Author Topic: For those of you that wanted Windows 10 Upgrades  (Read 14842 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
For those of you that wanted Windows 10 Upgrades
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »
It will be out July 29.

But, you want to read this first and pay special attention to #'s 6 and 7:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2945195/microsoft-windows/9-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-yet.html

6. You use OneDrive placeholders

In Windows 8.1, OneDrive placeholders, also called smart files, let you see all of the files in OneDrive, even if the files are located in the cloud and not on your device. When you double-click a placeholder on your PC, the file is downloaded. However, when Windows 10 ships, OneDrive placeholders won't work because of the upgraded OneDrive software.

Microsoft says it will try to bring OneDrive placeholder functionality to Windows 10 by year's end. But if OneDrive placeholders are important to you, don't upgrade until they work with Windows 10.

7. You have old peripherals

The Achilles heel of most new operating systems is handling older peripherals, such as printers and scanners. Microsoft doesn't always make sure that drivers for vintage devices work with the new operating system -- it would take too many development resources. As a result, some of these peripherals won't work with newer operating systems.

Remember, if you do it, you're going to be just another Beta Tester for them. Being a Beta Tester isn't always such a great thing. In fact, sometimes it's a truly awful thing.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
Re: For those of you that wanted Windows 10 Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
My computers have been offering me the upgrage for some time now but I am too scared lol. Never change a working system
Because pets are family...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
I also declined my free upgrade. Thanks Dee.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
I've got 7 and could upgrade, but it's not happening. I don't mind being a game or program beta, but I don't want to beta an OS--not even on one of my other partitions.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
I have a PC that I rarely use.  I'll go first... 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
I have a PC that I rarely use.  I'll go first... 

LOL. It's a great day! We have our own PF victim beta tester!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
LOL. It's a great day! We have our own PF victim beta tester!

funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »
Can't upgrade until July 29.  Must be different dates for desktops and laptops. ??  Mine is a laptop. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
First sentence in the article I posted:

Windows 10 is just about here -- and many users (especially those who have been wrestling with Windows 8) are probably eager to upgrade. But even if you can get it now -- the upgrade will be sent first to those who signed up for the Windows Insider beta program and then in "slow waves" to everyone else -- you may want to hold off.

Then the announcement:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/23119/windows-10-release-date-and-specs

Microsoft bets on 1 billion active Windows 10 devices within three years
Windows 10 at-a-glance

Windows 10 will launch globally in 190 countries on 29 July 2015, and details about what to expect from the next-gen OS are slowly being revealed, both officially and via leaks. Here's our round-up of everything you need to know about Windows 10.

Windows 10 initial release date set for 29 July.
Enterprise users can manage company-wide rollouts for Windows 10 updates.
Project Spartan browser finally gets a proper name: Microsoft Edge.
Windows 10 will be available as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 consumer edition users, who can reserve their copy right now, during the first year after launch.
If you don't upgrade within the year, you will be charged from £100
Android and iOS apps will run on the new OS.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »
So the upgrade pop-up notices that my elderly friend is getting on her desk top is just an announcement type of thing.  She can't actually upgrade right now? 
I'm a little tired... and slow. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
I'm not sure since I haven't seen any pop-ups on anything at all. I doubt it would happen on the lap-top either since I kind of changed the way it looks/acts.  You'd actually have to click on it to see what it was, and make sure it was really from Microsoft.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »
I installed it on our laptop.  BUT... I don't use the laptop very often at all.  Soooooo I'm not likely to notice any possible irritating changes.  :)  At a glance... better than Windows 8!!!  lol

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
LOL. Well at least it didn't totally crash on you like some things have done to people in the past.

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »
Still undecided
Because pets are family...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »
What I want to know is, what's the picture program like?  Windows 8-1 is the worst thing ever.  I did download windows 8 but it crashes all the time, so it isn't much use.

if the picture program is good, comparable to Windows 8, or better yet, Vista, then I will download windows 10.

Tags: