Author Topic: A new chapter for Mazy  (Read 11464 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
A new chapter for Mazy
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
Or maybe a sub chapter.  I've included the links to her other threads so I can find them quickly if I need them.

Mazy cat is now 50/50 By Nature Organic/Rad Cat.  On Saturdays and Sundays, or other days I might be home all day she is now 30/60 BNO/ Rad Cat. I have do do everything very slowly with her, as I allow her system to gert used to changes, and as I work out how to do things for my own routines.

She is getting pork pancreas (freeze dried, comes in capsule form) in two meals a day, a very small amount, I started this about 2 weeks ago, with a tiny dust in one meal a day, now it's a little bit bigger than a tiny dust, in two meals a day.

She is maintaining a steady weight on 4.5 (average) oz of food a day.  This is half an ounce more than she used to eat.

Her regurgitation pattern (or lack of) has not changed.  On the days I can give her a 10 hour fast overnight she does a lot better, but I cannot work out a way to give her that amount of time between meals every single day.  There just aren't enough hours in the day to get enough food into her, and give her 10 hours a night fast.

I am working on it though, trying to get her to be able to eat more at one time, and to eat more meals in a smaller span of time.It's slow going, because that's what she needs, but she can now eat .4 oz of raw at a time and .35 oz of canned at a time.  Her max for a 2 hour span is still 1.7 oz. 

THAT is where the problem lies.  To give her 10 hours every night I would have to feed the last meal at 7 pm.  It's not possible to get enough food into her by 7 pm. On weekends, it is do-able, but not during the work week.

To look at her you'd laugh at me to worry so much.  Her coat is thicker and plusher than it has ever been, ever. (She never had a nice coat until I started her on raw) It's nicer that Jennie's and Queen Eva's, and they get way more raw than she does. Her poops and pees are normal and regular.  Her activity level is a joy to behold.  Almost 12 years old and she thunders around the house with Queen Eva, and plays her favorite Games with me, and her Solitary Games...she hasn't slowed down at all.

Her eyes are bright and clear and dry.  Not even any winter crusties.

Now, something I suspect is that she may have a chicken allergy, which manifests as pink hot ears after she has chicken.   However, her digestion tolerates only chicken and turkey, so there just isn't anything I can do about those pink hot ears. It goes away after a few hours.

Damn.  I have a picture but photo gallery is in crash mode today so it will have to wait.

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3941.0
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=2690.msg28589#new

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: A new chapter for Mazy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
 HeadButt  I think you've done a PAWSOME job with her.  You're a wonderful Mommy and she's so lucky to have you.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:54:59 PM »
4.5 oz sounds better than average... for the average cat.
I thought certain proteins cause warm ears...normally.  ??
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
4.5 oz is way more than she has ever eaten, which is why I was so concerned, she is not gaining weight on it, she is maintaining weight.

Oh I've read all that about "hot" and "cold" foods.  It's really immaterial, because these are the only proteins Mazy cat can eat.

She's just puked her breakfast two days in a row.  Fun times at my house. Love cleaning up puke at 5:30 a.m. and then spending the day worrying about getting enough food into her. It's just great fun.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
She's just puked her breakfast two days in a row.  Fun times at my house. Love cleaning up puke at 5:30 a.m. and then spending the day worrying about getting enough food into her. It's just great fun.

:(  grouphug grouphug grouphug

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
Sorry about the moaning.  I was feeling pretty low.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 04:23:01 PM »
Sorry about the moaning.  I was feeling pretty low.

There's no need to apologize, MC.  Sometimes things just get to be too much and we need to vent.  That's one of the reasons we're here -- to support each other.

I hope Mazy Cat's tummy calms down soon, for both of your sakes.  grouphug

HangInThere   HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »
Mazy cat isn't feeling better.  After her breakfast regurgitation she ate her 1.16 oz Rad Cat Turkey breakfast just fine and her lunch of .7 oz BN Organic (split meals for both of course) with no apparent trouble.  She also ate her supper pre-meal (.6 oz) fine.  It's egg yolk day and usually I would have given her only half the amount of canned because of the egg yolk.  But I was trying to make up some of the lost breakfast.

By the time we got to egg yolk she would only eat about half.  I knew she had a poop coming, but we're two days away from dump and replace the litter boxes so the level of the litter is a bit lower than she likes.  I dumped the last of one box into another, and so she had her poop, but still didn't want any more egg yolk and hasn't wanted anything since. 

I did give her a whole Vet's-Best tablet to help settle her tummy and soothe any inflammation.  I crush it and mix it with about a tablespoon of water, let it thicken, she licked that right up but is staying in the hammock.

Now the last time she started this way, she next had those really big soft poops which led to full blown diarrhea, remember? I attributed this to a bad batch of RC turkey but it's never been confirmed.  It COULD have been the SEB, but ...well I'll never know.

I decided to have blood work done and the only thing that showed out of order was part of her WBC called Eosinophils.  Vet felt that the most likely cause was parasites ( she mentioned raw feeding but I wouldn't consider it)  but I do not agree.  I am more inclined to think that elevated number is caused by an inflamed bowel, which is another possible cause.

Anyway, at the time I wondered, if it wasn't the food or the SEB, if maybe it was a one off, or maybe this was going to be another phase of her ...condition that would continue to happen.  Time will tell now.

She has an appointment Jan 22.  It's rabies shot time, but thank goodness PureVax has a 3 year now.  I hate to have her get it at all, but..she is a bite risk.  If she bit someone, even at the vet, she would have to have a six month quarantine, without a current rabies.  I just cannot risk doing that to her.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
 :(  I'm so sorry.  Sending hugs and purrs to you and Mazy Cat . . .

grouphug CatPurr grouphug CatPurr grouphug

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:45 AM »
So sorry MC :( but I really think it may be the RC, I saw another post by someone that was feeding the RC Turkey on IBD kitties I think it was, and their cat is sick from it :(
Could be wrong in your case, but it was for sure the case for them.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 02:54:19 AM »
Sorry to hear Mazy isn't doing well.  Hugs

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:43 AM »
Thanks you guys. Well the RC episode was 3 months ago. I brought the tub back to the store and they sent it back to RC but I never heard anything from RC about it after that. The batches she is eating now she's been eating for two weeks so there isn't any problem there.

But you know Mazy cat's problems go so deep you just never know with her.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 06:26:53 AM »

Oh I've read all that about "hot" and "cold" foods.  It's really immaterial, because these are the only proteins Mazy cat can eat.

I only mentioned the hot ears happening with certain proteins being normal because you mentioned...

Now, something I suspect is that she may have a chicken allergy, which manifests as pink hot ears after she has chicken.   However, her digestion tolerates only chicken and turkey, so there just isn't anything I can do about those pink hot ears. It goes away after a few hours.

Hope I didn't "sound" like I was being jerky.  I wasn't.  :)

Hope today is better for Mazy.   HeadButt

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:17:00 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
NO you weren't.  It's just me feeling discouraged and it is coming out in my 'posting tone'.  Sorry.

But if those "hot" foods like chicken are only hot to cats who  have an intolerance or allergy? Is that how it works?

Well it doesn't matter.  Turkey and chicken are all she can eat.

More to update but out of lunch time for now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
I thought certain proteins cause warm ears to every cat.  I was actually TRYING to help you stress less... with the half azz facts that I can remember.  :) 
I'm sorry you are discouraged.  You are a great cat mom... don't ever forget that!!! 

HangInThere

Tags: