Author Topic: The Battle Begins - Getting Nightmare to Eat Raw  (Read 8308 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The Battle Begins - Getting Nightmare to Eat Raw
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »
For ours that didn't like food texture changes, a nasty food topper always did the trick in one...two, at the most, feedings.  I don't know anything about fish flakes, but maybe a bit sprinkled on prey model would work also.

How many farm cats share 5 pounds of ground turkey?   :o
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »
For ours that didn't like food texture changes, a nasty food topper always did the trick in one...two, at the most, feedings.  I don't know anything about fish flakes, but maybe a bit sprinkled on prey model would work also.

How many farm cats share 5 pounds of ground turkey?   :o

Nineteen, though last night it was 18 as Blizzard must have eaten something that didn't agree with him, and refused to eat the turkey.  He did eat some tuna intead, and was back to his normal self tonight.  Between everyone I use about 8 pounds of meat a day. 

The fish flakes - it is the crumbs that were left in the bottom of the container.  The goldfish (Winston, Wilhemmina, and Pete) won't eat the crumbs...it is to tiny for them.  But Mitch always tries to attack the goldfish food containers when I am feeding the fish so I thought if he really wants that food, maybe it would work to sprinkle on Nightmare's food to get him to eat (and it did!). 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
Nineteen, though last night it was 18 as Blizzard must have eaten something that didn't agree with him, and refused to eat the turkey.  He did eat some tuna intead, and was back to his normal self tonight.  Between everyone I use about 8 pounds of meat a day. 

The fish flakes - it is the crumbs that were left in the bottom of the container.  The goldfish (Winston, Wilhemmina, and Pete) won't eat the crumbs...it is to tiny for them.  But Mitch always tries to attack the goldfish food containers when I am feeding the fish so I thought if he really wants that food, maybe it would work to sprinkle on Nightmare's food to get him to eat (and it did!). 

I was realllllllly tired yesterday.  My comprehension level was...none.  Doh1
Today, I "get" fish food is...food for fish.  The amount of food you feed, to so many felines...sounds normal today.
Hope meal time went smooth for you (and the felines) today. 

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
It did go well :)

Nightmare ate 3 ounces of turkey Rad Cat before he even touched his canned food!  I didn't put anything on top of the raw either - he ate it plain.  He also ate a dime size piece of chicken liver and a quarter size piece of raw chicken.  Hopefully it continues to go this smoothly!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
It did go well :)

Nightmare ate 3 ounces of turkey Rad Cat before he even touched his canned food!  I didn't put anything on top of the raw either - he ate it plain.  He also ate a dime size piece of chicken liver and a quarter size piece of raw chicken.  Hopefully it continues to go this smoothly!

multistars coolgif2

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
Congratulations on getting him to cooperate.  :)

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
Yesterday he had 3 ounces of Rad Cat turkey and then 2 ounces of canned food mixed with 1 ounce of finely chopped chicken gizzards.  He ate it all :)

Today he had 4.5 ounces of Rad Cat turkey and one ounce of canned food mixed with one ounce of small - maybe 1/8 of and inch by 1/16 of an inch - pieces of pork.  He ate all the Rad Cat, I left before he had started to eat the canned/raw mix, but he has probably eaten it all by now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:54:19 PM by Mo »

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Tonight: 4.5 ounces of turkey Rad Cat mixed with 2 ounces of cut up raw chicken.  He ate it all thumbsup1  No canned!

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
YAY!!!
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »
I am SO proud of Nightmare right now!

He ate 3 ounces of Lamb Rad Cat mixed with 3.5 ounces chopped up pork! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »
Is Nightmare the only one that was still eating canned? 

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
Is Nightmare the only one that was still eating canned? 

Five of them eat canned in the morning and raw at night - I do not feed calves in the morning - and canned is easy for someone else to feed.

Nightmare was the only raw hold out.  But...he did AMAZING tonight!

I fed him four ounces chopped up pork - half with Lamb Rad Cat smeared on top, but the other half was just plain meat.  He ate it all and purred while eating it thumbsup1

Yesterday (Jan 29) he had 4 ounces of chopped up beef with 2 ounces of Rad Cat put over top of it, and he ate every last bite and licked his plate clean.

Tomorrow is going to be the challenging day - getting him to be willing to eat small bones.  Hopefully that goes over okay.  It will be 4 ounces of cut up chicken ribs (that have plenty of meat on them of course), 1 ounce of liver, and then Rad Cat smeared on top of it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
Five of them eat canned in the morning and raw at night - I do not feed calves in the morning - and canned is easy for someone else to feed.
Makes sense...
Nightmare was the only raw hold out.  But...he did AMAZING tonight!
thumbsup1
I fed him four ounces chopped up pork - half with Lamb Rad Cat smeared on top, but the other half was just plain meat.  He ate it all and purred while eating it thumbsup1

Yesterday (Jan 29) he had 4 ounces of chopped up beef with 2 ounces of Rad Cat put over top of it, and he ate every last bite and licked his plate clean.
thumbsup1 thumbsup1
Tomorrow is going to be the challenging day - getting him to be willing to eat small bones.  Hopefully that goes over okay.  It will be 4 ounces of cut up chicken ribs (that have plenty of meat on them of course), 1 ounce of liver, and then Rad Cat smeared on top of it.
Did Nightmare come through for ya?

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
Yes, he ate it all!

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
Tonight: 4 ounces pork (bigger chunks this time) with one ounce of Rad Cat.

O

The circle is the rough size of the pieces of meat.  They were thin, but much bigger overall.

Tomorrow: Cut up beef heart and no Rad Cat.  Two things that are going to be hard: he has never eaten beef heart before that I remember, and although I'll take a bit of Rad Cat with me, I am not putting it on top of the raw unless he refuses to eat it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:08:20 PM by Mo »

Tags: