Author Topic: Need flea products (for cats) and flea bomb recommendations  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
One of my sister's cats died last night due to anemia from fleas.  She's used spot treatments in the past, and mentioned that the cats don't like it and wondered if it burns them.  I forgot to ask what treatment she uses, but wanted to ask if there's a flea product that you all recommend that's not ridiculously pricey, and that won't hurt them (or at least, is as non-toxic as possible).  Do flea collars work well, or are they just as bad or worse than the spot treatments?

She's also going to have to flea-bomb her house (and again in a few weeks).  Are there any products you recommend?  Besides the flea bombs, are there other things she can do (definitely vacuum, and I told to cut up a flea collar and put a couple pieces in the vacuum to kill the little  :-X in the bag)?  I know that turning on a lamp and putting a bowl of water under will attract some and they'll drown.  I mentioned diatomaceous earth, but that's a bit pricey for her esp. given the size of her home.

Any and all information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all!   HeadButt

P.S.  She has 5 other cats, though 1 is outdoor and another is indoor/outdoor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:40:30 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Need flea products (for cats) and flea bomb recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
Get a fogger and make sure it has IGR (insect growth regulator) in it like Precor:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/precor-plus-fogger-with-igr-oz-p-390.html

There are all kinds of brands that now have IGR, but make sure it says it's a fogger. They work better.

As far as spot-ons, I haven't a clue about cats.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »
The prices that I have seen, for flea treatments and/or collars... Human Grade DE is by far cheaper.  BUT is there the possibility the cats will sniff/inhale it? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »
You can also pour salt all over the carpets and the cat trees if they are carpeted, let that sit for 24 hrs then vacuume it up.
I would not use store bought flee collars, can she get some advantage?

Here is  link to  natural ways to treat for fleas, there are a few warnings with some of them
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas.html
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:54:17 AM »
The cats have to be treated monthly without fail. No amount of cleaning in the environment will get rid of them if the cats are not treated.

Frontline plus
Advantage multi
Revolution

are the brands I would recommend that kill both fleas and eggs.

When using sprays are bombs it is very important to follow directions about how long to keep the cats away, because they almost all contain peremethrins or pyrethrins, both of which are extremely toxic to cats.  That stuff has to be completely dry and wiped down and dried again,before cats can be let back into the area.

Flea infestations are just an awful thing.  I am sorry your sister is going through it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Are there dangerous chemicals in those products?  I realize SOMETHING has to be done... I'm just curious. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »
Which products?  The frontline plus, advantage multi for cats and revolution for cats are all proven safe an effective.  All the growth inhibitor sprays contain permethrins

My mother is using lemon juice and vinegar right now.  She pours it on the floor and rubs it into the furniture I guess.  It does drown fleas but does not kill eggs and while safe for everyone, not very efficient.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
Which products?  The frontline plus, advantage multi for cats and revolution for cats are all proven safe an effective.  All the growth inhibitor sprays contain permethrins

My mother is using lemon juice and vinegar right now.  She pours it on the floor and rubs it into the furniture I guess.  It does drown fleas but does not kill eggs and while safe for everyone, not very efficient.

The products you mentioned, were the ones I was asking about.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
Thank you all so much.  I REALLY appreciate the information you provided, and I will definitely pass it on to her.  Please, if you have more, keep it coming!   :-* :-* :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
There are recipes here for making flea repellant for cats, scroll down:

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.ca/2013/02/apple-cider-is-good-for-your-dog-and.html

Tags: