Author Topic: Mazy cat's arthritis  (Read 50042 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Mazy cat's arthritis
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM »
Well for goodness sake, Mazy cat just did a genuine somersault in her Crows Nest!  She does curls and spins again, but I've NEVER seen her do a somersault in there!

In fact I haven't seen her do a somersault in a long time until now.  Spins, yes, but not heels over head.

And she's dancing sideways to entice me to Game time, every night.

Okay, back to the Games

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
Well for goodness sake, Mazy cat just did a genuine somersault in her Crows Nest!  She does curls and spins again, but I've NEVER seen her do a somersault in there!

In fact I haven't seen her do a somersault in a long time until now.  Spins, yes, but not heels over head.

Okay, back to the Games

That would be a fun video to share.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »

Okay, back to the Games

I'm so glad she's feeling so much better!   kittyball
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »
That would be a fun video to share.  :)

No video.   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
Another new/old thing!!!  And I haven't seen her do this in YEARS!

One of Mazy cat's things, since she first came home was to pull open the drawer under the oven and get in it, then get behind it and push it further open.  She first started doing it to find toys she lost under there, but has always kept the habit, until the last few years.

This morning, just now, I sat here and watched her do it!

bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2017, 05:41:21 AM »
Oh if you could only see Mazy cat's New Game! She's running again and taking such joy in it!  And the running is soooo good for her, it helps keep things moving inside too.  I hope I can keep her at it for a long time to come!

How it works is..I throw her chosen toy across the room (living room to kitchen)  She races after it, usually just runs right past it and then waits.  I walk into the kitchen, pick up the toy and throw it back into the living room.  She races after it again.  In the LR there is carpet (so to sepak) and she sometimes will  bunny kick the toy.  But mostly she just wants to run!

This is a similar Game to the ones Queen Eva plays, so I wonder if that's where she got the idea.

It's only about 8-10 feet from one end to the other, but still, it's so good for her! She'll run back and forth like that at top speed for about 5 minutes, maybe a few minutes longer.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »
I am glad to hear she is running and having a good time!  It IS fun to watch the furkids run.  EXCEPT when they run up from behind and cut in front of you.  Just a matter of time before one of us (humans) trip.  Hubby and I make bets... which one of us will end up with a hip replacement first.   Silly7

I find it interesting how they all run just a bit differently.  Okay, I guess that is stupid.  People don't have the same form... why would animals.   Doh1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »

I've thought I might reduce Mazy cat's GLM to half dose for the summer.  Thoughts?

I am glad to hear she is running and having a good time!  It IS fun to watch the furkids run.  EXCEPT when they run up from behind and cut in front of you.  Just a matter of time before one of us (humans) trip.  Hubby and I make bets... which one of us will end up with a hip replacement first.   Silly7

Jennie and Queen Eva both do that to me.  I fell full length on the floor last winter. It

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »
I've thought I might reduce Mazy cat's GLM to half dose for the summer.  Thoughts?

I wouldn't. Just because it's sunny outside doesn't mean my joints feel any better. In fact, these humid, rainy days make my joints feel worse. I can't imagine that it would be any different for an animal.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2017, 10:14:36 PM »

Is there a particular reason why you were thinking of reducing the dose?  Or are you thinking along the lines of what Dee said, that the warmer weather would make the GLM less necessary (which it doesn't for her)?  Just curious.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
Thanks you guys. I'm not sure what I am thinking except...last year she seemed "fine" all summer, then as soon as it got cold her body just seized up.  The GLM gave her such dramatic relief..I worry that keeping her on the same dose, year round, when it gets cold it won't be enough anymore.  She's on the maximum therapeutic dose for a cat already.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »
Maybe just reduce the dosage during the warmer months.   :-\

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
The only reason I'm asking why is b/c there's likely a cumulative positive effect, and I'd hate to lose that and go backwards once it gets cold. If use in the summer helps continuing improvement, it just sounds like it would be a lot better on her in the long-run. This stuff isn't a pain-med that someone can develop tolerance to. It's something that actually causes a physiological change.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3525174/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »
Thank you Dee, and everyone.  I'll keep her on the usual dose.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
Mazy cat takes such joy and pleasure in jumping and leaping!  She has a new way to get into her Crow's Nest now. She used to just climb up the sisal part, it's slightly slanted like a steep ramp. 

But now she jumps onto Ootay's bench, leaps across to the Perch, jumps to the roof of the Play House, then leaps to the Crow's Nest.  It takes me much longer to write it than it does for her to do it, it's all done in a running rush.

She moves with such..joy in the moving, you know? I hope the GLM continues to provide this benefit for her for a long long time.

Tags: