Author Topic: Dewormer?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Dewormer?
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
So Mango was dewormed at 6 weeks and 8 weeks of age with panacur. Then again with Revolution. My question is does he need more worming? He is indoors only. Though he has a bit of a pot belly, not sure if this is from him eating so much, or from wormies? He is 2.5 lbs at 12 weeks of age. When I was at the vet for his core booster the vet suggested a dewormer, but I said he was just given revolution a week ago. I am going to have to ask that I stay with one vet at the practice, I really dont like seeing so many different ones :(
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dewormer?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I am going to have to ask that I stay with one vet at the practice, I really dont like seeing so many different ones :(

When you get an appointment, just say, "I need an appointment with Dr. ______ for Mango." That's what I do, and no one has ever said anything about it. The only time they see someone different is in case of emergency.

Note: Revolution says it protects against "roundworms and hookworms."  It doesn't say anything about whipworms and tapeworms. I'd have a fecal done, though tapeworms are still hard to find sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:47:05 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Would not the panacur have dealt with that? supposedly its a really good dewormer  :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
Would not the panacur have dealt with that? supposedly its a really good dewormer  :-\

It should have. But it was done 2 weeks apart. My vet recommends 3 weeks apart when they need worming.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
Wouldn't a fecal test be enough to show if the worms are gone?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:00 AM »
Fecal doesn't always show the tapeworm, but really I think that's enough chemicals for one little body to handle right now. 

I'd wait a week or two then, if the pot belly is still there, have a culture done on the poop. The culture is a bit expensive, but better than treating a kitten for something that isn't needed, in my opinion.  A culture will test for everything but trichomonas.

Tags: