Author Topic: Science Diet  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Science Diet
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
Where to start.

IMHO...
VERY low quality ingredients.
By-products.
Unidentifiable meat sources.
Ickie grains.
Fillers.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Science Diet
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
That carp could consist of 100% rock and it would sell, beings that company has everyone and their brother in their pockets.

I boycott everything made by Proctor & Gamble  ^ Colgate Palmolive that I am aware of.  Anyone notice in the stores, their toothpaste monopolises 60 to 90% of all the shelves? (Crest has the rest. I boycott P&G, too. >:D  )

Also, more fitting thread title suggestions:

Remove the "t" from the end,
Science Fiction
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:14:37 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »
First question, to those that feed Science Diet....... why do you feed it?  TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
First formula I found...Hills Science Diet Adult Light Dog Food

In red are the ingredients I don't like:

Ingredients:

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Soybean Mill Run 16% (source of fiber), Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Analysis:

Crude Protein (minimum)17.00%
Crude Fat (minimum)13.50%
Moisture (maximum)10.00%
Crude Fiber (maximum)8.20%

If I knew the source of the vitamins/additives I'd probably not like any of them either.  My bet?  They are sourced from China.

Dogs and cats are carnivores - the ingredients in Science Diet does not at all reflect that.  They put all sorts of fillers in their canned food as well.  I wouldn't feed this stuff if I was paid to!

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
Prowler is a crystal kitty. His vet, at that time, no longer, put him on Hills Science Diet S/D to disolve the crystals and C/D to manage them. The crystals came back. I said, somethin ain't right with this picture, and did extensive research on crystals. Grains, which Hills Science Diet is full of, is the biggest cause of crystals. You need to avoid, corn, wheat, corn gluten, wheat gluten, corn flour, wheat flour, maize, maize flour, maize is corn, pet food companies tried to slide that one past us pet parents, it didn't work, mol.  Hills Science Diet is also too high in salt, which is not good for a crystal kitty, and has to be avoided, if one has a heart kitty.  Prowler eats Blue Wilderness, its grain free, soy free, by product free, gluten free, and no more crystals.   Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif   

Offline Furkid Parent

• Charter Member
  • Yapper
  • NOT the Twitter Furkid Parent.
    • Parenting-Furkids
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
SCIENCE ???? Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat - GUESS WHAT CONDITION IS THIS "SPECIAL DIET MADE FOR" according to Hills - Dogs with digestive problems...!    -   Dr. Dobias DVM

Tags: