Author Topic: Mazy has declined supper  (Read 16915 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Mazy has declined supper
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
Thanks Dee.  I know.  But Mazy has no symptoms of giardia, and no way to have contracted it anyway. Tapeworms..she has no fleas, has never had. She doesn't hunt.  She has no little 'rice' eggs in her poop or where she sleeps.

I am not convinced she has parasites. The other "causes", bowel inflammation especially, or low cortisol, (listed as Addisons) I've read about are much more likely, in my opinion.

I could give her the drontal for "just in case".  I'm still thinking about it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
I think I'd give the Drontal JIC, because I give these 2 fenbendazole (Safe-Guard or Panacur) every 4 months because of our outdoor conditions here. It's just easier than letting them get sick from giardia or the million and one other things out here. Obviously Heartguard doesn't prevent what's out here, or they'd never have gotten it in the past.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
Drontal doesn't cure giardia, though.  I've opted to wait.  I don't think Mazy cat has parasites. I think her elevated numbers and lack of weight gain on an increased amount of food are from inflamed bowel issues.

With all her problems I can't even begin to imagine how sick a drontal would make her.

I just left my vet a voice mail telling her I was going to wait two weeks and monitor Mazy's weight.  If she deteriorates I will revisit the de-worming.  Mazy is due for her 6 month check up in January (when she will get her rabies vaccination, 3 year purevax this time).  I'd like to avoid that too but.... because she IS a biter, and rabies vac is law in this state, and this area is very very strict about compliance, I really can't risk her not getting it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Drontal doesn't cure giardia, though. 

Yeah, that's why I use the SafeGuard. If I'm going to give them anything, I might as well get rid of the problem we've had more than once in the past.

As far as irritated bowel, can cats have anything like turmeric or ginger?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, what were the results for her cortisol and the other things on Plechner's list to test for (IgA, IgG, IgM)?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2015, 04:56:44 AM »
We didn't do those tests Pookie.  They are separate tests, go to a different lab and would have involved taking more blood.  Mazy cat was at her limit of tolerance for the day. We talked about them and the vet knew what they were, saying they were normally used to test dogs for Addison's.  I gave her the information I had printed out that you shared with me.  I also discussed doing the EPI series, for pancreatic insufficiency.

Dee I've thought about using tumeric with Mazy but I just don't know.  She reacts so violently to any change in her diet I just don't want to make things worse.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
Mazy cat has gained one ounce since last Sunday. This was after peeing, after pooping, no food for two hours.

Last week was the half ounce loss, after peeing, after pooping, 4 hours after last meal.  Not sure how much difference the timing after the meal means.

But I think I can safely say she has gained one and a half ounce, finally, since the initial loss back in October. 5 1/2 more to go!

Thankfully I have Jennie and Queen Eva as my control group.  Their weight almost never changes. : )

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
That's great news!!!!  multistars multistars multistars
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »
Mazy did not gain or lose this week.  But she was 1.5 ounces deficient in her diet on Friday, so perhaps she would have gained a half ounce if she hadn't been unable to keep anything down through most of Friday.  She puked up all breakfast, and then puked up lunch too.  Finally Friday evening, feeding .2 oz every half hour or so until I went to bed at 1 am I managed to get a total of 3.1 ounces into her.  No other problems.

But she remains at 9 lbs 7 1/2 ounces.

Still the picture of perfect health.  Coat full and soft and shiny.  Her whiskers are turning over again and the new batch is shorter, I suspect these whiskers are the ones started when she had the diarrhea week back in October.  So it seems a whisker cycle is about 2 months.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
Is she doing better this week?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2015, 05:13:03 AM »
Regurgitation is every 3-4 days.  This is ,,"normal" for her this time of year.  Not sure if this hot weather (63 yesterday) causes more shedding.  She puked up her pre-meal this morning with a big wad of fur in it.

The struggle is getting enough food into her on a day when she pukes.  On weekends it's not too difficult but I often have to stay up until midnight on work nights to get enough food into her.  (I get up at 5) Plus she loses her extended overnight fasting time. She's now starting the day .6 oz behind. That has to be made up somehow.

But on we go, you know?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
Darn!  :(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
Weigh in time.  Mazy cat has gained a half ounce. YAAAAYYYYY!  Now, if the upward trend continues after next week I will start cutting back a little.  Don't want her too heavy of course, just want to know that she is gaining, on the extra food, so will maintain on what used to be her normal amount.

Her regurgitation cycle is still every four days though, sigh.  But that's the same as it is every year at this time.

Queen Eva however has suddenly started gaining, two ounces last week and two ounces this week.  I can't understand it, she's certainly not less active and I am not feeding her any more.

Oh I just had a thought, I wonder if it's the Rad Cat beef. I wouldn't think that would cause this much gain though she's only getting it three meals a week. But...it did replace Rad Cat Chicken for her, which was probably lower in calories and fat.  Hmmm....I'm going to have to read the numbers.  Queen Eva is usually self regulating.
Wait, one other change with Queen Eva is the cosequin. But how could that cause weight gain?

Jennie weighs the same as always 8 pounds 11 ounces.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »
Chondroitin in joint supplements causes water retention. And some people now say that glucosamine causes insulin resistance which causes weight gain.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »
Chondroitin in joint supplements causes water retention. And some people now say that glucosamine causes insulin resistance which causes weight gain.

Thank you very much Dee for this information

I've started a new thread on this part ins supplements:

Can cosequin for carts cause weight gain?

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4082.new#new

Tags: