Author Topic: Dry Food Addict  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Caseysmommy

Dry Food Addict
« on: November 20, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
I am at my wits end. I have 4 cats, 3 of which are okay with wet food, but number 4 has NEVER been willing to eat anything but dry. He is now being diagnosed diabetic and it is imperative that I get him on wet food. I have been trying every cat food on the market with a low carb content but he is being stubborn....have been trying to "schedule" them and if he doesn't eat all day give him a ration of EVO at 10 pm (1/4  to 1/2 cup max). Help!

Caseysmommy

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Dry Food Addict
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
Hi!  Welcome to PFK!!  Hurray for you for wanting to transition your cats!

The thing is, you've got to get the dry food out of the house.  As long as he knows it's there (and he can smell it) he's going to hold out for it.

I don't advocate trying to force a cat to eat by with holding food, of course, so there4 is that dilimma, of what to feed him, if you get all the dry food out.

Have you tried using incentives?

Things that have been successful are Forti Flora (a probiotic made by purina, but with animal digest as the first ingredient, most cats cannot resist it)

Vet's Best hairball relief,(My cats LOVE this stuff)

Freeze dried chicken breast such as http://wholelifepet.com/whole_life_pet_products.php# (they have other proteins, too)

Have uyou been to this site?

www.catinfo.org

I have more to say, but out of time for now, just didn't want you to go unanswered, don't give up  hope, IT CAN BE DONE!

Offline Caseysmommy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement. I have and am still trying the FortiFlora...he doesn't seem impressed. I have been to  www.catinfo.org...I am trying to follow the protocol given there for weaning the dry food addict...verrrrry stressful....the other kitties are somewhat okay with this but not Casey... my biggest concern is ensuring adequate caloric intake....I've steamed chicken breast for him..nope...he does like dehydrated chicken and turkey treats...I am throwing away soooo much food 'cause I keep trying to find one he likes. So far he likes mostly fish-tuna, salmon, sea captains, trout, shrimp...he seems to not like meat and I want to scream! I am trying for the persistence and patience www.catinfo.org recommends..it's only been less than 2 weeks but I worry for them.  :-\

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
grouphug  They can make us crazy, can't they?   :D

MC gave you some great tips, and I just wanted to add that I use the PureBites treats for Pookie (the duck is the easiest to crumble) as a topper for the canned foods that he doesn't really like.  PureBites are also dehydrated meat, and I personally think the ones for dogs are more cost effective (there's no difference between the dog treats and cat treats).  In your case, since Casey doesn't seem to like meat, instead of crumbling the treats, maybe leave them intact (or tear into smaller pieces) and add as a topper, so he has something similar to the texture of dry, until he gets used to it.  Or maybe mix the treats with the wet and add as a topper?

As much as I don't like to suggest this, have you tried mixing some wet with the dry?  I'm guessing you have, but wasn't sure.  You may have also tried sprinkling crushed kibble on top as well, but if not, that may help.

Here's another website that may be helpful:  www.felinediabetes.com.  There's also a message board there, and those folks may have some good tips as well.

I wish I could be of more help.  If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post it, but those 2 sites really have the best information.  grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:19:58 AM »
I will second what Pookie and MC said. We also use purebites as treats and they love them.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
Transitioning a kibble addict to wet can be very difficult.   pullingouthair  When I transitioned, our original four, I just kept asking for suggestions from folks, until something worked.  For ME, my biggest mistake was keeping kibble around.  Things went much smoother once they knew kibble would not be an option. 
I also remembering tossing a lot of food.  I think the texture change is a biggie for a cat. 
You are also (I assume) breaking the habit of free feeding....so there is also that for the cat to deal with.  I think I fed 87 small meals, in the beginning.  lol  Seriously, I fed many small meals at first...then I just slowly reduced the number of meals and increased the portions. 
I personally wouldn't feed fish, if at all possible... you may end up with a fish addict.   
I had better luck with Vet's Best Hairball Remedy vs Fortiflora.  Vet's Best has MUCH better ingredients and isn't made by Purina.  In fact, I'm using it now, to get my Roxy to eat commercial raw and new brands of wet.  She doesn't seem to like ANY changes.  There is always one...  :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »
What Lola said about going with smaller meals for re-scheduling was similar to what I was thinking. 

Going from free feeding directly to 2-3 scheduled meals is a bit of a challenge just in itself.  Think about it from their point of view.  They are used to eating whenever their tummy (or mood) tells them.  Then suddenly the food is not there.  Now they are thrown into the position of experiencing "real" tummy rumbling hunger.  This new experience is bound to cause some anxiety, which upsets the stomach even more.  Then, when food does finally show up, they don't really feel like eating much, because their tummy is upset.  It's a self perpetuating cycle until the new pattern is established. 

Offering 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day to begin with will make for a smoother transition.  It will leave less time for the stomach to get all rumbly and upset, but still get the idea across that the food is not going to just be around for snacking on.

Patience and persistence is the only way to combat stubborness.

And yes... toss the kibble.  They can smell it.  They will look for it.  They will hold out for it.

BTW:

welcome5  to our little corner of the intarwebs   :D
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »
If you are unable to toss the kibble completely, you may consider buying a large glass container with a tight lid (big mason jar, maybe) and keeping it in the freezer or back of the refrigerator so that the kitties can't smell it.

Will your hold-out eat the meat from a rotisserie chicken from somewhere like winn-dixie or walmart? I have heard of a cat that wouldn't eat canned food, raw chicken, or cooked chicken from home but liked rotisserie chicken from some store. You can make catfood from the meat (none of the skin b/c of the spices and none of the bones) of such a chicken if you use a premix like Alnutrin or TC feline... I will try to find the article I read and post it for you.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
Sometimes what makes a difference is the type of canned you are trying to feed.  Many kibble addicts seem to hate the 'chunks in gravy" and shredded styles.  People transitioning have often had good luck with fancy feast classics.  They are pate, and adding a little water, turning it into a gruel like consistency, seems to be more acceptable to these cats.  Since drinking is a normal activity for them, they seem to find it more acceptable to drink their food, I guess.

Yes, schedule feeding is very important, no kibble left out, EVER. The Whole Life and PureBites come in other proteins besides chicken.  Whole Life seems to crunch to dust better than PureBites.

Please keep us posted on how things are going!  Don't give up, it can be done!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »
I wonder how it is going for Caseysmommy...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: