Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
What do you think about this?
« on: December 27, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
I've been getting home lately, either from work or visiting family, and was thinking about getting a timer feeder so Pookie can have something to nibble on without having to wait for me to get home.  So I was thinking about getting a timer feeder, possibly like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Electronic-Programmable-Portion-Control/dp/B004SBSNB0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1325023378&sr=8-9   and putting freeze dried raw in it (like Stella and Chewy's), maybe with water in the bottom so the raw will fall into the water and be rehydrated.

Thoughts?  Do you think this would work?  I could skip the water part and just put a very small (1/2 patty) piece in the feeder so he doesn't need lots of water, but wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it either way (with or w/o the water).

Thanks!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: What do you think about this?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:56 PM »
I like this feature "Record a personal message for you pet."   Bumpurr1
The reviews are pretttty close to 50/50 - 5 stars vs 1 star.

I THINK I've seen ones for wet food...??
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »
I had a timer feeder that you could use for wet food, but he doesn't like sticking his face in the small compartment.  I originally got it when I was dry feeding and he would scoop the kibble out onto the floor so he could eat it.  I was going to use it for the freeze-dried raw (no water) but the timer on that feeder isn't working anymore.  I was using the one shown in the link as an example of how I would (try to) rehydrate the raw (and the basin the food would fall into might be big enough that he wouldn't mind putting his face there, but I may not get that particular feeder.  I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on if it was a good idea to do it that way (rehydrate) or if that would be a bad idea due to bacteria or something.  I'd probably set it for around 4:30pm.  On a good night, I get home around 6:30p, but there haven't been a lot of good nights recently.  So if he gets a little something around 4:30, and I get home at 7 or later, at least he'll have had something to snack on.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:31:09 AM by Pookie »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
This is the one that i use for wet food. I cant put ice packs in the bottom of it.  My cats do not mind it at all. I only use it if we have to go somewhere overnight and wont be back till the next morning
http://www.shopping.com/Cat-Mate-C20-Automatic-Pet-Feeder-10-25-X-8-25-035368002014/prices

mine is called Petmate
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »
Two independent 48 hour battery operated timers
2 dry or fresh meals at any required time over a maximum period of 48 hours
Two separate 1# meals may be served individually, or both at once for two pets

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Mate-C20-Automatic-Feeder/dp/B0013IX9YC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325106871&sr=8-1-spell

Looks pretty cool!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Thanks!  Sooo, my next question is, would it be okay to put wet food in there and NOT use the icepacks?  Pookie seems to be sensitive to temperature, so I warm his food for him a little before I feed him.  Do you think the lids would keep the food fresh enough without me having to use the icepacks?

Worst case scenario, I just put a small piece of freeze-dried raw in there (no water added) so he has something to hold him over until I get home.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
Pookie, do you feed dry, at all? I forget everybody's situaton, m-o-l.  :D

The reason I ask, is I have a solution, its what I do.  :-*

Another thought, and I am prob the only one, on here, that thinks like this, m-o-l, but it does work.  thumbsup1

Alot of kitties, are used to a set schedule, but when something disrupts the sched, they get upset. Mine are trained, to accept any situation, anything that might come up. They don't get upset, they just go with the flow.
They do anything I ask, never question it, they know they are not going to be harmed, they know its just temp.
Makes a huge difference. 

We have one judge, that points this out, when a kitty gets scared, at a show. He says, the only time the kitty goes out, is to the v-e-t, which alot don't like, so they associate going to shows, with going to the vets, the table, the strange man handling them. He will tell us, turn around, what do you see? Of course, we see nothing, so he tells us, look at all the people, the noise, the commotion, your kitty takes his nappys, when mommy/daddy go to work, the house is quiet, this is what he is used to, now your taking him out of his comfort zone. 

Mine start shows at 4 months old, they sleep all the way, 5 hrs one way is the norm, sometimes its 7 hrs one way. We hit all kinds of traffic, weather, stops for bathroom, coffee, they just take it in stride. All show halls are different, some have high ceilings, some have very loud blowers, alot of people, noise, commotion, different cats near them, getting handled all day long, by different judges, different show hotels, mine just go with the flow, very very well behaved.  They started learning at 8 weeks old.

Going to the vet, to them, is just like going to a show, the travel, the different atmospher, the people, the different animals, the screaming kids, the table, the man/lady in the white coat, its just another show to them, very very well behaved.

I leave ballpark 1-2am in the morn, which means they get fed at midnight, not their norm. They get snackies when they get to the show. They get snackies thru out the day, depending on the class sched.  They like to come out on their bench table, see the peoples who ou and ah over them, don't let them touch them, they love seeing all the people, will even sometimes spot my friends they know, in the crowd, and meow a hello.
Another 5-7 hr ride home, and get fed, an hour after they are home. Certainly not their normal schedule, they just go with the flow.

My hrs at work are nuts. Sometimes the early shift, sometimes the late shift, until 10pm, which means they get fed late, real late. When I have to work late, I give them snackies before I leave, to tide them over. To them, its just "show mode".

They were trained, to accept all situations, they don't get upset, they just do with the flow. I never have to worry, its going to upset them.  :-* Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

Where is our Merry New Years stuff, m-o-l.  >:( :P :-*       

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
Hi Bump!

Nope, no dry whatsoever.  Believe me, in some ways it would be easier if I did, but it makes him sick.   :(  He does get fed twice in the morning, the 2nd time just before I leave for work.  Then he gets fed as soon as I get home, and if I'm really late, or he's all worked up, I feed him smaller-than-normal portions.  But I feel bad doing that because he may not get the last portion until almost 9pm, which seems a bit late to me.

I'm just looking to give him something to hold him over until I get home, assuming I'm running late.  I don't know if canned will be okay (sitting in a feeder all day) or I may just put a small piece of freeze-dried raw in it.

What were you going to suggest?

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »
If you are putting wet food in it I would not worry about it. I thought you would be putting raw in it. Though I still would put some ice packs in the bottom, this will help it stay a bit cooler.  Exactly how many hours are you gone for?? a cat will be fine for 12 hours.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
Sorry, was throwing toys for the kittens, and trying to do posts too, m-o-l, most of the time, they bring them back, but sometimes, I gotta go get them, m-o-l.  :D

If you don't mind me asking, what are your ballpark hours? Mostly, mine are 9-5. I feed them when I get up, and when I get home. Sometimes gotta run errands after work, so they get fed a little late.  They don't get upset, they know, sometimes schedules are a little off, like when they go to shows.

When the kittens were little, they got fed 3 times a day. In the morn, after work, before bed.

When I have to work the 3-11 shift, I fed them in the morn, gave them snackies, to tide them over, just before I left for work, then fed them when I got home at midnight.  Again, they are used to show schedules being a little off, so it didn't upset them.

Their snackies, are a few handfuls, of their dry food, scattered around the room. They got to eat somethng, and they got to hunt for it, kept them busy.

I don't like the idea, of leaving wet down, for any length of time. Mine eat theirs in about 5 min. If one is not eating, I pick it up, and throw it out. As it doesn't take long, for bacteria to grow.  

I think, if your going to be late, then he gets fed late. Work is one thing, you have no control over that. But if its visiting family/friends, then go home and feed him first.  Have had to tell many a friend, I can go, but I have to feed Bump first, or he will call 911, m-o-l.  He knows how to say "kitty abuse, kitty abuse" in the phone.  :D :P :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:18:22 PM by Lola, Reason: edited out \"dead\" space. :) »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
The cats "time" breakfast by hubby's alarm clock.  That time changes 3x a year...up to a 3 hour difference.  They don't seem to notice.  Apparently the alarm tells them they are hungry, and not so much their tummies. 
Hubby used to always feed the cats their second meal of the day.  They would go by the sound of his vehicle, and not the time of the day.  The reason I know that...someone else in the neighborhood got the exact vehicle.  The cats would hear that vehicle and want to eat.  Try explaining to 7 cats ... the odds are slim that the neighbor is going to feed them.   Bumpurr1   
Anyway, my point is...a schedule is best (for all involved), but our bunch seem to go more by what WE are doing, before we feed them.  Not so much by the hour of the day.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
The cats "time" breakfast by hubby's alarm clock.  That time changes 3x a year...up to a 3 hour difference.  They don't seem to notice.  Apparently the alarm tells them they are hungry, and not so much their tummies. 
Hubby used to always feed the cats their second meal of the day.  They would go by the sound of his vehicle, and not the time of the day.  The reason I know that...someone else in the neighborhood got the exact vehicle.  The cats would hear that vehicle and want to eat.  Try explaining to 7 cats ... the odds are slim that the neighbor is going to feed them.   Bumpurr1   
Anyway, my point is...a schedule is best (for all involved), but our bunch seem to go more by what WE are doing, before we feed them.  Not so much by the hour of the day.

LOL that is funny, my cats will do the same thing. hubby feeds them a snack before bed time, but now I get home a little later and they want to be fed again. NOT!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
LOL that is funny, my cats will do the same thing. hubby feeds them a snack before bed time, but now I get home a little later and they want to be fed again. NOT!!

Ours do that too!  If I feed the cats before hubby's alarm goes off, I have to leave him a note that they have been fed...or the felines will LIE.  I started leaving the note, because he did feed them once after I did.  They didn't eat much, so he was worried they were all sick or something.

The dogs don't try ANY tricks.  They don't have a sneaky bone in their bodies!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
I leave around 7:15 or 7:30am and on a good day, get home around 6:30pm.  Problem has been there haven't been a lot of good days . . .  :(  Either I've been working late, or late getting home due to errands so that my Saturday is open so I can visit family.  My dad's been having a lot of health problems and I'm trying to help my mother maintain the house/property and "senior-proof" the house.  They're a solid 45-50 minute drive away from where I live.  I feed him before I leave (~9:30am) and haven't been getting home until 7:30 or 8pm.  I think he gets mad/upset that I'm gone so long, or else he gets over-excited, because if I give him a regular portion when I get home, he sometimes barfs it up.  So my thinking was that by getting a feeder, he'd have something to hold him over if I'm late getting home.

Shadow, I'd been thinking the freeze-dried raw because of the feeder I'd hoped to use, but the one you showed me could work.  My concern about using a cold pack for the wet is that he doesn't seem to handle cold food very well.  Depending on how long it takes the pack to thaw, and what time the feeder is set to open, it's possible that the food would be at a temperature that he could handle.  I'm sure I'd have to play around with it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
I leave around 7:15 or 7:30am and on a good day, get home around 6:30pm.  Problem has been there haven't been a lot of good days . . .  :(  Either I've been working late, or late getting home due to errands so that my Saturday is open so I can visit family.  My dad's been having a lot of health problems and I'm trying to help my mother maintain the house/property and "senior-proof" the house.  They're a solid 45-50 minute drive away from where I live.  I feed him before I leave (~9:30am) and haven't been getting home until 7:30 or 8pm.  I think he gets mad/upset that I'm gone so long, or else he gets over-excited, because if I give him a regular portion when I get home, he sometimes barfs it up.  So my thinking was that by getting a feeder, he'd have something to hold him over if I'm late getting home.

Shadow, I'd been thinking the freeze-dried raw because of the feeder I'd hoped to use, but the one you showed me could work.  My concern about using a cold pack for the wet is that he doesn't seem to handle cold food very well.  Depending on how long it takes the pack to thaw, and what time the feeder is set to open, it's possible that the food would be at a temperature that he could handle.  I'm sure I'd have to play around with it.

Since Shadow is showing signs of being upset and barfing, once fed...I vote for the feeder, cold packs, and canned food.  Maybe do a test run with the feeder to find out how long it takes for the food to be more room temperature, rather than cold. 
Sorry to hear about your father's health issues.  :(  That is great you are so much help to your mother and him. 

Tags: