.  My furkids, like all of yours, are my family.  They aren't a plant...or something that can be replaced or forgotten.
I'm glad his tests were normal.  I know tests don't show everything.  I am relieved... sorta. 
I just can't imagine what would cause him to regurgitate... once a week, for several weeks. 
The vet had no suggestions, other than to move on.  Not his exact words.  Should I chalk it up to something that can't be explained... as long as it isn't continuing? 

Just throwing this out there -- could it be something as simple as different (bath) soap being used in your house?  I know how careful you are, so just trying to narrow possibilities down even more because of a blog story Anne J of felinenutrition.org wrote about when she had work done to her floors.  Her cat became verrry sick & IIRC her vet grilled her & her husband about any possible strange newness in the home, no matter how subtle it may have seemed at the time. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »
I'm glad everything came back okay!

Maybe you've already ruled this out, but "just in case:"  was this by any chance while you had someone staying in your home?  Perhaps that person had something, e.g. soap, shampoo, scent from laundry detergent that might have triggered something?

I don't remember how long the person was there, though . . .

Or was it maybe while you're neighbor was having the pool removed?

I think Pookie hit the nail on the head when she suggested Mazy's problem was lack of acid rather than too much.  I think the ACV is helping her a LOT. 

This is just a theory based on what I've learned about digestion, but I'm going to toss it out there:  stomach acid digests protein (meat) and helps break down the minerals in the food so they can be absorbed.  It does not break down carbohydrate.  Sooo . . . . what if . . . by eating carbs (kibble), the stomach was "trained" over time to produce less acid?  Then someone changes the diet to one with more animal protein, BUT the stomach isn't getting the signal, for whatever reason, that it needs to produce more acid?  This was my thinking when I suggested the ACV for Mazy, with the hope that, over time, the stomach would be "retrained" to produce more acid on it's own.

So going with my theory, I wonder if some cats that were fed kibble for significant periods of time, don't produce enough stomach acid and need something like ACV added to their food in order to improve digestion and also to "retrain" the stomach.  Mind you, I have no proof of this and haven't found anything online about it.  It's just a theory.

I would continue to keep an eye on Arrows (and I know you will) and document as much as you can, including any environmental changes that you can think of.  Keep us posted, and we'll keep trying to help.  grouphug
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:20:55 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »
CC - I have allergic reactions to so many things, that I rarely make changes, and can't think of any recent ones.  Hubby and I have been trying to come up with something.  Something done differently... once a week...for the last several weeks.

The pool replacement could be a possibility.  The pool folks don't work every day.  I don't pay close enough attention to what days they do/did work.  He not only replaced the entire pool, he replaced ALL the decking AND landscaping. Lots of carp could have been floating through the air. 

Arrows IS very sensitive to smells.  A person wearing heavy after shave could come visit us, and he is sneezing.

Pookie - The house guest is long gone.  She wasn't allowed to use anything smelly.   

I think your theory makes a LOT of sense!  I TRULY think the tummies (of some of mine at least) have been "wrecked" by kibble. 

We are continuing with documenting, so we (hopefully) will be able to see a pattern... if we need to look for one.   
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 04:36:54 AM »
Nothing intelligent to say.  Just wanted to let you know I'm here.  xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
Nothing intelligent to say.  Just wanted to let you know I'm here.  xx

Well...if you were Arrows' mom, what would you do?  :) 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
Pookie - The house guest is long gone.  She wasn't allowed to use anything smelly.   

My thinking was more along the lines of whatever laundry detergent she used on the clothes she brought with her/was wearing.  But it was a long shot.   :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
Well...if you were Arrows' mom, what would you do?  :) 

I would be doing exactly what you are doing.  I would be recording everything he eats and when, recording litter box habits, and any vomting or other signs of illness.  Would have taken him to the vet for bloodwork and check up.  Would be watching for patterns related to diet or activty in the house.

Would be thinking that the long histroy of kibble diet was coming home to roost.

I think Pookie is right on target with her thoughts regarding the body not producing enough acid after years of inappropriate diet.  I think that, in part, is what's wrong with Mazy cat (along with the motility issue, also caused by the dry high carb diet) and it is not impossible that is what is going on with Arrows, too, but because of the nature of the vomit I would be worrying a lot.

However, I'm also remembering that the texture of the NV is kind of ...grainy..which could look like coffee grounds in vomit. Not saying the food CAUSED the upset, but it could be that food looks weird coming back up.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »

I think Pookie is right on target with her thoughts regarding the body not producing enough acid after years of inappropriate diet.  I think that, in part, is what's wrong with Mazy cat (along with the motility issue, also caused by the dry high carb diet) and it is not impossible that is what is going on with Arrows, too, but because of the nature of the vomit I would be worrying a lot.

I know I'm not a cat, but I'm inclined to agree with this just because of my past vomiting before discovering apple cider vinegar. Of course, my food allergies that I didn't know I had were the cause, but still. GERD is a witch.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »
Would be watching for patterns related to diet or activty in the house. 

I would add "and around the house," like the neighbor's pool work.  I know I'm anal retentive, but . . . hey, I'd rather have too much information than not enough.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
Quick answer, as I can't sit for very long....backache.

If I said NV, I was mistaken...that brand isn't in the food rotation. 
Thanks all... just wanted to be sure there wasn't something everyone else was thinking I should be doing, and I'm sitting here clueless.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:06 AM »
I added Nature's Variety canned back into the mix.  Just not enough brands in rotation, for my liking.  BUT one of the barfs was before it was fed.  Hubby just reminded me.

What food did you mean then?  One that contains veggies such as spinach maybe? (still looking for a reason for the coffee ground bits)

PS Hope your back is better soon!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
By Nature Duck has flaxseed, and he ate it the night before!!

This post maybe?

He has eaten it since... a few times.  All went well. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
Sending purrs that your back feels better soon.  GoodVibes CatPurr

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
No the one I quoted above.  On the first page you state that you've added NV back into the mix. NV is very...gritty.

Glad to know everything is going well!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
I added Nature's Variety canned back into the mix.

That's my quote.  Talk about MAJOR brain fart! 
Just checked the cupboard... no NV.
I'm going to go check my last few orders... see if I imagined that brand or what!  BRB 

Edit:
Definitely no NV.  I'm not even going to try to figure out what the heck I was thinking...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:04:11 PM by Lola »