Author Topic: Queen Eva has luxating patella  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Queen Eva has luxating patella
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
I think because of... "no swelling, no pain reaction to manipulations, no ANYTHING, other than the wobbling when she walks, indicating there is something wrong, it seems too great a risk," I would stop worrying about the wobbly ankles. 

I'm not sure I understood... why was the blood work not done? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
I think because of... "no swelling, no pain reaction to manipulations, no ANYTHING, other than the wobbling when she walks, indicating there is something wrong, it seems too great a risk," I would stop worrying about the wobbly ankles. 

Heh.  Sure, easy to say.  Believe me I would give much to be able to stop worrying.

I'm not sure I understood... why was the blood work not done? 

The purpose of the blood work was because she was going to need general anesthesia for the x rays. Since the x rays weren't happening, the blood work was not necessary. Normally I would have gone ahead with the blood work anyway.  She was fasted, all ready for it, and I like having a baseline blood panel done on them when they are youngish, to compare with when they get older.   Usually I don't start blood work until they turn 8, she is not quite 6.

But I was still struggling with the idea of not doing the x rays and didn't follow through with it. I was having a hard enough time trying to adjust my thinking to not doing the x rays. It takes an enormous amount of energy and effort for me to....reverse my thinking..that way once I have gotten myself ready for something I dread.  It took enormous energy and effort to get myself to the point where I was ready to do this.  I can't just shut it off. So I was coping with that, and didn't press for the blood work, even though as soon as I started driving home I wished I had done at least that.

I don't expect anyone to understand that, don't worry.  It's just the way I am.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »
I can understand the worrying.  Maybe try not to focus on the wobbly ankles too much?  The worrying won't help her and in fact, she'll pick up on it, and it doesn't help you either.  She's not in pain, she's getting around just fine, she's healthy and happy, and that's what's important.  It's very possible this is "normal" for her.

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
I just can't stop worrying about if it is causing her pain.  It's ridiculous I know.  I don't know if I want to use an animal communicator.  I may hear something I don't want to hear.  Thanks for the suggestion though. xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
Heh.  Sure, easy to say.  Believe me I would give much to be able to stop worrying.

I meant... the reasons you stated, are what would allow me to stop worrying. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »

The purpose of the blood work was because she was going to need general anesthesia for the x rays. Since the x rays weren't happening, the blood work was not necessary. Normally I would have gone ahead with the blood work anyway.  She was fasted, all ready for it, and I like having a baseline blood panel done on them when they are youngish, to compare with when they get older.   Usually I don't start blood work until they turn 8, she is not quite 6.

Got it!  I didn't realize (or didn't remember) that you don't have bloodwork done until they are 8. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 08:56:20 PM »

I don't expect anyone to understand that, don't worry.  It's just the way I am.

I think most of us understand where you are coming from!  HUGS

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »
I just can't stop worrying about if it is causing her pain.  It's ridiculous I know.  I don't know if I want to use an animal communicator.  I may hear something I don't want to hear.  Thanks for the suggestion though. xx

She's not acting like she's in pain (I know, they're good at hiding it) -- even when 2 different vets moved things around.  You know her better than I do, but fwiw, a cat that plays and runs and jumps like she does . . . it's hard to imagine a cat, clever as they are at hiding things, doing all that if she's in pain.  And remember, x-rays don't really show ligaments and tendons, and if there is an issue, that's likely where it would be.  That's why I mentioned an ultrasound.  A CT scan or MRI (do they have those for pets?) would probably work, too, but I'm sure they are super-expensive and not many places do them.

As for the communicator . . . you may hear something you don't want to hear, but then, doing x-rays or something else may have the vet telling you something you don't want to hear, either.  On the other hand, you may hear something that's not nearly as bad as you may think.  She may very well tell you that she's fine, that it's a genetic issue, or she may be able to give you more specific information on where the problem (if any) is, so that you have more information on what can be done to treat it, if anything.

If you really want, you can always have the bloodwork done.  But unless she had a broken or fractured bone, or some other bone issue, I really don't know if the x-rays would help diagnose why she walks the way she does.  Just my  2cents.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:57:12 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: