Author Topic: Remember All Who Serve And Have Served  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Remember All Who Serve And Have Served
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »
 usasmile
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Remember All Who Serve And Have Served
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
I tell every veteran (or family member of a veteran), or people still in service or people with a family member still in service, I encounter "Thank you for serving".  Most react with surprise, then say "thank you". No, I say, don't thank me, YOU served (are serving, or the family also serves).

This often happens at work and the other day N heard me say it to a customer, and said "oh that's so nice of you". I said I don't say it to be "nice". I say it because I mean it.  I tell our PD and FD guys thank you, too. Again, I mean it. I am grateful for all these people who do something I would not be able to do. They work to protect everyone. It's huge.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »
This:

I tell every veteran (or family member of a veteran), or people still in service or people with a family member still in service, I encounter "Thank you for serving".  Most react with surprise, then say "thank you". No, I say, don't thank me, YOU served (are serving, or the family also serves).

This often happens at work and the other day N heard me say it to a customer, and said "oh that's so nice of you". I said I don't say it to be "nice". I say it because I mean it.  I tell our PD and FD guys thank you, too. Again, I mean it. I am grateful for all these people who do something I would not be able to do. They work to protect everyone. It's huge.

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

I do it, too.  The people who do what they do have more courage in their little finger than I have in my entire body, 1000 times over.  It's a calling for them, and God Bless them all.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:22:07 AM »
This:

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

I do it, too.  The people who do what they do have more courage in their little finger than I have in my entire body, 1000 times over.  It's a calling for them, and God Bless them all.

I'm glad you do.  I hope, when other people hear me, that they will see how easy it is, and start doing it too. It did feel awkward at first, when I started it a number of years ago. But now it comes very naturally off my tongue as soon as I hear that someone (or someone's family member) is serving or has served.

The other day I found out a newish employee in another department (someone I have to work closely with) her husband is a firefighter. In my city firefighters are also EMS, and are paid civil service positions, not volunteer and they work 12 hours shifts 3 days in a row. She was talking about arranging her schedule with her two little boys and mentioned his shifts had got changed which caused complications.  I said Oh I didn't realize he was one of ours. She kind of became self deprecating about her little moan, and I said "Don't do that, the family also serves". She actually burst into tears! Then she was embarrassed about it, but recovered enough to say "thank you for saying that. Most people don't realize.".

I don't mean to be patting my own back here, it's a fine line trying to say how I feel about it without sounding like I am bragging about 'being nice' you know? It's just something I believe with all my heart. People who serve, whatever their reasons, are special people.

Tags: