Author Topic: Roxy's Vet Visit Today  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Roxy - Vaccinations
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
She is at the vet now having her teeth cleaned and at least one extracted.  Hubby dropped her off.  Vet office called and wanted to know if I wanted to update her vaccinations.  She is 9 and has had required vaccinations twice.  Twice is an assumption that previous owner had her vaccinated for everything once.  Since she didn't come with records, I had her vaccinated for whatever when she joined the family. 
My theory is/was once is good. 
I said no, but...  has anything changed that maybe I should have listened to the vaccination spiel? 

PS
Rabies is HIGHLY an unlikely issue.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Roxy - Vaccinations
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
I would have said an unequivocal no, as well.  You don't vaccinate a cat undergoing surgery and general anesthesia for crying out loud,  What the heck is wrong with that vet?

Vaccines undermine the immune system.  Roxy needs her immune system working full force to recover from her ordeal. Good grief.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »
Good point!!!  Thx.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
I don't know why vets want to vaccinate a sick/weakened pet. They've even quit asking me at the desk if I want to update either of them. Nope. Not having Barkly shedding through urine around Vlad, and Vlad's sure not getting anything.

Except rabies. Can't take them running around with us without that since the state of TN doesn't allow titers. However, three years is often enough for them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
I would have said an unequivocal no, as well.  You don't vaccinate a cat undergoing surgery and general anesthesia for crying out loud,  What the hell is wrong with that vet?

Vaccines undermine the immune system.  Roxy needs her immune system working full force to recover from her ordeal. Good grief.

BINGO.  I realize they suggest it for the owner's convenience, but her immune system has enough to deal with right now, from the surgery and anesthesia.  Hitting it with vaccines?  Heck, no.

Here's a link to Dr. Pierson's page on vaccines:  http://catinfo.org/vaccines-for-cats-we-need-to-stop-overvaccinating/#Conclusion

There is no legal requirement for FVRCP or FeLV vaccines anywhere in the world.

It is very important to understand that the current guidelines state that the FVRCP combination vaccine should not be given more frequently than every 3 years.  That is not the same as stating “these vaccines should be administered every 3 years.”

There are 5 viral diseases that cats are commonly vaccinated for:

herpes (rhinotracheitis) – the ‘R’ in FVRCP
calici – the ‘C’ in FVRCP
panleukopenia (“feline distemper”) – the ‘P’ in FVRCP
feline leukemia – FeLV
rabies
Please do not vaccinate for FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus – aka “feline AIDS”), FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis), bordatella, giardia, or chlamydia.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to vaccinate for FIV (an adjuvanted, and very ineffective, vaccine), your cat will now test ‘positive’ since the FIV test cannot tell the difference between an infected cat and a vaccinated cat.

Chlamydia vaccines used to be routinely administered but this organism is no longer considered to be a ‘core’ pathogen.  Therefore, vaccination for chlamydia should only be considered in situations where the need can be substantiated through testing.

She goes into a bit more detail about each individual vaccine on that page.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
From Dr. Hofve's site:

Experts agree that only “core” vaccines—panleukopenia and rabies for cats, and distemper/parvo and rabies for dogs—are truly necessary. All other vaccines are optional, and should only be given if the animal’s lifestyle or health considerations make them necessary.

Indoor cats do not need vaccines against Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), Giardia, Ringworm, Bordatellaor Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV, also called “feline AIDS”). Even if cats do go outside (something I don’t recommend!), the risk of contracting these diseases is very small.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/vaccination/

NOTE:  I strongly recommend reading the entire site from Drs. Hofve and Pierson, and not just the excerpts here.  They go into much more detail and these recommendations may vary depending on your cat's lifestyle (strictly indoor, indoor/outdoor, etc.)

And per Dr. Pierson, panleukopenia really only needs to be administered to kittens.

1) A single, properly-timed, FVRCP vaccine confers life-long immunity to  panleukopenia (the most serious disease among the 3 that the FVRCP targets) in the vast majority of cats.  Those very few cats that may not be protected are considered to be ‘non-responders’ and giving them more vaccines is unlikely to help.

NOTE:  I strongly recommend reading the entire site by Drs. Hofve and Pierson and not just the excerpts posted here.  They go into much more detail and the recommendations may vary depending on your cat's lifestyle (strictly indoor, indoor/outdoor, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:14:15 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
This vet was anti-over vaccinating for many years.  He goes back and forth... apparently.   bangshead
The phone call asking me if I wanted Roxy vaccinated caught me off guard.  Plus, I wasn't expecting a phone call of ANY kind.  My heart was racing, when I saw WHO was calling me!  And I could hear Roxy in the background.   :'(

I am SO glad that I wasn't the one to drop her off!  If asked in person, I probably would have said yes.  (I'll explain that some other time.)

It was a last minute decision for hubby to drop her off, instead of me.  Since the receptionist hasn't seen him in a zillion years, she probably thought he was just the drop off guy... not Roxy's dad...so she called me, instead of asking him.  ;)  Funny... because the account is in his name. 

I knew someone once that had a HATRED for vets.  I got it... to a point.  I get it more and more with each vet visit... to ANY vet!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
Speaking of vets.  They just called.  She is doing fine.  I can pick her up in 3 hours.  I wonder if they remembered to do a urinalysis.  She didn't have any urine in her bladder, when I took her for the blood work. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
Speaking of vets.  They just called.  She is doing fine.  I can pick her up in 3 hours.  I wonder if they remembered to do a urinalysis.  She didn't have any urine in her bladder, when I took her for the blood work. 

Call them back and remind them.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
Call them back and remind them.

I've been thinking about it.  I hate to put Roxy through another vet visit.  But...I'm also a little nervous.  What if the vet is pizzed that I didn't jump on his vaccination recommendation?  What if he is thinking...Miss Know It All doesn't want to vaccinate, but it is okay for me to do a urinalysis.   (said with a snarky tone)

I've read books...the cranky patient doesn't always get the most gentle care!  In this case, Roxy could pay for the mom stepping on the doctor's toes. 

Yes, my mind is mush today.  BUT I did tick him off once, when I wasn't all gung ho with feeding Roxy (of all cats!) Hills carp.  I did as he asked, but I didn't do hand stands at his recommendation.  He was not happy that I didn't buy into their "science" is proof carp.  Remember the chin bumps issue?  He said it was raw food.  It was a reaction to the Pepcid HE prescribed. 

I know some are wondering... why do I go to this vet?  There are not a lot of choices.  I have to pick the lessor of the evils.  He is our back-up vet and first choice for dentals.  Not all vets are capable of doing GOOD dentals... even if they say they can. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
To clarify :)

Everything I have ever read, learned, experienced... as far as pet dentals... this vet checks everything on the list.  He also furthered his dental schooling.  Mannnnny vets only dental knowledge is learned during their initial vet schooling.  I wouldn't personally have dental work done by an MD.  I don't want my furkids to have dental work done by "just" a vet. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:18:53 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
I am leaning towards asking about the urinalysis when I am THERE to pick up Roxy.  If they forgot, at least I will be there.  Maybe I'll take a be-nice-to-my-cat-bribe in the form of a gift.   During the last visit, he mentioned being a little more open to raw feeding.  Maybe I'll take him a copy the book "Your Cat."  Silly7

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
Roxy is home.  I feel better.  Hope she does!   She hardly meowed on the way home.  She did eat her lunch meal.  Still pretty loopy.  Normally, I leave a cat locked in a room with me.  I like to keep an eye on him or her.  She wants no part of that.  Trying to decide if I should force her... and stress her out. 

She had one tooth extracted.  No dental disease.  Took full mouth x-rays.  Missing 5 other teeth. 

Urinalysis done after I got there.  Will have results next week.  Got copies of the blood work. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
I know I have been a rambling idiot all day.  I would apologize, but the odds are I am not going to change.  The only way to not share my freaking out on a day at the vet... stay off the computer. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
I am very glad you've been posting today. Thanks for the update on Roxy!  What did you decide about keeping her in the room with you or letting her roam?

Tags: