Author Topic: What The Big Cats Eat  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
What The Big Cats Eat
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
Lion Facts

Lions have strong, compact bodies and powerful forelegs, teeth, and jaws for pulling down and killing prey.

Natural Diet: Lions eat primarily large animals, such as zebra and wildebeest, weighing from 100 to 1,000 pounds. In times of shortage, they also catch and eat a variety of smaller animals from rodents to reptiles. Lions steal kills from hyenas, leopards, and other predators, but may also lose their catches to hyena groups. Lions may also feed on domestic livestock, especially in areas near villages.

National Zoo Diet: Keepers feed the Zoo's lions beef. Twice a week the lions received bones (usually a beef hind shank, half femur, or knuckle).

Nothing about dry kibble...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: What The Big Cats Eat
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »
Tigers

A large, carnivorous, tawny-colored and black-striped feline.

What do tigers eat?
The answer can almost always be summed up as meat.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »
http://feline-nutrition.org/one-page-guides/cats-are-cats  FNES just came out with a "one page guide" explaining how cats and lions are alike.

Cats are cats - little or big, it doesn't change the fact that they are carnivores! 

The Panthera lineage, which includes the lion, jaguar, and tiger, emerged first. This was followed rapidly by a group of three Asian species - the bay cat, Asian golden cat and marbled cat; three African Species (caracal, African golden cat and serval) and the path that led to the New World ocelot.

More recently, four further lines branched off - the pathways to the lynx, puma, leopard cat and domestic cat. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4585766.stm

Just like dogs are wolves thumbsup1  Dogs and wolves share 99.8% of the same DNA.  All humans share 99.8% of the same DNA.  Yet, some people, aka pet food companies, don't think that dogs are carnivores Doh1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
That is what gets me soooooo riled up!  As CC always says...an easy to understand explanation can be found in the dictionary.  Why all the species inappropriate foods?  Grrrrr

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

Funny thing is, my mom heard of a wolf sanctuary in S. CA that changed the diet they were providing... from meat + supplements to raw prey.

I guess the folks running the sanctuary finally called in a biologist to determine why the wolves were not thriving... they were skinny, grumpy, and had dull coats, among other problems.  The biologist took one look at the diet and determined that it was not balanced... even with the "vet recommended" supplements.  It was suggested that the sanctuary provide the wolves with whole carcasses to feed on.

The change was made, and the improvements were quite noticeable.  The wolves filled out, their coats gleamed, and their overall mood improved... they were happy.

The sanctuary apparently now has a program with the local agricultural community, where ranchers can donate livestock that either just don't quite make the grade, or have lived long enough.  The donated livestock must be examined by a vet before slaughter to determine they are healthy enough for the wolves' consumption.

Now the kicker to this little anectodote, is the note of vindication in my mother's voice as she related it to me, even though she's the one that thought I was a crazy girl for changing to a raw diet...  Doh1   ::)  lol

yeah yeah... I know wolves are not lions & tigers... but they are carnivores too.   :P
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »

Funny story about your mom.   ;D  Sounds like the original vet. wasn't exactly trained to give advice, as far as what supplements and such to feed the wolves.  ??  
At least wolves have molars to chew their food with...unlike the cat family.   :(

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:42 PM »
  Sounds like the original vet. wasn't exactly trained to give advice, as far as what supplements and such to feed the wolves. 

Exactly what I thought too.... It took a biologist to set them straight. 
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Kittymom4

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
I think that the problem is that people loose sight of what the puppy and kitty in their home actually is.  I am in the process of converting my cats to raw.  I get "the look" from my family a lot.  You know the one - the "oh yuck.  WHY would you do THAT!" look  You just can't explain to some people.  I think my mom summed up the thought process of all the commercial kibble followers when she had the following argument :

"But your cats don't eat that stuff.  Your cats are domesticated little princesses and princes.  Why would you give them raw chicken - that's nasty."

bangshead  Doh1   I told her to come watch "The Princess" catch a bug and eat it and let me know how domesticated she is.

Tags: