Author Topic: Is coconut oil safe for cats?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Is coconut oil safe for cats?
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
I'm trying to think of some natural antibiotics I could give Pookie to help his mouth, while I try to decide what to do (see other thread on this).  I was thinking of adding colloidal silver to his food, though he may taste it, and just saw something about coconut oil also being antibacterial, etc.  Assuming he'd eat it, does anyone know if it's ok to give to a cat?  I'm just looking for options.

I remember reading somewhere that cat's can't use flax oil (?), but I don't know about coconut oil.  I wouldn't be using it as a supplement though (like the flax for omega's) . . .

I'm rambling, sorry.  I'm just such a mess right now.  Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:37:13 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Is coconut oil safe for cats?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that cat's can't use flax oil (?), but I don't know about coconut oil.

The last thing I remember about not being safe for cats was:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=819.msg5225#msg5225
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
Just found this:  http://www.winnfelinefoundation.org/education/cat-health-news-blog/details/cat-health-news-from-the-winn-feline-foundation/2010/06/23/cats-and-dietary-medium-chain-triglycerides

Sounds like it's not actually dangerous, just that it shouldn't be used as a supplement (in place of, say, fish oil).  Unless I mis-read, which is possible.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
Somewhere on here I have posted that cats should not have medium chain fatty acids and why.  I posted pictures of the information my vet printed out for me.  I still have copies of that so I will post them later.  No time now.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
Sounds like it's not actually dangerous, just that it shouldn't be used as a supplement (in place of, say, fish oil).  Unless I mis-read, which is possible.

All I know is, I give it to our dogs every day at dinner, and they have amazing coats that don't smell like dogs in any way. I use it if they get scrapes, and it heals a LOT faster than without it. Faster even than Neosporin does. I've been putting it on my bug bites, and it seems to help them some too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:09:38 PM »
I'm leaning towards just giving him the colloidal silver in his food.  It may not make a difference, but I can try.  I just doubt this vet would consider it a legitimate antibiotic.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »
Here's the thread with the print outs my vet gave me

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=810.0

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
Thanks, MC.  I think the biggest issue for me is this:  "Possible interference and reduction of absorption of fat-soluble drugs . . . and vitamins A, D, E and K."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
More info on coconut oil (against using it) from Dr Jean Hofva

Coconut oil is not for cats: Coconut oil is the latest nutrition crazy for humans, and already at least one manufacturer is adding coconut oil to its cat foods. But cats aren’t people, and what’s good for us is often not good for them. Coconut oil is more than 90% saturated fat–far more than any animal fat–and is devoid of the long-chain essential fatty acids that cats need, such as arachadonic acid and Omega-3s EPA and DHA. It’s high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea. Too much of it is unpalatable; most cats won’t touch it. MCTs have also been linked to feline hepatic lipidosis (a life-threatening liver disease). So don’t be fooled by this fad…feed your cat what she is designed to eat: animal-based protein and fat in a high-moisture food.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/catswalk-newsletter/catswalk-newsletter-summer-2014/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=littlebigcat&utm_content=Your+Summer+2014+CatsWalk+from+Little+Big+Cat+is+here!

Tags: