Author Topic: Feline Chin Acne  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Feline Chin Acne
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
I'm 99.9% sure this is Roxy's issue. 

I noticed one big one, a few weeks ago.  Thought she got scratched by something (or someone) and it formed a scab.  It was gone within 2-3 days. 

Her "spot" is on top of the refrigerator, so she is pretty much at eye level for me.  I noticed a bunch more a few days ago.  Started Googling.... 

Possible changes that could be the cause... she is fed raw chicken for every meal.  (Poultry has always been a constant.  The only change is the raw.) It is mixed with wet food.  She isn't fond of raw only.  I don't feed fish, grains, or loads of carbs. Water added is bottled water.

Dr. Mercola doesn't mention stress, but last week would have been a highly stressful week for her.  We had company...and lots of it.  EDIT: That wouldn't explain the one a few weeks ago.

Food and water bowls are metal.  The food bowls are washed after every meal.  The water bowl is washed once a day.  None of the cats drink water... hardly ever.  Her food bowl is pretty wide (5 inches), but it is also about 1/2 inch deep.  It has never been a problem before, but...

I did try to wipe her chin after she ate, even though I didn't see any food on it.  Not sure how much I actually got wiped.  She isn't a cat that likes to be held or touched, except on her terms. 

Two days ago, I changed her feeding dish to one of our plates...just in case.

I wonder if it is possible her chin is getting "germ-y" from the raw food/dish combo? 

It does look MUCH better today.   

It's important that any underlying conditions like mange, a yeast infection or allergies are identified and resolved. I find that removing unnecessary grains and carbohydrates from the diet, as well as giving cats a break from both seafood and poultry as protein sources, can make a huge difference in preventing a recurrence of feline acne.

If a kitty has intermittent recurring acne, you can proactively swab her chin with a cotton ball dipped in witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide once a week to prevent or control flare-ups.

If your cat's food or water bowl is plastic, you might also consider switching to a shallow stainless steel or non-toxic ceramic to eliminate a potential plastic or dye allergy as the cause of the acne. I also recommend you evaluate your kitty's diet, her vaccine load, her environmental chemical load, and the water and air quality in your home.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/09/feline-acne.aspx
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:57:23 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Feline Chin Acne
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »
I know that cats aren't really supposed to have coconut oil, but it works for skin issues most of the time. It's an antiseptic as well as anti-fungal.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
Is Roxy getting ACV?  When I saw the title of your thread for a second I had a weird vertigo, thinking I had written it myself, and forgotten that I'd already started the thread!.

Mazy has an acne spot on her chin, I noticed it yesterday. She has never had acne before.  Ever.  I was wondering if the ACV had anything to do with it.  I put a dot of neosporin with pain relief on it last night and it looks much less sore this morning.

Dee...I hadn't thought to use coconut oil, I do have it in the house. Hmmmm...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Since it is clearing up... I'm more "concerned" as to WHY it even started.  Little precious Roxy never seems to get a break. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »

Dee...I hadn't thought to use coconut oil, I do have it in the house. Hmmmm...

If the boys get a scratch or something out on one of our walks or outside trips when one gets too rough with the other, I use coconut oil on it for a few days until it heals. It helps stop heavy scabbing when I use it so they don't keep on picking at it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
ACV... she isn't being given it.  BUT I use one spoon to mix raw and canned, mix Arrows ACV into his food, and spoon out portions.  Something to keep in mind.  Thanks!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:42:38 AM »
I'm using the coconut oil on Mazy cat's chin sore. I am also using it on some scratches from Jennie's teeth I have on my hand (they are clearing up fast!) and on a sebaceous cyst I have on my shoulder that erupts periodically. Seems to be helping that, too.

Mazy's acne spot while still there, looks much better.  No more scabbing, hope it starts to shrink now. And after the first two days when she fussed, she no longer runs away or struggles when I put the coconut oil on the spot.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:54 PM »
So coconut oil is okay for cats?  If so, how about for hairball issues?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:51:17 AM »
No, I do not think coconut is okay for cats, used internally.  I posted info on that here a few years ago. Cats should not have medium chain triglycerides.  But Mazy cat isn't ingesting the coconut oil, I am just putting a miniscule amount on her chin.

There are actually many people who disagree with me about coconut oil and cats but I won't change my mind on this, and if I read about it being recommended for cats anywhere I always post my beliefs in the thread.  Doesn't seem to make any difference, but I am compelled to put it out there. :)

Like you wondering about Roxy, I am wondering why Mazy cat suddenly has acne on her chin, after never having it before. But I don't have an answer.  My first thought, with acne, is dental problems, but her breath is just as sweet as ever.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »
No, I do not think coconut is okay for cats, used internally.  I posted info on that here a few years ago. Cats should not have medium chain triglycerides.  But Mazy cat isn't ingesting the coconut oil, I am just putting a miniscule amount on her chin.

There are actually many people who disagree with me about coconut oil and cats but I won't change my mind on this, and if I read about it being recommended for cats anywhere I always post my beliefs in the thread.  Doesn't seem to make any difference, but I am compelled to put it out there. :)

Like you wondering about Roxy, I am wondering why Mazy cat suddenly has acne on her chin, after never having it before. But I don't have an answer.  My first thought, with acne, is dental problems, but her breath is just as sweet as ever.

Thanks for the clarification!
I also thought I had read/heard that it wasn't good for cats internally.  But thought maybe I remembered incorrectly.
As far as you stating your opinion... keep at it!  You never know who is reading, but not necessarily responding publicly. 

Personally I would rather error on the safe side. 

As far as Roxy, her meal is prepared first.  Which means... she isn't getting any cross "contamination" from the ACV, that is given to Arrows.  So that has been ruled out.
Since I started this thread, we have been feeding her using people plates...just in case there are any possible issues with her metal dish.  Her chin acne isn't getting worse, but it isn't going away.
Everyone is eating raw, and she is the only one with chin acne.  So I am inclined to rule that out.   
You mentioned dental problems.  That is a possibility.  She was next for a yearly-ish check-up, but hasn't had it yet.  Her vet visit was pushed back... a few times. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
Feline acne, in my experience takes a long time to clear up once it's there. It might have something to do with the fur loss.  Mazy cat's spot looks like it is healing cleanly, none of that crud you usually see,  but it's still a big pink bare spot on her chin. But no more scabby or bleeding.

PS My experience was Bibbs Angel, had a lot of trouble, turned out to be dental related, and Jennie used to but not any more (not dental related).

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
Sounds like Roxy's chin acne is at the same stage as Mazy's.  Not scabby.  "Just" pink now.  I tried to get a picture... no luck. 

What was the reason (if you know) that Jennie had chin acne?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
Snip..

Feline acne generally involves a bacterial infection. Other conditions that can cause similar-appearing conditions include skin mites, ringworm, yeast infection, or auto-immune diseases such as eosinophilic granuloma complex (“rodent ulcers”). Therefore, if you do notice something going on in the chin area, a trip to the veterinarian’s office is your best bet to make sure the problem is not more serious than a few zits!

Brushed stainless steel and aluminum can also harbor bacteria (as well as an electrical charge that can give your cat a static zing!).
  I knew plastic wasn't good.  Had no idea about stainless steel or aluminum.  I'm REALLY hoping the change in her serving dish will be the fix.  If I take her to the vet for this, and her teeth are fine... raw will be blamed. 

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/feline-acne/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:46:11 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
  My vet was never concerned about Jennie's acne, and I think it was diet related.

I hate to blame every problem she had on carrageenan, but she hasn't had acne since I eliminated the carrageenan.  To be specific, it took about 6 months post-carrageenan before I realized the end of the acne and the end of her Pink Triangle (licking herself bald on her abdomen)

I was going to respond about the stainless steel when I got home from work, because I didn't have time to answer everything at lunch.

I use the little Corelle glass saucers.  I get them at Walmart (sucks) (sucks).  They aren't cheap, I think I paid almost $6 per, the last time I got them.  My Walmart (sucks) (sucks) doesn't carry them any more, I got the most recent ones when I was at mom's Walmart (sucks) (sucks) with her. Made in USA.

Darn, hit the trigger to fast

I wanted to add.....sometimes there is a "detox" effect, when starting raw.  I've read about this in various forums and raw facebook groups.  Usually it comes out as some really foul poop for a few days as, with the improved diet, the body starts to shed the toxins from the "bad" food.  I think it's more noticible when cats go from something like Meow Mix (for example of a really bad food, haha) to raw.

So...my thought is..for Roxy, perhaps there was something in the canned foods that her body didn't process well, and this is her detox.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »
I wanted to add.....sometimes there is a "detox" effect, when starting raw.  I've read about this in various forums and raw facebook groups.  Usually it comes out as some really foul poop for a few days as, with the improved diet, the body starts to shed the toxins from the "bad" food.  I think it's more noticible when cats go from something like Meow Mix (for example of a really bad food, haha) to raw.

So...my thought is..for Roxy, perhaps there was something in the canned foods that her body didn't process well, and this is her detox.

That's very possible.  Good point, MC!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: