Author Topic: Mazy has declined supper  (Read 16884 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Mazy has declined supper
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »
Thanks Dee.  NO honey in the house I threw it away because after years of being able to eat it I suddenly developed an allergic reaction (throat closing, very scary) to it.

I am just getting up! Late sleeper haha and the first thing I did was check the litter box.  No new diarrhea over night.

It has now been 14 1/2 hours since Mazy cat ate and her last episode of diarrhea was at 10:45 last night, 5 hours and 15 minutes after the vets-best meal.  Some of it seemed a little more solid, but upon closer investigation what had looked solid was actually just MORE FUR.

I'm about to feed them now.  She's getting nothing but Rad Cat chicken today I think. Thank goodness it's a "no commitments" weekend for me.  I was planning to hike, but I can hike closer if I don't want to leave her for more than an hour.  We'll see.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »
I have started Mazy cat with a minuscule amount of Rad Cat chicken, a capsule of s.boulardii and a whole vets-best tablet. Normally I would use the SEB but I had a light bulb moment yesterday and noticed that the SEB smells funny, like it's gone 'off'. I don't even know if that's possible, but I'm not taking any chances, the SEB has quite a strong maple smell, and this jar of it no longer does, though it did when I first opened it. So I'm using the Vet's-Best instead. I added a tablespoon of warm water to this mixture and sprinkled a little PureBites chicken dust over the top to make it palatable and she ate it right up. That was at 8:14.  It is now 8:34, twnety minutes.  No puke, so I can safely assume she's not going to have an empty tummy regurgitation.  Now we wait and see.....

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »
Mazy cat has kept all meals down and has had no diarrhea so far today. She is very bright and lively.  It's going to be a challenge to get her total quota of food into her today, she's already .6 (point 6) ounces short. And of course yesterday she only had 1/3 what she normally would eat.  But I am feeling hopeful enough that I might have my original hike after all (I'll be out for about 4 hours if I go) That is...if the sleet stops hahahaha!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
In re-reading this thread over, looking for clues I realized some of you suggested she might have eaten something, a leaf or bug.  And it sparked a memory of Mazy cat eating something out on the porch.  I remember being worried about it and mystified, Mazy NEVER eats random stuff.  (except grass, which is why they no longer get to go out in their yard)

What I don't remember is WHEN that was.  I mean was it this past weekend, when the trouble started, or was it the weekend before that? I can't remember and I forgot to write it down (usually I do record strange things like that)

But I just wonder now...if that was the source of this problem.  If she ate something (leaf? bug?) out on the porch that has caused all this trouble.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »
I have started Mazy cat with a minuscule amount of Rad Cat chicken, a capsule of s.boulardii and a whole vets-best tablet. Normally I would use the SEB but I had a light bulb moment yesterday and noticed that the SEB smells funny, like it's gone 'off'. I don't even know if that's possible, but I'm not taking any chances, the SEB has quite a strong maple smell, and this jar of it no longer does, though it did when I first opened it.

I think you might have nailed it.  From Dr. Hofve's site (http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/):

IMPORTANT! Slippery Elm should have a very mild, slightly sweet taste. Several people have reported that the Slippery Elm bark they were using tasted bitter, or turned bitter with time. The cause is unknown, but it can’t be a good sign! Therefore I must recommend that you personally taste the slurry or syrup each and every time before you give it to your pet, and if it tastes bad–don’t use it!

So you might want to get fresh SEB and see if that makes a difference.

In re-reading this thread over, looking for clues I realized some of you suggested she might have eaten something, a leaf or bug.  And it sparked a memory of Mazy cat eating something out on the porch.  I remember being worried about it and mystified, Mazy NEVER eats random stuff.  (except grass, which is why they no longer get to go out in their yard)

What I don't remember is WHEN that was.  I mean was it this past weekend, when the trouble started, or was it the weekend before that? I can't remember and I forgot to write it down (usually I do record strange things like that)

But I just wonder now...if that was the source of this problem.  If she ate something (leaf? bug?) out on the porch that has caused all this trouble.

It's possible.  With Pookie, if he ate something he shouldn't (other than string), he would throw it up.  But it's also possible that eating something "bad" could cause diarrhea.

Side note:  "sleet!?!?!"  Nooooooooooo!!!!!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »
Yes, that is the article I was thinking about, thanks.  But...Mazy cat gets such a tiny amount, only 1/8 teaspoon a day, I wonder if it could affect her so violently.

The good news is, there has been no more diarrhea. But now I am left wondering...what WAS the culprit?  the new batch of Rad Cat turkey?  The "off smelling" SEB?  The By Nature turkey? Some strange thing she ate on the porch?

How will I ever know?

Yeah, there was some sleet this morning, hahaha!  It didn't stick or anything and the rest of the day has been lovely, a real fall blustery day, 38 degrees lots of puffy clouds (gray underneath) and peeking blue sky and sun shine at that funny fall angle.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
The good news is, there has been no more diarrhea. But now I am left wondering...what WAS the culprit?  the new batch of Rad Cat turkey?  The "off smelling" SEB?  The By Nature turkey? Some strange thing she ate on the porch?

How will I ever know?

There's only one way to find out, but I don't know if you'll want to do it:  try giving her the Rad Cat turkey (for example) and see what happens over 1-2, maybe 3 days.  If nothing happens, then try the SEB and again, give it a couple of days to see if anything happens.  Do the same with the By Nature turkey.  If she's fine after all of those things, then it may be what she ate on the porch.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »
I threw the SEB away.  I've ordered a different brand, all organic sourced in the USA.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PADWIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I'm giving Jennie and Queen Eva the By Nature turkey now, to see how they do on it.  Mazy threw up her Rad Cat chicken this morning and then refused to eat any more of it so I caved and gave her By Nature chicken.

She needed coaxing to eat that too.  She's crouched with a tummy ache today, probably from not having any of her usual supplements yesterday.

She was very burpy yesterday.  Even on nothing but RC chicken.  Obviously she still needs the ACV or the SEB or both, even when eating only raw.  But she won't eat the raw with ACV in it so I've got to find a canned food she can eat.

I've started her back on her EYL also. Even though she pooped out an enormous amount of fur during the diarrhea week, she's obviously washing so it is building right back up again.  There was no fur in this morning's regurgitation.

Remembering Tolly's trouble with fur now, I can't help wondering if that (fur built up) was what this was all about.  There was so much fur in all that diarrhea. It's quite possible that Mazy's body was just harboring so much of it, in spite of all I do to help her pass it, that it just created the condition.

It's also possible that this is the start of a new phase in her illness and it's not related to food, or supplements or anything else except her inflamed small intestine and I can expect to see more episodes as time goes on.

I don't know, I just don't know. 

I'm using Vet's-Best in place of her SEB until the new stuff comes in.

She just started having one of her coughing choking attacks again. Just now.  I crushed a V-B tablet and mixed it with warm water and Tiki cat juice. She drank that up and the attack passed.

I am going to start using a little Tiki cat consume over her food to try to acclimate her body to it.

Tiki cat, I hope, will become her replacement canned food as the By Nature runs out. It's not organic and it does have some odd ingredients (sunflower oil) but I have to have something.

PS I'm determined to find an organic chicken and make some bone broth while I'm on vacation (since it has to cook so long or buy a slow cooker) to keep in the freezer.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
Okay I had to go out for about 45 minutes.  When I came back someone had had a poop, softer than normal. NOT those awful giant mucosy things like Mazy cat was having but still, not normal for either Queen Eva or Jennie, OR Mazy (normally).  All three (including Mazy cat) had normal poops yesterday.

Jennie and Queen Eva had each, about .8 oz (point 8 ) of an ounce of the By Nature turkey yesterday. So if it was either of them who pooped, then perhaps I can blame the ByN turkey and just chuck all of it and be done with it.

Mazy is not feeling as well today as she did yesterday.  As I said before she didn't want Rad Cat chicken for breakfast.  She did eat the By Nature chicken, with incentives. She doesn't like it as much and it does seem to bother her tummy a little compared to the ByN turkey. At least historically speaking.

Later I gave her a little RC chicken, which she ate, but then had one of those choking hacking attacks.  Awful.

She's looking very sorry for herself.  But yesterday she was perfect.

As always with her, there is just no pattern and this may just be another phase in her illness I will have to learn to deal with.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »
I wish I had something to suggest . . .   :(

grouphug HangInThere grouphug

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
I know.  You've suggested plenty already.  Your input is invaluable and I couldn't do without out.  I've just given her some of the new batch of turkey.  She ate it well but still looks like her tummy hurts. Forgot to mention I also gave her a pepcid this morning. Full guns.

I've gotten the heating pad out and as soon as it warms up I'm going to slip it uner her Spot.  She was on the self warming bed but when Jennie moved from the favored corner of the couch Mazy cat moved into it. :)

Here's where they were when I came home from running out to my friend's freezer:

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
trying again to upload the reduced size

fogert it I give up. No picutre because I cannot reduce the size with my existing programs.

One last try

Mazy cat is now over back where Jennie was in this picture.  Looking more relaxed now.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »
I'm back to blaming the RC turkey.  Just now I found the glass container that housed Mazy's morning meal from a few days ago.  I'd stuck it back in the freezer, because I stopped feeding it.  I opened it, and could smell right away that it wasn't right..It was still frozen but..I could smell it.  I took out the batch I just cut up today (a different batch # and date) and had a deep sniff, then smelled the other batch again.  Definitely a difference.  The new batch smells sweetish.  Like it's supposed to. 

In fact after I washed the container and lid, I could still smell the bad smell on the lid.  I threw the plastic lid away.  AND one more thing, I have a very vague memory of noticing this smell, when I first cut that batch up, but brushing it off as my imagination.

I hope, when I return it, and the store sends it back to Rad Cat, and Rad Cat investigates it, they will let me know the results.  But I don;'t know if I will ever hear.

I have updated both my supplier and Rad Cat with my observations.  The thing is, most healthy cats can probably handle food if it is only a little "off" Mazy cat cannot.

Incidentally Rad Cat has changed their formulas somewhat, they are not as pristine as they used to be.  The egg shell calcium is no longer organic and they no longer use organic egg yolk.  Instead, they use "egg yolk powder" not organic either.  In addition they have removed kelp and salmon oil.  I have asked about these changes but have not received answers to my questions yet. (except that I was told they can no longer source organic egg shell calcium from the USA, so they had to go with non organic) I'll have to post this info in the Rad Cat thread.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the update, and the information!  Hopefully the new batch will be fine and not cause any problems.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 05:12:57 AM »
Another giant soft mucosy poop in the box over night. WAH!  The turkey batch is the same one I was feeding BEFORE the "bad" batch so it should be fine for her.  So what the hell is causing this?

The EYL after all this time?

Tags: