Author Topic: Shadow back from the Vet  (Read 11085 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Shadow back from the Vet
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Ok im not sure how to quote from all different people in one message.

Doesn't matter to me how you answer...or post.  But if you are interested, there is multi-quote button near the regular quote button.  You will see it, when viewing, the posts that you want to quote.  
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
See 'add multi quote'?  click on it for each post you want to quote, then hit reply. Here is when it can get confusing because posts you chosen will appear clumped together on reply screen.
 Look for this -->  [ /quote]   <--  at the end of each post. You'll want to hit enter after it to leave a space, and type your response. For example I've quoted two of your posts and typed my response between [ /quote] following your first post and [ quote  author=Shadow link=topic=743. msg4391#msg4391 date=1315779490] preceding your second.

Sorry.  Didn't see this "explanation."    :P

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
thanks Lola

Wilson is going to the Vet today, going in at 345pm that is as soon as I can get him in.  He is still not eating on his own :(
Shadow is doing a little better, but still not eating as much as she should. She will be going to Vet tommorow, they can only take one cat today.
This sucks!!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
Sending purrs & puppy kisses.
 grouphug
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Back from the Vet, Xrays were done on Wilson, and there is no blockages, he seems to think that Wilson is fine. It could have been the food I gave them. He wanted to do bloodwork, but will wait until tommorow to see what happens tonight.
He gave me some (ok here it goes) the dreaded Hills AD canned to force feed.  Guess what Wilson and Shadow both scarfed it down.  No forcing needed. I only have a little bit left, so what do you all think??

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:20 PM »
I think I am very very happy that it's not a blockage.   purplekat

As for the food, well, there comes a point where you need to get them to eat something.
After looking at the ingredients, I'm not surprised they scarfed it down; looks like lots of liver in it... yummy!     eat1 pizzagif
The corn flour is a little disconcerting, but the small glimmer of good is that it's in wet food... which means the starches are as swollen with moisture as they can possibly get, so hopefully they won't expand in the digestive system.  They will make things "stick" together, though, so poopies should firm up.

I'm sure it'll be fine for a temporary thing. :)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:45 AM »
No such luck ...Wilson just puked it all back out!! I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown. :'(
the syringe does not work very well that the Vet gave me, and when I tried to give him his regular food he puked that too.
I guess that he is going to have to be hospitalized, this is killing me, if he does go to hospital, he is such a sensitive cat, he stresses so much I dont think he is going to make it through this.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 02:05:58 AM »
Awwww, carp.

Is Shadow reacting the same?

There is one other thing I remembered from Pippin's sick days, found it again on the feline diabetes forums:
Liver Shake for Sick Cats

short quote:
1 cup RAW LIVER (BEEF, or CHICKEN)
1 cup FRESH CARROT JUICE or V-8, or Tomato Juice
1/4 cup *FRESH FILTERED WATER
1 RAW EGG YOLK
1 tsp.KELP POWDER OR SPIRULINA

COMBINE AND MIX IN A BLENDER UNTIL LIQUEFIED. (Note: it will be frothy)

Dosage:
Administer 10cc daily 3-6 times a day. (6Occ per day max)

Some cats will need to be force-fed with a syringe, while others will drink it out of a bowl.
This food has a sweet and salty taste, and the energetic properties of tonifying (energy boosting), warming and stimulating and supports the kidneys, spleen, liver and stomach.
This drink is a complete dinner for a sick cat until they feel good enough to eat by themselves again.

It's a "soupy shake/drink" that was concocted by a holistic vet (Dr. Ihor Basko) several years ago.  I've seen it mentioned in other forums, so it seems to be one of those things that makes the rounds.  It's only for short term use, to get kitties to eat after being sick.

In the meantime, try to keep calm.  If Wilson is that sensitive, he could be picking up on your own stress and worry.

((((hugs))))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:09:21 AM by FurMonster Mom »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »
No such luck ...Wilson just puked it all back out!! I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown. :'(
the syringe does not work very well that the Vet gave me, and when I tried to give him his regular food he puked that too.
I guess that he is going to have to be hospitalized, this is killing me, if he does go to hospital, he is such a sensitive cat, he stresses so much I dont think he is going to make it through this.

I'm sorry you are going through this but remember to stay positive!  Positive thinking positive thinking!  Not, "I don't think he's going to make it through this" but "We WILL get through this".  It makes a difference, really it does.  Remember, they feel what you feel so try to stay up beat around them.  I know it's easier said than done, and I know the fear when a kitty has to be kept at hospital.  But you guys will get through it.

Is Shadow doing better?

Praying for Wilson, I know you will keep us posted.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
Hope today has GOOOOOOD news for ALL of you!   cat3

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
Have you tried to give Wilson a 1/4 of a pepcid about 30 minutes before feeding?  Is it possible that he may have barfed up his food due to stress from the vet visit?

I've had it happen where Pookie will barf his food, and then the 2nd feeding so I'll give him a 1/4 pepcid 30 minutes prior to feeding and it does help.  What I do these days, after he barfs, is wait 40 minutes to let his tummy calm down, then give him a VERY small portion of his food.  Wait another 40 minutes, next very small portion.  Wait 40 minutes and if everything's ok, go back to his regular portion.  This almost always works, and if it doesn't, he'll get the pepcid.  (Actually, these days I give him a dose of nux vomica instead, which is a homeopathic remedy, but the pepcid is probably easier to find.   ;D)

I hope today is a better day for everyone!   grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
Hubby went out and bought some tuna, while he was doing that Wilson had a few licks of Shadows regular food.
then he ate some Tuna.  I have syringe fed him some chicken baby food. He was using his scratching post, but will just sit at the patio window watching for birds. My sister in law gave me some Eagle Pack supplement last night, so put that in the baby food.  Im going to go out and look for this pepcid AC, Alex's mum told me about this stuff too Pookie. Do I crush the tablet, or just try and pill him? how long does it take to work?
My sister inlaw feeds Wellness Salmon and Turkey with a bit of Almo on top, and Evo kibble as a treat at bedtime.
She noticed before when their cat got sick, it was everytime they were at the end of the bag of Evo. Well im at the end of my bag, lots of crumbs, and it expires next month. I give them this as a treat sometimes about 5 pieces.                      The day before they got sick, I remember giving Wilson a bit more before I went to work, this could be the culprit!! its in the garbage!!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »
The generic name for Pepcid is famotidine.  You want the 10mg and don't want the extra strength.  I don't remember how big Wilson is, but Pookie's about 13.5 lbs and gets 1/4 of a pill.  You'll need to just pill him, then wait 30 minutes before feeding.

I also just got this from ibdkitties.net:  Tip #5: Use aloe vera for digestive issues instead of pepcid or other antacids. It works great for vomiting or inflammation, but be careful not to use too much, it can cause diarrhea. Give it either straight in a syringe or mixed with something else like food, works best if given about 30 minutes before eating. It can be added to their water as it has no taste at all, but make sure it doesn’t deter them from drinking. If so, give it in the syringe or food. Follow the dosing for children on the back of the bottle or get your vet’s advice on how much to give. It must be 100% Pure distilled Aloe Vera, nothing else added.
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=IU-1002

I have a hunch you're on to something with the end of the bag being the problem.  I'm crossing my paws that that's the issue and Wilson and Shadow are back to normal very soon!   grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
With Pepcid AC, imperative, it is NOT extra strenght, NOT. You want the 10 mg, and its 1/4 tablet every 24 hrs.

The pills are small anyhow, so a 1/4 of the pill is real small. I give them a lick of baby food on my finger, dip the little pill in baby food, and put it in their mouth, they usually just swallow it, then another lick of baby food off my finger.

This is how they got Smokey to eat, when she had her liver issues, and really didn't want to eat, it made her tummy feel better.

Sorry this is rushed, getting ready for a show, just popped in to see how Shadow is doing.  cat4 bumpgif   

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Thanks for popping in Bump...Wilson just ate some food about a tablespoon all on his own, yippee!!! I gave him the 10mg 1/4 tablet a few hours ago.  I think he is on the mend, and Shadow was actually playing and eating more too today.
So I celebrated and had a nice hot bubble bath. The weather has suddenly turned cooler here too. Time to break out the winter clothes, lol!
Thanks everyone for all the help and support, you dont know how much it means to me.  Will keep you updated!!
 grouphug

Tags: