Author Topic: Lola's Vet Visit - August 2015  (Read 12408 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lola's Vet Visit - August 2015
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:41:44 AM »
I'll probably update in bits and pieces.  I can't sit for very long and I have my mother later this morning.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Lola's Vet Visit - August 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
Lola's test results.  If she is geriatric at 7 years old, I must be a walking miracle!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
Mr. Vet called previous vet and got the test results from last year.  Whatever number(s) Mr. Vet was slightly concerned about... he is no longer.  No change.  I'm just telling you what was said.  Comments are always welcome. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
Lola's test results.  If she is geriatric at 7 years old, I must be a walking miracle!

LOL. I think "senior analysis" means they test almost everything on earth for a baseline at age seven. Then again, some people consider animals senior when they're seven. Unless it's a giant breed of dog, I never consider them senior until they're about nine or ten.

I'm absolutely NOT sure where cats are considered senior, and I have no clue as to whether they're like dogs or not where larger cats like Maine Coons or Servals become senior sooner than other cats.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
As far as her having a dental cleaning, I think it all boils down to...

Me not having 100% confidence in ..."her mouth doesn't look too bad." 
Cats hiding pain.
Lola's mouth being a MESS before.
Lola's personality change.
Losing two... with one death that likely could have been prevented.  Both being in, who knows how much pain, and me not knowing it. 

He was pretty concentrated on the possible reason for her behavioral changes, and suggested some other less expensive options first.  Some seemed off the wall to me.  Others seemed like we would be just jerking around. 

My thought, and you all can certainly chime in... why jerk around...go for the likely problem first.  On the other hand, I don't want to put Lola through something unnecessarily.  I know I am over-thinking everything... I am pretty sure. 

When I took my skin kids to the dentist, they either needed work or they didn't.  There was no decision to be made.   Silly7

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:05:32 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »
LOL. I think "senior analysis" means they test almost everything on earth for a baseline at age seven.

I know... it just hit me as funny.  My "baby" has the word "geriatric" next to her name. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
I'd go ahead with a dental. If you think that it's a problem, it probably is. You know Lola better than a stranger does. In the end when something seems a LITTLE off, it's probably more off than anyone can dream.

Just saw a thing in Addison's group yesterday. Yorkie went in and was told dental was needed. Was told that they thought they'd have to remove 12 teeth.

It ended up being necessary to remove 24 teeth! Yeah. Just don't wait when you know in your gut what's going on with her.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
Now that I can see all of it, it seems pretty darned good to me. The Creatine is barely over the line, and if there was any chance of any dehydration at the time, it could have affected it some.

Same thing for every one of the few things that were barely over the line or in the high regions of reference numbers. Overall, I'd be happy as hell with those readings. It's for sure there's no Addison's disease. LOL

But I'd keep an eye on that thyroid and have it tested yearly from now on.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »
Feline Hyperthyroidism--things you should know: http://catinfo.org/?link=felinehyperthyroidism

Feline Hypothyroidism--things you should know: http://blogs.theadvocate.com/fullcourtpress/2012/02/20/symptoms-checklist/

Feline Thyroid Clinic FAQs: http://www.felinethyroidclinic.com/faq.html

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »
I'd go ahead with a dental. If you think that it's a problem, it probably is. You know Lola better than a stranger does. In the end when something seems a LITTLE off, it's probably more off than anyone can dream.

I agree with DeeDee.  Listen to your gut.  If you REALLY want to make sure, then get a 2nd opinion, but don't wait too long.  Frankly, from what you've said about Lola's teeth in the past, and the behavior changes that can with it, I think you and your gut are right.  She needs a dental.  Just my  2cents.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »
I did schedule a dental for next Friday. 

Thanks all for your input.  I appreciate you listening to me talk it all out.  I'm never too sure about my thought process. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:13:57 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Based on the behaviors you report, I too think the dental is the way to go. Especially considering she has a history of FORL.

.  Mazy cat is having many of the same behaviors now.  Very growly the last few days.  Highly unusual for her.  Sitting under the table or the chair after she eats, or when Queen Eva tries to play, or when I try to play. I think her mouth hurts.  I think that FORL tooth is really acting up now. How thankful I am that I bring Mazy cat in twice a year.  Can you imagine if waited and just noticed her behavior but didn't think to accredit it to mouth pain?

Mazy Monday, Lola Friday.  then they will be themselves again.

I hope Mazy cat having a resorptive lesion now doesn't mean she is going to get more. I think I might ask the vet to do a couple of x rays, too.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »
Doncha sometimes wish there was an "Anbesol" for cats to ease the discomfort until their dentals?  I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a good idea to use buprenex before the surgery.  Just for fits and giggles, I looked at my Pitcairn book and didn't find any homeopathics that can be used prior to surgery.  He did have some herbals, but I'm not comfortable using herbs in cats.

Crossing paws that both kitties are feeling much better soon!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:34:37 PM by Pookie »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »
Well I'd say turmeric, but it has some NSAID-like action, and might cause extra bleeding.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »
Maybe warm salt water?  IF the cat would even tolerate that?   :-\

Tags: