Author Topic: He's driving me nuts!  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
He's driving me nuts!
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
I just need to rant for a minute:

Sunday I gave Pookie the Instinct chicken.  He's eaten it before and I thought he was ok with it, but Sunday he decided he just wasn't interested.  I had to keep sprinkling the Eagle Pack on it to get him to eat, and this was with EVERY meal.  Ok, I got the message, he doesn't really like it so I'll return it to the store.

Yesterday I give him the Instinct duck.  Since he can be fussy with the duck, I made sure to "taste test" one of the cans from the crate with him and he liked it.  Welllll, yesterday, not so much.  This time I sprinkled Pure Bite crumbs on it.  Came home from work and he'd only eaten maybe half of what I put out.  I had to keep using the Pure Bites and encouraging him to eat his dinner.

Soooooooo, today I give him the Wellness turkey & salmon.  He loves the stuff, though if it's got 7W on the bottom, it takes a little encouraging.  He didn't want it.  He ate a little after I added the Pure Bites, then horked up a hairball with the food.  Later I tried to get him to eat more--no thanks.  Sprinkled Eagle Pack and he FINALLY started eating it.

It's not like I have a huge selection to feed him as it is, because he's so picky, and I don't want to keep taking stuff out of the rotation.  He’s acting normal in every other way:  playing, grooming, everything.  AUGH!  He’s driving me nuts!   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead pullingouthair pullingouthair pullingouthair pullingouthair

Ok, rant over.  Thanks for letting me vent.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: He's driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
Wow, I could have almost written that message myself, just change the brand names.  My boy also has gone on a "I  don't like that" "I don't like this" "how can you put such slop in front of me" strike.   He, too is acting in perfect health otherwise, but is just plain refusing to eat more than a couple bites of anything offered, foods that he has eaten with great enjoyment, foods that have been here several months, NONE are new to him batches, the only food he will eat is....(guess what) the FLUTD cat's c/d kibble. Since he will eat that without problem (though I refuse to give it to him) I know he is not sick, just finicky.  But my gosh, it's a wonder I am not bald.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
Ours do best if I stay with two brands.  And two brands only.  My "dream" was to feed several brands/flavors (to keep them as safe as humanly possible, while feeding commercial wet food).  They, apparently, don't share my dream.

The dogs are soooooo much easier.  They greet me with a smile, at meal times, and give kisses when they are done.   :-*  They have never turned their noses up at ANYTHING they have been fed.

Maybe Pookie is just having a bad week.  May tomorrow be easier for you both.   :)

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39:10 PM »
I'm having problems with Katie, too. I want her to like Blue, Grain Free because it's easily accessible but she thinks differently. She won't touch anything in chunks even if I make it into a pate. I tried sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top and that helps a little but she doesn't have a very big appetite and it worries me. Next time I take her to the vet I'll see how her weight is and hopefully she hasn't lost any and I can stop worrying so much.

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »
I don't know if this will help you guys or not, but it seems to be working for TT...

Small meals.

TT tends to regurgitate if I give him bigger meals anyway; but by giving him small meals he eats what I put in front of him and is hungry for the next meal.  He gets 4 meals per day and he has actually put on a few ounces.

2cents

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
Eagle Pack is dry food..correct?  When I was transitioning our bunch to wet...we had a few hold-outs.  Someone mentioned to me that as long as they knew dry was available...  
Once I didn't have dry as a "back-up," ...meal times were much easier.  

I know I'm known for being anti-dry,  :) but it truly did work for us.  

Our bunch also does better with less of a selection and eating 3 small meals a day.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:20:23 AM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
Hi All,

(Background:  Pookie gets a 5.5 oz can a day, divided into 4 portions.  1 when I get up, 2nd after I've washed/dressed/eaten, #3 when I get home from work, #4 about 40 minutes or so after that.  To Tasha's point, he'll sometimes regurgitate his food if I give him larger portions or if the portions are timed too closely together, so I've learned the hard way to give smaller meals about 40 minutes apart.  Then he gets a "2nd dinner"/small snack before bed, either raw chicken hearts/gizzards or a forkful of a different can or pouch as a treat.)

Came home last night and HE'D EATEN ALL HIS FOOD!!!   love1 tiggerbounce dancingbanana bananamiddlechild multistars multistars happydance1 yaygif.  So I gave him his dinner, had to sprinkle the Eagle Pack and he ate all that, later gave him the rest of his dinner and he ate it WITHOUT me adding anything!!!!   happydance1 multistars multistars bananamiddlechild dancingbanana.  HAPPINESS IS!!

This morning he ate both meals without me adding anything.  The sun shone, the flowers bloomed, the birds sang .  . . and I did a major happy dance.  Geez, it takes so little, doesn't it?

Lola, the Eagle Pack I'm using is actually Eagle Pack Holistic Solutions probiotic, not dry food.  (Dry food will never touch his mouth again if I have anything to say about it.)  I just sprinkle it on his food and he thinks it's a treat, but I only tend to use it in situations like this.  I normally give him a different probiotic mixed in his food every other day.

happydance1 happydance1 happydance1 multistars multistars multistars tiggerbounce yaygif woohoogif woohoogif woohoogif
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:46:23 AM »

Lola, the Eagle Pack I'm using is actually Eagle Pack Holistic Solutions probiotic, not dry food.  (Dry food will never touch his mouth again if I have anything to say about it.)  I just sprinkle it on his food and he thinks it's a treat, but I only tend to use it in situations like this.  I normally give him a different probiotic mixed in his food every other day.

First...glad all went well last night and today.   multistars
I can CERTAINLY understand your excitement.  BTDT... often.  :)
Thanks for the info on the Eagle Pack Holistic Solutions.  I'm going to add it to the Fortiflora thread.   ;D

Tags: