Author Topic: How much cold can cats tolerate?  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
How much cold can cats tolerate?
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:40 AM »
We got slammed with that snowstorm this Saturday and I lost power.  By Sunday I was panicking because the temperature in the house was dropping, they were forecasting temps in the 20's that night, and I didn't even have phone service.  So I packed up Pookie and went to my parents' since they have a woodstove, thinking at least he'd be warmer.  I really didn't want to take him there, though, because he's a very nervous, jumpy, shy kitty, and I wasn't sure how he'd do in such strange surroundings (would he eat?  if so, would he keep it down?).  Oh, and he'd have to be confined to one (very small) room because my parents have a large dog.

In the end, though, I got VERY lucky (thank you, God) and my power came back on not long after I got to my parents'.  So I had to pack everything back up and we went home.

So my question is, how much cold can cats tolerate?  At what point would it have been too cold in the house for him, to justify my putting him through that stress?  Any suggestions on how to keep warm in a place with no electricity, no fireplace and where propane is not allowed?

Thanks!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: How much cold can cats tolerate?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
In the winter, I typically will open a straw bale and then spread it around so it is a large pile.  The cats burrow into that...probably not an option for a house cat though :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
That is an interesting question. 
I wonder if it makes a difference for outdoor vs indoor cats?  Or what a cat is used to?
I guess I would go with...if it is too cold for me, it would be too cold for the pets.  Meaning...if I left the house, due to cold temps, the pets would go with me. 
I don't really deal with any extreme cold temps where I live.  Any power failures, during the winter, are more inconvenient than anything else.
Extreme heat is usually our problem...if we have one.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
Kitties that are outside all the time, are fine, as long as they have food, which the digestion, is what helps keep them warm, same principal for horses, and they have shelter, out of the wind and wet, same with horses, as mother nature grows them a fur coat.  My barn cats were fine, they were fed extra in the winter, and had the hay, they could borrow into. I even put blankies in the hay for them, the kitties, not the horsies, they had waterproof winter blankets, in at night, out during the day, with a run in shelter, unless it was very cold or very windy and cold.

During the day, when I am at work, I turn the heat down, like around 50-55, same at night. This is what they are used to, they have blankies to sleep on, which kinda have nooks and crannies, per say, like little scoops, cause the blankies are pulled over the bears. Some even burrow in the bears, and one will go under the blankies.  If its like zero out, then I turn the heat up to 60.  When I am home at night, I turn it up to 70, for a few hours.

This is what they are used to, and they are fine, none acts like they are cold.  Being MC's they have a pretty long and thick coat, as MC's were designed, per say, to survive the harsh winters.

Many years ago, we had an ice storm, power was out for a week, no heat, no water, no power, for a whole week, and no where to go. I did have a gas stove, and turned it on periodicly, during the day, off at night. It got down to prob 40's.  Even tho there was a little heat, per say, in the kitchen, they didn't hang out there, and they were all fine.

You could get a bed, that is in the shape of an igloo, have seen them at petsmart, and put a blanket in there, if your concerned.  Even tho they are house kitties, most will adapt to their surroundings. You could also get one of those sweaters, like they put on little doggies, that have to go outside.  Mine would wear them, they wear their halloween costumes, but they prefer sleeping on the blankies.

cat4 ::) :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif     

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
THIS is when it is too cold inside.  Bumpurr1

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: