Author Topic: After a lot of looking. . .  (Read 1539 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
After a lot of looking. . .
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
I've decided I'll start both of them on turmeric supplements. I want some kind of detox they can stay on long-term. They always get some kind of fat at meals anyway, so it should go ahead and maximize the turmeric. They already get a little bit of turmeric in their cookies that I make them, but I have no way of knowing how much. I want to know for sure how much.

I've read too much that says don't use Milk Thistle long term. So I'll continue use that detox for only a few days after their heartworm/flea meds.

Now here's what I'm wondering. Everywhere I read it says that black pepper maximizes the turmeric. Kind of an activation ingredient like fats are. Some supplements even already have black pepper in the capsules. (Yes am going to use capsules--Vlad's beard = enough explanation.)

So, should I add black pepper (or buy the kind with black pepper already in it), or skip the black pepper altogether and hope the fats do enough activation?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: After a lot of looking. . .
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
following.....

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »
I really have no idea.  I've never heard about using black pepper with turmeric, but that doesn't mean anything, as I'm not nearly as familiar with herbals as I am with actual vitamins and minerals.  I would like to learn more about herbals, but haven't gotten there yet.

If there's a health food store near you, you may want to ask the proprietor.  They're usually pretty knowledgeable about the products they sell and how they work.  In your research, did you see anything that indicated if black pepper is safe/not safe for dogs (short or long term)?

As I'm thinking about it . . . . you may want to skip the black pepper to start and see how things go.  You can always then add it in (e.g. use a supplement that includes it) later if you think they need it.  That way, if for some reason one of the boys has a problem with the supplement, you can already rule out black pepper as a problem.  But that's really your call -- you know them, and what they can handle, better than I do.  I tend to be a "keep it simple" type of person, esp. when it comes to our pets.  Just my  2cents.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:35:12 PM »
I
If there's a health food store near you, you may want to ask the proprietor.  They're usually pretty knowledgeable about the products they sell and how they work.  In your research, did you see anything that indicated if black pepper is safe/not safe for dogs (short or long term)?

The most I've found is in the comments here: http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2012/11/good-beneficial-and-bad-dangerous-herbs.html and it seems to be a disagreement, though the nay-sayer says some can tolerate it and some can not. It's an irritant to some. She only recommends using coconut oil with turmeric. However, other places mentioned mixing coconut or olive oil, black pepper and turmeric as if it needed all 3 things.

And then there's this about humans: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/WBL02057   :-\

As I'm thinking about it . . . . you may want to skip the black pepper to start and see how things go.  You can always then add it in (e.g. use a supplement that includes it) later if you think they need it.  That way, if for some reason one of the boys has a problem with the supplement, you can already rule out black pepper as a problem.  But that's really your call -- you know them, and what they can handle, better than I do.  I tend to be a "keep it simple" type of person, esp. when it comes to our pets.  Just my  2cents.

I think I'll try that for a while with just the coconut or olive oil as the activator. If there are no bad effects (and it was said somewhere that you have to watch for constipation with turmeric), then maybe I'll try a little black pepper later. I know they've eaten my hash before though, and hubs and I like quite a bit of black pepper in that. It didn't affect either of them if stomach upset is what you go by.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
Good luck!   thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: