Author Topic: Warming canned food w/o electricity  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Warming canned food w/o electricity
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:30 AM »
Sorry, CC, I should have been more clear.  I use the defrost setting for 10-20 seconds, depending on whether I've just opened the can or if it's been in the fridge all day, then stir the food A LOT to distribute the heat and do the finger test.  I think you're right that microwaves heat the food from the inside out -- I think I've heard that before.  Hopefully, if Pookie is okay with the "Bumpurr" method of warming, I won't have to warm his food in the microwave anymore (though I will heat the water that way).

Funny thing is, no one ever told me to warm canned food in the first place.  Pookie and his sister had so many digestive issues that I wondered if part of it was the food temp, and I thought it couldn't be easy on the tummy to eat cold food and that it couldn't hurt to warm it, and the easiest/fastest way I could think of was the microwave.  That was long before I learned about feline nutrition and found the online forums, and I'm clearly still learning.  I truly appreciate having places like this to go to for information.  One of the hardest things, when my kitties were having all their problems, was in feeling like I was the only one going through this and that I had no one to go to for help (my vets weren't much help).  Having you guys to "talk" to is such a relief, because I finally have a resource of knowledgeable people who are willing to answer questions, and I thank you all for that.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
I'm just going to mention something that a friend of mine pointed out when I brought up the "microwave debate".

First, basic chemistry.... what happens when you heat something?... what is the actual molecular behavior?
Answer:  molecules "speed up" when they are heated.  And when they are heated (sped up) to a certain degree, the molecules will break down & even release into the air (smoke & steam).

Next, how do microwaves function? 
They create a wave vibration that causes molecules to "speed up", thereby creating heat and "cooking" the substance.
There are also magnetic "burners" that perform similarly.

When you see these mass e-mails warning of the dangers of cooking your food by microwave, they often cite the "breakdown" of nutrients, oils & proteins....
Well folks, guess what... the same exact thing happens in the skillet, on the barbeque, in the saucepan, veggie steamer, or in your conventional oven!

It's not the microwaves that cause the breakdown, it's HEAT.

My friend also pointed out to me that many of those mass e-mails are circulated by vegetarian or raw foodie groups.  So... it's always a good reminder to consider the source of information.

Now, I personally believe there is a balance here.
Microwaves are a contrived mechanism, as are those lovely magnetic burners.  And while I have no qualms about using the technology to heat a specific food or beverage item, I AM wary of those little buggers affecting ME. 
And that is indeed why microwave ovens are constructed very specifically to guard against wave leakage, and also why it's important not to use a microwave that's been damaged or has run to the end of its life.

2cents 2cents 2cents 2cents 2cents

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
Does Bump gotta do everything, mol?  :P

If ya gots a gas stove, ya heats the water on that.

Or, go to Sears, or similiar kind of store, goes to the camping section, and gets the biggest coffee thermous you can finds. When the power goes out, there is still hot water in the tank, so ya runs the water, until it comes out hot, then fill the coffee thermous with hot water, it lasts for hours.

Or if ya really loves Pookie, and ya doesn't wants him to come live with Bump, get this, it runs on a 12 volt battery. Cause Bump gots a gas stove, and he always gots hot water, to warm his baby foodies, his mommy gots horsies, and horsie people is creative.

http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/hotwater.html

You may bow to the Bump now.  Respect The Star.

thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 clapping1 TexasFlag CatsterBath2 iwin bumpgif survivorgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
An easier solution:

Add another cat to the family, so there are no left overs that have to be refrigerated.   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 08:49:27 AM »
An easier solution:

Add another cat to the family, so there are no left overs that have to be refrigerated.   Bumpurr1

If only that really worked, LOL!  Usually what happens is that the new cat who is supposed to take up the left over food slack either is incredibly finicky, insisting on a whole other food line, or ends up needing a special diet, also resulting in a whole other food line, each scenario presenting even more left over food. funny2

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Bump:   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »

http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/hotwater.html

That is a really nifty electrical water heating dohicky-thinga-majig. 

But what really interests me on that site are the wind turbines and solar systems.
Bookmarked!   thumbsup1

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Ya, mol, they got really big ones, which I didn't think Pookie needed, mol.  :-*

In the winter, water buckets freeze, and horsies still needs water, so we gots those thingys to stick in their water buckets and stock tanks, some runs on electricity, some runs on batteries, go to a horsie supply store, they gots all kindy of neat thingys.  thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag cowHello iwin bumpgif

Tags: