Author Topic: CKD and Vaccines  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
CKD and Vaccines
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Copied from the Supplements thread.  Thanks, Gump, for posting this information!  HeadButt

Links to info on littlebigcat.com on the CKD and vaccine issue: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/dont-vaccinate-your-adult-cat-for-distemper/

and good general info on vaccines (including the CKD issue) here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/vaccination/
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Gump and Co

• Yapper
Re: CKD and Vaccines
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Thanks for starting a thread about this, Pookie.  :)

I'm dealing with kidney disease with my sweet Gumpy now, and though he's nearly 18, I don't think age is the only factor in this disease like some people like to say. It's heartbreaking to know that previous vets pumped him with booster vacs even when he had a chronic disease (diabetes) before I was clear on the issue. Also upsetting that previous vets (one was feline-only) didn't follow the AAFP guideline of the FVRCP vacs/boosters being given 'NO MORE FREQUENTLY Than Every Three Years" (no more frequently than every three years doesn't necessarily mean every three years) and didn't discuss anything about vaccine issues with me. The FVRCP is the most common "core" vaccine, in addition to rabies (the other core vaccine). This has been AAFP guideline since 1998, but many many vets still just keep doing yearly vacs.

CKD is very common is older cats and I hope this ongoing research provides some answers to this disease. This research has been going on for several years and isn't complete, and while the researcher hasn't (YET) said that a link to vaccines and CKD has been proven, there appear to be strong associations. So we'll see what this ongoing research shows. Whatever this research ultimately shows, I now know much more about vaccines. This is the most current info I've found about this: http://www.wvc.org/downloads/conference_notes/2012/2012_SA183.pdf

I posted about this on Catster in the Senior Cats area, and posted a link to a very informative interview with Dr. Ronald Schultz who's one of the top researchers in veterinary immunology, and he explains that most vacs provide a very long duration of immunity; longer than even the three year recommendation. He says many vacs will likely provide lifelong immunity, and he does only one round of properly timed vaccinations for his cats and dogs (except for rabies because it's required by law). Kitten vacs need to be done at the correct time to be effective. Long video, but worth watching.

Kidney disease is a difficult disease and often heartbreaking because it's generally progressive and once the kidney function is lost it cannot be restored. It's very difficult to watch Gump slow down with this disease and it's not a simple disease. Some kitties can remain stable and live with reduced kidney function for some period of time - years in some cases, but ECID (every cat/case is different). I also think there are other factors in this disease, such as chronic dehydration from dry food and urine acidifying additives in dry food, and also other diseases (like diabetes) and medications may also affect the kidneys over time. There are probably other factors such as genetics and also other toxins and environmental factors, but the vaccine issue could end up being a big factor. I mean, why do SO many older cats end up developing kidney disease???

I realize this is difficult area and it's not always easy to know what to do regarding vaccines. I'm still figuring out what to do with my younger cat - I'll probably titer her. And while I'm done vaccinating Gump (have been for a few years), I'm still not clear what could happen if he needs to be hospitalized, etc. and it makes me a little nervous. Hopefully titering and testing will become more common and accepted to show that cats have immunity rather than having to pump them with booster vacs arbitrarily.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:46:41 AM by Gump and Co »

Tags: