Author Topic: Natural Remedy For Regulating Bowel Movement  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Natural Remedy For Regulating Bowel Movement
« on: February 15, 2019, 12:14:15 PM »
We thought Lucy was having poo issues due to the bone content in her food.  That can be pretty common.  We made a LOT of adjustments to her meals.  I also would give her Miralax from time to time, but wasn't exactly happy with that idea...or the results recently. 

We made her a few boneless meals.  Yes, the proper supplements were added.  :) That didn't seem to help matters.

Long story short. She needs a little pushing and mucus help, due to her age. She will be 15 this year. 

The holistic vet recommended Fan Xie Ye. 

This is a link I found, if anyone is interested.
https://www.acupuncturetoday.com/herbcentral/senna.php

I'll keep you posted...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:23:12 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Natural Remedy For Regulating Bowel Movement
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:02 PM »
Interesting!  Just out of curiosity, had you tried slippery elm (and it didn't work)?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
Interesting!  Just out of curiosity, had you tried slippery elm (and it didn't work)?

No, I didn't.  Something I read on Little Big Cat made me nix the idea. 

Miralax worked when needed.  She didn't need it very often.  For example, one source we buy from tends to have a higher bone content in some of their grinds.  I would add Miralax when feeding those particular grinds. 
I also started feeding some commercial boneless grinds, because it is easier and added something different to the rotation.  Sometimes changes were made just to be made, but also just happened to help with poo issues. 

Some details that I left out of my original post...
There were two days of Lucy barfing up her meals.  (For the record, I took her to the vet on day 2!)  Back to the details... She wanted to eat and did eat, but the food wouldn't stay down.  We assumed nothing was wrong with the food, because 5 others had no issues. 

After lunch on day two, Lucy pooped (or tried to) in front of me.  That is when the lightbulb went off... she can't poop, so she can't hold food down.  To keep it simple...What she was being fed for two days was normally "no poo issue" food.

The vet gave her a pretty good once over.  He didn't think she was full of poo.  Nothing against the vet, but to be sure... I asked that an x-ray be done.  No poo.  No blockage.  That is when the vet decided she needed pushing and mucus help.  Knowing what she had been eating, others not being sick, yadda, yadda, yadda... his explanation sounded reasonable.   :-\  Time will tell.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:36:29 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
No, I didn't.  Something I read on Little Big Cat made me nix the idea.

And I could swear I read on Little Big Cat that you can use slippery elm.  Hmm . . . I'll have to check again.  But it can be used in cats, just fyi to anyone else reading this thread.

Thanks for the additional information.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed that the Fan Xie Ye does the trick.  Have you noticed any changes, good, bad or indifferent?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »
And I could swear I read on Little Big Cat that you can use slippery elm.  Hmm . . . I'll have to check again.  But it can be used in cats, just fyi to anyone else reading this thread.

Thanks for the additional information.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed that the Fan Xie Ye does the trick.  Have you noticed any changes, good, bad or indifferent?

Mazy cat has been on SEB for years.  It has helped her a lot. Excellent anti-nflammatory, and mucilage properties.  Can be added to food for that, or made into a syrup and given half hour before meals for nausea. Has nutritional value as well.

Miralax is very harsh and messes with the biome. Lactulose is a prebioitc and is gentler, for a cat who needs a laxative, but other more 'natural' ways are always better if one is found that works.

I know a few people using Chinese herbs with their cats.  Hope it helps Lucy.  xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
And I could swear I read on Little Big Cat that you can use slippery elm. 

To be clear, Little Big Cat didn't shun it.  It was just me being weird.  Miralax was handy at the time... something odd like that.  Miralax wasn't a daily thing for Lucy.  In my pointed head, it was safe enough for hit and miss use. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
To be clear, Little Big Cat didn't shun it.  It was just me being weird.  Miralax was handy at the time... something odd like that.  Miralax wasn't a daily thing for Lucy.  In my pointed head, it was safe enough for hit and miss use. 

I don't doubt that it is.  But I bet this will be much better for her. I hope so!  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Tags: