Author Topic: Michelle Duggar and her "advice"  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Michelle Duggar and her "advice"
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
http://now.msn.com/living/0220-michelle-duggar-wives-submissive.aspx

I was curious as to everyone's opinions on this. My own may well be unpopular, but here they are:

I honestly do not believe there is a good reason to have 19 kids in this day and age; we are overpopulated and I am sorry but there is no way that 19 kids get the time and attention that they need, and I believe passing young children off to be raised almost completely by their older siblings is deplorable. Her views clash heavily with my own; people may call me godless or selfish but I have never thought it was okay to let a man tell me what to do, and "submission" has never been part of my vocabulary. I have a great deal of respect for my parents for not murdering me as a child, I was very hard to deal with... "because I said so" has not cut it with me since I was old enough to think on my own, and I have always done exactly what I wanted to and just accepted the consequences of my actions. If she is truly happy, that is great for her, but somehow I doubt it. My parents work together in their marriage, my mom sure as heck doesn't "submit" to my dad, and despite the occassional squabble they are doing just fine. I find her "advice" to be backward and dangerous to young women; it is that kind of thinking that keeps many people in abusive relationships and it seems like a call for women to be second-class citizens to me. However, I don't know how much weight my opinion should carry, as I have never been in a real committed relationship before... I still have a lot of work to do on myself before I subject someone else to my issues, I don't think it would be fair at this point and time to expect someone else to deal with me.

I was just curious as to the views of people who have more experience with committed relationships than I do; do you think she is really happy? What do you think of her advice?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Michelle Duggar and her "advice"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
From what little I know about her, I would ASSuMe she and hubby are following their beliefs.  A wife is to be submissive to her husband, BUT the husband is also to love the wife, as God loves the church.  (Not exact biblical quote.)
Soooo, assuming her hubby loves, cherishes, appreciates, respects, etc. her...it is probably pretty easy for her to be submissive to him.  A LOVING hubby, being the "head" of the household, doesn't mean that the wife is a door mat.  

As far as the amount of children...no thanks.  But that is just me.  They financially support all of them.  They aren't freeloaders of the "system."  They all seem very happy, well adjusted, loved, and loving.  I'd say they are doing something right...something that works for them.  2cents

PS  I would have to read/hear exactly what she said to whom, and under what circumstances... to decide if her advice was stinky.  Reporters tend to quote words out of context.  

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:51:16 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
For the record,  ;D  I don't have any issues with your opinion...just in case I sounded like I was arguing with you.   :-*

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »
Oh, no, I didn't think you were arguing :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:43:09 AM »
Oh, no, I didn't think you were arguing :)

:D

I tend to bring some conversations to an abrupt end, it seems.  Don't want members to think they have to agree with me about ANYTHING. 

Tags: