Author Topic: Pink Slime, Anyone?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Pink Slime, Anyone?
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
Has anyone seen anything about this stuff? Apparently a "filler" in ground beef, for human consumption.
Here's a list of some stores that carry/don't carry it.  Don't know how complete it is, though.  

http://blog.timesunion.com/hottopics/who-sells-meat-with-pink-slime-heres-the-list/8877/

"Ten years ago, the rejected fat, sinew, bloody effluvia, and occasional bits of meat cut from carcasses in the slaughterhouse were a low-value waste product called 'trimmings' that were sold primarily as pet food. No more. Now, Beef Products Inc. of South Dakota transforms trimmings into something they call 'boneless lean beef.' In huge factories, the company liquefies the trimmings and uses a spinning centrifuge to separate the sinews and fats from the meat, leaving a mash that has been described as 'pink slime,' which is then frozen into small squares and sold as a low-cost additive to hamburger."

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/pinkslime-ammonia-ground-beef.htm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:05:06 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Pink Slime, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »
I've heard of it before, but didn't know it was being added to ground beef.  UGH!  I don't buy ground beef very often, but where I buy it is not on the list of stores that does not use it.  I think I'll be talking to Hannaford soon.  I didn't see in the article, does it have to SAY on the label if the ground beef contains pink slime?

I think maybe I'll start grinding my own meat.  Will a food processor do that?  I have one, it came  as an accessory to the blender I got for Christmas.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:51 AM »
I've heard of it before, but didn't know it was being added to ground beef.  UGH!  I don't buy ground beef very often, but where I buy it is not on the list of stores that does not use it.  I think I'll be talking to Hannaford soon.  I didn't see in the article, does it have to SAY on the label if the ground beef contains pink slime?

I think maybe I'll start grinding my own meat.  Will a food processor do that?  I have one, it came  as an accessory to the blender I got for Christmas.
  Oh and dont forget about the glue they use to stick meats together,  Doh1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
I've heard of it before, but didn't know it was being added to ground beef.  UGH!  I don't buy ground beef very often, but where I buy it is not on the list of stores that does not use it.  I think I'll be talking to Hannaford soon.  I didn't see in the article, does it have to SAY on the label if the ground beef contains pink slime?

I think maybe I'll start grinding my own meat.  Will a food processor do that?  I have one, it came  as an accessory to the blender I got for Christmas.

Nope.  >:(    Thus the "detective work", inquirieries  (like the school Admins. have been doing)  required -- such as in this update --
The USDA announced last week that it will disclose to school districts which of its suppliers use pink slime so administrators can decide whether to purchase it.
Safeway has 1400 stores coast to coast,  second only to Kroger. The chain now joins Publix, HEB, Whole Foods and Costco promising their ground beef is additive free.
 http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/safeway-stop-selling-pink-slime-textured-beef-103644102--abc-news.html

Not sure about the food processor firsthand.  :-[    But perhaps with all these advanced gadgets out now, a FP is probably equipped to do everything but eat the food for us.   ;)   Bumpurr1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
'Pink slime' forces beef processor into bankruptcy
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
Ground beef processor AFA Foods filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday and said it plans to sell some or all of its assets, citing the impact of media coverage related to a meat filler critics have dubbed "pink slime."

Meat processors have faced a backlash over the use of an ammonia-treated beef filler they call "finely textured beef." Food activists have campaigned to have it banned arguing the product was unappetizing, but supporters say the product is safe to eat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46926159/ns/business-us_business/t/pink-slime-forces-beef-processor-bankruptcy/#.T3y1kqtYu48
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org