Author Topic: So I Guess Medical Marijuana Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be  (Read 855 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Mysterious illness tied to marijuana use on the rise in states with legal weed

NEW YORK (CBS) - For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

The Rest Is At. . .http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Mysterious-illness-tied-to-marijuana-use-on-the-rise-in-states-with-legal-weed-408565045.html

I have just one question. Can this occur with CBD oil? Because if it can, I won't be using it in the future (if needed) with the boys.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: So I Guess Medical Marijuana Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
I have just one question. Can this occur with CBD oil? Because if it can, I won't be using it in the future (if needed) with the boys.

I don't know, but I would definitely be careful about using it on them.  I've been trying to get past my bias about cannabis and using it for pain, etc. in people, but . . . just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe, and I'm just not comfortable with it's use in people, let alone pets.  Until we know more about how pets handle it, I personally wouldn't use it on them.  But that's just me.  I know you research the bejeesus out of things (that's a compliment), so I'm sure you'll continue to look into this.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: So I Guess Medical Marijuana Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
I don't know, but I would definitely be careful about using it on them.  I've been trying to get past my bias about cannabis and using it for pain, etc. in people, but . . . just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe, and I'm just not comfortable with it's use in people, let alone pets. 

I'm definitely not certain about using CBD oil with pets for pain no matter how many people sing its praises. I realize it's not exactly the same as medical marijuana, but it's still a cannabinoid, and the syndrome had the word cannabinoid in it, not "marijuana hyperemesis syndrome" but "cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome."

The CBD oil (from what I can tell) has been used much less than actual marijuana, so I'm not sure what kind of actual testing might have been done with it.

SO, this means I need to be looking for other alternatives for pain management if either of them end up old and arthritic. I thought CBD oil might be the solution, but I'm not so sure now.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: