Author Topic: Queen Eva has luxating patella  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Queen Eva has luxating patella
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
I've been getting some responses in another forum, and what is being described to me is nothing, nothing like Queen Eva's issue.  I've just called and left a message for my vet to that effect and asked if I could get x rays of her legs and feet there to start.

Since it sounds like both of her back legs are walking "funny," you may also want to have an x-ray done of her hips.  She may be compensating for something going on there.  I know it's expensive, but if you can swing it, it might be worth it, if only to rule that out.

Sending purrs . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »
I just spoke to the vet.  She's going to have to be sedated for the x rays so I'm sure the vet can do the hips too.

I'm not rushing into this though.  I need time to get settled back into work before I start taking time off and stressing about bloodwork and sedation and x rays.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 01:23:22 PM »

I'm not rushing into this though.  I need time to get settled back into work before I start taking time off and stressing about bloodwork and sedation and x rays.

I don't blame you!!!!  Take a breather. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
I don't blame you!!!!  Take a breather. 

^^^  Ditto!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
I do not think it is possible that Queen Eva has luxating patellas.  The jumps she makes, the things she gets her body into, it's just not possible.

it's been warm and the MOTHRAS are out.  I was down stairs cleaning litter boxes so had the light on, and the the moths were fluttering at the window in the door.  Queen Eva was propelling herself straight up in the air at the MOTHRAS. The window is four feet up and she was going up at least six feet.  Like she had springs on her legs, UP, drop down, UP again, drop down, UP again.

She still uses my clothes drying racks for mountain climbing.  Every night, every morning she picks her way up through the dry rack dowels.

She leaps up to the bathroom window from the edge of the tub multiple times a day.  And to get down she drops straight down to the floor.

I don't know what causes her feet to turn in like that but this cat's knees are not sliding out of their sockets.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »
When I started talking about the drying racks I had to go find this....

The Mighty Hunter

The Mighty Hunter creeps stealthily and silently toward her prey

It's only a matter of time before she pounces.....

Wot?

Look what a little baby she was then!  And there's my Tolly Sweet Pea washing his precious face,  on the Tower!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »
I have my doubts she's got LP's, BUT I will tell you that they're perfectly normal acting until they do something at some point that knocks one out of place. Sharkly would go for months without any problems, and then BOOM.

But without you seeing something obviously out of place, I don't think she can have them. Maybe strained tendons might be more likely.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 08:30:24 PM »
Everything thing seems to point to Queen Evan not having LP.  Fingers crossed!!!
Love, love, love the pictures!  Absolutely adorable.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
Everything thing seems to point to Queen Evan not having LP.  Fingers crossed!!!

Crossing fingers and paws!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

I am always amazed at how they can balance and walk on such narrow "paths."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »
Hey all.  I've scheduled Queen Eva's x rays for next Friday, April 1st with my vet.  I took the day off.  She has an appointment early Wednesday morning (March 30) for an exam and blood work since she has to be sedated for the x rays.  That's the part I dread the most of course, the anesthesia.

Friday is a "drop off". I have to drop her off in the morning, then wait to be called to come and get her.

I keep telling myself she had no bad reactions to it during her spay SHE WILL BE FINE.

There is no worsening of the wobbly ankles. She is on cosequin daily now but I don't know if it's made a difference or not.  She is as active as ever.  But I'm tired of worrying about it and feeling like I am short changing her somehow by not finding out everything I can.

I took the day off so I can relax and go get her when she's done instead of waiting untilt he end of the day and rushing over there.

The one bright note is she will be easy to fast, and I can even feed the other two.  Queen Eva is not much interested in breakfast and will probably not even notice she hasn't been fed.  funny2

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
I hope it all goes well, for both of you!   fingerscrossed GoodVibes

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 05:35:25 PM »
fingerscrossed
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan... a good one!! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
Queen Eva has now been examined by two vets (the one at her emergency, and her own vet today) and the consensus is that x rays are not necessary at this time.  ARRGGGHHH.  I wish I knew if I was making the right choice here. I didn't even get the blood work done, after all this worrying and fasting! But there didn't seem to be any point to putting her through the blood work if I wasn't going to have her go under anesthesia.

The risk of anesthesia seems like a big risk to put her through when there is absolutely no indication during two thorough physical exams, that she is painful in any way.

I was worried sick about the anesthesia but resigned to having it done, to get to the bottom of her wobbly ankles.  But with no swelling, no pain reaction to manipulations, no ANYTHING, other than the wobbling when she walks, indicating there is something wrong, it seems too great a risk.

She's always walked that way, if it is a ligament or tendon issue it wouldn't show on x rays, and..it just comes back to the fact I am very frightened to put her under anesthesia for no good reason.

So I'm back to doing nothing. Wish I knew if I was making the right choice.  Wish I had gone ahead with the blood work so I could change my mind on Friday if I decided to go ahead with it. 

I am all muddled over this now.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
grouphug

Was the anesthesia so that she could have the x-rays done?  If so, is there any way to do the x-rays without the anesthesia?  I confess to being ignorant about that.

Thinking "out loud . . . ":

- she's always walked that way
- there's no swelling
- there's no pain reaction
- x-rays wouldn't show tendon or ligament issues
- x-rays expose her to radiation
- there's always a risk (even if slight) with anesthesia

I agree with you and the vets about not doing x-rays.  She's doing well, she's not in pain, and x-rays may not even show what's going on, so I don't know that it would be worth the trouble or expense.  If she was in pain or had swelling, that would be a different story.

Is it possible an ultrasound would show something?  I toss that out there not knowing if it can even be done on ankles/legs, or if it would be useful, but I think (not positive) that ultrasounds show soft tissue better than x-rays.  And I don't think anesthesia is needed -- it wasn't when they checked Pookie to see if the cancer was in his spleen.  They do shave the area, though.

grouphug GoodVibes grouphug

Here's an idea:  if you don't think she would freak out, maybe an animal communicator could talk to Queen Eva and find out what the issue might be?   :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:28:46 AM by Pookie »

Tags: