Author Topic: Rescue Remedy  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Rescue Remedy
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
I've ordered some Rescue Remedy for Mazy cat.  I haven't updated her thread yet, but I took her to the vet to have her anal glands expressed a couple of weeks ago.  She was very aggressive and terrified.  She's always had trouble at the vet, but never this bad before.   By the time we were done the vet was talking about giving her "a small dose of acepromazine" at her next visit (in January for PureVax rabies)

I am adamantly against sedating cats for vet trips.  I feel it does more harm than good, to the cat, and I do not want to do it.  So I have ordered some Rescue Remedy for Mazy cat.  I've never used it, though I know people who have, and I know people who recommend it all the time.

Anyone here have any experience of it?  I thought I would run some trials with it first, giving her a little on a day I am home to observe her, probably more than once.  Also try using it with her next nail trim to get a better idea of how it will help her be calm. (She gets very stressed during nail trims)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Rescue Remedy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
One of my concerns of course is how sensitive Mazy cat is to stuff, digestion wise.  But with Rescue Remedy, I think you can try rubbing it on the face and ears, instead of giving it internall.  I think I will try both ways for her, BEFORE it is time for the vet visit in January of course.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
I haven't really used Rescue Remedy on Pookie, but wanted to toss out another option that may also work:  Feliway.  It comes as a diffuser or as a spray.  It basically mimics feline pheromones (happy horomones) to help calm the cat.  You can spray it in the carrier, and also on the table at the vet's office.  You might even do both the RR and the Feliway.

I hope this helps!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:08:10 AM »
Thank you Pookie!  I do use the feliway diffusers, well I used to, haven't had the need in recent times.  The feliway spray is a good idea.  I see they have wipes now, too I might try those instead of the spray. I can wipe out the carrier before putting her in it, and wipe down the stainless steel too.

Part of her problem is the stainless steel, she has a strange phobia to it.  Keeping her sitting in the bottom half of her carrier as much as possible, or on a towel, we always do that, but of course she can still SEE the table.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »
I tried it for Jenkins...when he first joined the family. I needed him to slow down, so I could catch him... and take him to the vet.  It seemed to have an effect on him for about 20 seconds.  Not long enough. ;) 

I don't remember how often it can be given, but it may be worth a try. 

Can Mazy be left on the floor, on a favorite blanket... somewhere out of view of the metal table?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
The rescue remedy came. I gave each cat two drops on a PureBites chicken piece.  Just want to see what happens.  My friend is coming over today, they all know her (though Mazy goes to her Safe Spot for a while as always).  Now I've got to get cooking.

The recommended dose is 4 drops. 

Of course I especially want to see if it will bother Mazy cat's delicate digestion.  It can be rubbed on the face and ears, too.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

Of course I especially want to see if it will bother Mazy cat's delicate digestion.  It can be rubbed on the face and ears, too.

It's an article about humans, BUT. . .I thought you might want to read this before you keep on dosing them with it:

http://www.nourishingherbalist.com/ingesting-essential-oils-safe-or-not-so-much/

SO, you might want to make sure you watch them VERY closely when using it. I'm still of the firm belief that if it might not be good for me, it's probably not good for them either, and I'd definitely want a practitioner that's experienced in EO use to see any of us before using it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
Thanks Dee, good article!  No worries, Rescue Remedy is Flower Essences, not essential oils.  I do know that essential oils are not safe for cats. :)

I am thinking of trying it myself, the next time I have an anxiety attack (granted I haven't had one in a long time)

Here is what happened today:

As I said the rescue remedy came today so I decided to give it a try with everyone, just for the heck of it. I had company today, my friend D was coming over, they all know her of course, she's been here many times, in fact she is the only person, other than me, whose lap Tolly Angel would sit on, that's how well they know her.

As an aside, Queen Eva often will crawl onto her lap if she has a blanket over her lap (under the blanket of course)

So, I put two drops (instead of the recommended four) on a piece of PureBites freeze dried chicken breast, each cat ate her treat with the usual gusto they show for PureBites.

I went about my cooking, keeping an eye on them. Queen Eva disappeared into the hammock, sound asleep. Now, I wasn't sure if that was to be attributed to the RR, or the fact that I had opened up the house while cleaning this morning (it's very cold here) and she had spent some time on the snowy porch, which revved her up and she had done laps around the house for a good half hour earlier.

Jennie showed no obvious reactions. Mazy hung around and showed nothing unusual.

Right before my friend came, I fed them lunch. Queen Eva roused herself for lunch and ate, the other two did too of course, they always eat, haha. After they ate, we heard the sounds of D coming to the door. Mazy (as usual) ran to her Safe Spot. Queen Eva, (NOT usual) got very spooked, ran around low to the ground, then hid under the couch. Queen Eva NEVER hides when company comes, so I was surprised to see that.

Jennie, as usual, showed no reaction, she isn't bothered by much.

D came in, Queen Eva finally came out and said hello, then went back to the hammock. Very unusual for her, she usually puts on a show for my friend. I won't be giving Queen Eva RR again.

Jennie was normal.

But Mazy, now MAZY cat was the one. She knows D, but it usually takes her a good two hours to come down from her Safe Spot (a high perch in my bedroom) after she gets here. D always goes in and says hello, but doesn't pay any attention to her other than that, but still Mazy takes her time coming out.

Today, Mazy not only came out after only ten minutes, she actually went over to D, greeted her, then jumped up on the Ootay Memorial Bed next to D's chair, curled up, and took a nap. I went over to pet her and she was PURRING.

And then, she let D pet her, she let D reach toward her with her hand, rub her face with her hand, and she did not growl or show teeth, in fact she leaned into it.

Mazy cat HATES hands coming at her. In fact when I saw D reach out toward her I started to warn her not to do it, but when I saw Mazy lean in toward the hand I just let it happen.

Oh and later, Mazy cat curled up on the other side of D (we almost thought she might try her lap, but she didn't) and did a spin, showing D her lovey Yummy Dotted Tummy. Mazy never shows anyone that tummy but me. Wow.

Granted, this was not a very high stress event in Mazy cat's life. But...I am feeling hopeful that the RR will take the edge off for Mazy cat's vet visits.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »
Thanks Dee, good article!  No worries, Rescue Remedy is Flower Essences, not essential oils.  I do know that essential oils are not safe for cats. :)

Then I don't understand this article at all.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/05/14/dr-shelton-on-pets-essential-oils.aspx

Even applied topically, it sinks into the skin. And I followed the links in that article to where the Dr Shelton sells essential oils. I was reading some of it for the directions, and oral use was mentioned.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
 I skimmed the article, didn't see anything about flower essences?  For any controversial subject of course we are going to find any number of on line articles touting the benefits and safety, and the horrors and dangers.

I remain on the safe side regarding essential oils and cats.  Won't use them.  But Rescue Remedy isn't essential oils, it is flower essences.

here's an article I found discussing the differences, and this article also states, like your first one does, that ingesting essential oils is not always a safe thing to do, and using EOs should only be done under a knowledgeable practitioner's guidance.

http://goodworkswellness.com/difference-between-bach-flower-remedies-essential-oils-and-herbal-tinctures/

Like you, if I wouldn't use it on myself, I wouldn't use it in my cats.  I take the same probiotic they take, the same vinegar, the same krill oil, the same d-mannose. (actually I've stopped their krill for a time, but that's for another thread I have not yet started) I'm actually thinking about trying the Slipper Elm Bark I use for Mazy, I am having some bowel issues, and I'm begining to think it might help.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

http://goodworkswellness.com/difference-between-bach-flower-remedies-essential-oils-and-herbal-tinctures/

Thank you for that!  ::) It's going to be really interesting to see how it affects Jennie, Mazy, and Eva. It would be great if it works and all of them benefit, or if it works on just one or two and not the other/s.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
Did you see my report from today?  In summary it seemed to have, what to me is a negative impact on Queen Eva, making her more easily spooked, and making her sleep. Jennie showed no difference at all.  Mazy cat, the one who needs it, it seemed to have a positive effect.

She's never been that receptive or easy and relaxed around company before. Even though she's known D all her life (D visits here once every few months) she still hides for a couple hours, never invites attention or contact.

I'll use it with Mazy cat a couple more times before the vet visit, just to determine for sure if there are going to be any adverse effects. Today I only used two drops. The recommended therapeutic dose is four drops.

I am going to get the feliway wipes for the carrier, and to wipe down the vet table, too.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »
Did you see my report from today?  In summary it seemed to have, what to me is a negative impact on Queen Eva, making her more easily spooked, and making her sleep. Jennie showed no difference at all.  Mazy cat, the one who needs it, it seemed to have a positive effect.

Well I've seen it now. Sorry for missing it!  :(

My life became crazy a few months ago, and now I'm having problems with concentration and complete attention much of the time.

Queen Eva, sounds like V&B's wonderful reaction to the vet's 4th of July solution. (I won't ever do THAT again!) So, it would stand to reason that flower essences and other plant mixtures really are medicine.

That pheromone DAP spray seems to help the boys some, so hopefully Feliway will work for you to make it even easier with Mazy.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

If I remember correctly, I think Rescue Remedy is like catnip:  some cats respond to it, some don't.  If it helped Mazy, that's wonderful!   thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
Mazy never shows anyone that tummy but me.

Traitor...   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: