Author Topic: Sunday supper at my cats' house  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Sunday supper at my cats' house
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:16:05 PM »
Mazy cat had a chicken breast with Food Fur Life EZcomplete tonight

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
Re: Sunday supper at my cats' house
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:16:54 PM »
Jennie and Queen Eva had beef and chicken liver

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
Jennie enjoying her chunk of meat

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
Top video...
Have you ever considered getting a meat grinder?  Just curious if it would be worth it for you.   
Also, do you freeze the chicken, cornish hens, etc for a few months before making it into food?  I have heard that grocer store meats should be frozen for a while, but I don't remember why. 
NONE of girls jump on the counter while you are cutting up the meat?!  You have taught them well!! 

Second video...
Love hearing their little voices! 
Your swearing made the video a PG, instead of G.  KIDDING!
Is that your routine for EVERY meal?
You changed brands of probiotics?  Wasn't Nutramax your brand of choice... or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Third video...
Enjoyed watching Jennie enjoy her supper.  What a cutie pie.  Bet her teeth are in really good condition! 

Thanks for sharing.  It was fun to watch someone else's routine. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
Top video...
Have you ever considered getting a meat grinder?  Just curious if it would be worth it for you.   

I have a food processor that came with my blender.  Never used it. It's stuffed in a closet somewhere because there is nowhere to put it in the kitchen.

There are a couple of reasons I don't want to. TOO MUCH WORK, is number one.  Those things must be a real pain to keep clean. Then after grinding, have to weigh it all out into ice cube trays and the rest.  It just adds too much extra chore time and effort. Chicken breasts and chicken thighs are very easy to cut up, weigh, freeze and bag. No mess either.

Number two is, she already gets ground with her Rad Cat.  I want her to eat chunks, even if they are teeny tiny chunks.

Also, do you freeze the chicken, cornish hens, etc for a few months before making it into food?  I have heard that grocer store meats should be frozen for a while, but I don't remember why. 

You have it backwards. :) Wild meat has to be frozen at least three weeks I've also read at least a couple of months, to ensure all parasites are killed. Grocery store meat is highly unlikely to contain parasites to begin with, but it is recommended to freeze it at minus 10 (F) for at least three days before feeding. Most of it has probably already been frozen for shipment to the store, even though it is thawed when you buy it, but I still make sure it has been frozen before I use it.

Parasites don't live in the muscles and organs, though I suppose there is potential for contamination during butchering,so freezing is wise.  Parasites live in the guts.

Of course Mazy cat's Cornish hens come frozen solid all the way from Colorado.  Her organic thighs and breasts come from the grocery store.

NONE of girls jump on the counter while you are cutting up the meat?!  You have taught them well!! 

They all have their Spots and wait in them.   I don't encourage underfoot cats in the kitchen because I am a dropper, and there is no room on the counter for them haha!  So Queen Eva gets on the washing machine, or the corner of the counter behind the (human use) dish drainer (her Tail Chasing Spot) or on the floor, Jennie stays over on her side of the kitchen (she does that little dance step at the cupboard door a lot more than it shows in the video)and Mazy cat sits on the table where she is fed.

Second video...
Love hearing their little voices! 
Your swearing made the video a PG, instead of G.  KIDDING!

heh.  I dind't notice that, what on earth did I say?

Is that your routine for EVERY meal?

No.  Right now, that is supper only (plus Mazy cat's premeal when I come home from work).  Mazy cat and Queen Eva have Rad Cat in the morning and for lunch.  Jennie is still eating Tiki cat for breakfast and lunch.  Mazy cat has Rad cat at bed time, Queen Eva and Jennie have By Nature until it's gone. There isn't much left, then those two will have a chunk of muscle meat and EZcomplete or Stella&Chewy's at bedtime.

You changed brands of probiotics?  Wasn't Nutramax your brand of choice... or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Haven't changed.  Jennie and Queen Eva have always had the Natural Factor double strength.  Mazy cat takes the Nutramax Proviable DC. (she also gets Nutricology S.boulardii twice a day)

I've recently read in the IBD group that changing up the probiotics is a good idea.  I haven't looked into it further yet.  Since the routine here is still in changing mode and the canned gets weeded, I'll look into that some other time.

Third video...
Enjoyed watching Jennie enjoy her supper.  What a cutie pie.  Bet her teeth are in really good condition! 

Jennie has immaculate teeth!  Shining white with not a speck of tartar or stain. Between her whole chunks and her wing piece or neck on Sundays, she's a real pro.

Queen Eva is eating bigger chunks now.  In fact Sunday was the first time she ate all the bigger chunks of beef without me having to cut the last two pieces up for her, so her jaws must be finally getting stronger. She doesn't have any tartar either (as of October) but she does have some stain.  Probably from the canned food.  I am hoping some day she will eat bone in meals too.  Right now the only bone she gets is in Stella&Chewy's so it's all ground up. That's why I won't give up the S&C, I want her to have bone in her diet. Every now and then I try her with tiny pieces of wing but she still won't eat them.

Thanks for sharing.  It was fun to watch someone else's routine. 

Thanks for looking!  HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
You have it backwards. :) Wild meat has to be frozen at least three weeks I've also read at least a couple of months, to ensure all parasites are killed. Grocery store meat is highly unlikely to contain parasites to begin with, but it is recommended to freeze it at minus 10 (F) for at least three days before feeding. Most of it has probably already been frozen for shipment to the store, even though it is thawed when you buy it, but I still make sure it has been frozen before I use it.

Parasites don't live in the muscles and organs, though I suppose there is potential for contamination during butchering,so freezing is wise.  Parasites live in the guts.

Of course Mazy cat's Cornish hens come frozen solid all the way from Colorado.  Her organic thighs and breasts come from the grocery store.

I wasn't thinking wild meat and parasites.  I was thinking about grocery store meat and surface bacteria.  IF anyone shows signs of diarrhea, I would consider freezing for a period of time.  JUST my two cents. 

They all have their Spots and wait in them.   I don't encourage underfoot cats in the kitchen because I am a dropper, and there is no room on the counter for them haha!  So Queen Eva gets on the washing machine, or the corner of the counter behind the (human use) dish drainer (her Tail Chasing Spot) or on the floor, Jennie stays over on her side of the kitchen (she does that little dance step at the cupboard door a lot more than it shows in the video)and Mazy cat sits on the table where she is fed.

If I was a dropper, I'd have all SEVEN at my feet and/or on the counter!  lol  I just think it is cute that you don't have even one that is a rule breaker.  :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:27:52 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
I wasn't thinking wild meat and parasites.  I was thinking about grocery store meat and surface bacteria.  IF anyone shows signs of diarrhea, I would consider freezing for a period of time.  JUST my two cents. 

If I was a dropper, I'd have all SEVEN at my feet and/or on the counter!  lol  I just think it is cute that you don't have even one that is a rule breaker.  :)

Oh, I see what you were thinking, well no, freezing doesn't kill bacteria.  Freezing just stops it's growth until the meat warms up again.

I don't mean I am a dropper of food. I mean I am a dropper of things.  Knives, glasses, dishes.  It is not safe for them to be underfoot when I am in the kitchen. funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 05:15:05 AM »
Top video...

I have a food processor that came with my blender.  Never used it. It's stuffed in a closet somewhere because there is nowhere to put it in the kitchen.

There are a couple of reasons I don't want to. TOO MUCH WORK, is number one.  Those things must be a real pain to keep clean. Then after grinding, have to weigh it all out into ice cube trays and the rest.  It just adds too much extra chore time and effort. Chicken breasts and chicken thighs are very easy to cut up, weigh, freeze and bag. No mess either.

Number two is, she already gets ground with her Rad Cat.  I want her to eat chunks, even if they are teeny tiny chunks.

After getting the food processor out and using it to make the chicken breast mousse when I was trying to find soft foods Mazy cat could eat I've decided that I am going to use it for her meats instead of spending all that time cutting it up at each supper meal. 

Partly because I am still having trouble using scissors (because of the bite wound) but also I think the food processor attachment can make the meat into about the same size pieces I am making it with the scissors.

The only problem is there isn't anywhere to put the attachment when I am not using it, and I am afraid I will slice my finger off with the blade when washing it some time. And how long wil those blades last I wonder?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 07:39:29 AM »

The only problem is there isn't anywhere to put the attachment when I am not using it, and I am afraid I will slice my finger off with the blade when washing it some time. And how long wil those blades last I wonder?

My food processor and mini-chopper blades stay inside the appliance bowls when I'm not using them.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
Yes, the blades are inside the bowl.  But I have no place to put the whole thing.  It's not huge, but there is just no place for it. at least, not in the kitchen..  Every spot is already taken.  My apartment is very small.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
Ceiling hooks?   Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »
Ceiling hooks?   Silly7

Fresh!  Nope, nothing to fasten the hook to in the ceiling, it's one of those drop ceilings, just cardboard really..  I have ni idea what keeps it up. It will have to live in the closet in it's box I guess, where it was stashed when I wasn't using it.

Tags: