Author Topic: Cost of raw feeding breakdown  (Read 8062 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Cost of raw feeding breakdown
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 03:51:10 AM »
You are quite welcome, and if there is anything else you would like me to add or any questions, please let me know ;)

Thank you very much! And thank you for fixing the picture sizes.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
It is almost time for a new batch. Are there any pictures that I need to take to clarify any steps or anything like that? Next batch is turkey and I worry that the liver content may be hit an miss on the poultry (they are humanely raised, hormone/antibiotic free birds that are supposed to contain the liver/heart, but since they come from someone else and are just ground in-house, I am cautious) and I add an extra 4oz of pureed liver to the chicken and turkey batches, just to make sure she gets enough vitamin a/copper/iron/zinc.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
I was looking at the Hare-Today website.  If I buy, for example, the ground rabbit with bones and organs.. all I have to do is add the correct amount of Alnutrin For Meat And Bone supplement:    http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_supplements.html
Mix and freeze... and I'm good to go? 

I'm looking for a one-shot deal, as far as needed supplement(s).  I'm afraid of screwing up anything else. 

Amber,
The little bowls, in your pictures, are they the Glad (or whatever brand) plastic throw away containers?  If so... I assume you don't have any issues with freezer frost? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
And....

It arrives frozen.  I have to thaw it, to mix in the supplements... then freeze it again?  I thought thawing and refreezing non-cooked food ...wasn't a good thing. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 04:50:27 AM »
Everything I have ever read about raw feeding says that thawing then freezing is fine.  After all, the meat we buy in the grocery store may be thawed when it hits the shelves, but it was shipped frozen.

When I cut up the Rad Cat into portions I thaw it slightly, then re-freeze it.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
@Lola

Yes, they are the glad bowls. I don't have any problems with freeze frost but my deep freezer sucks all the air out after you open and close the door... which can be annoying if you close the door before you are done because you have to wait for it to finish before it will let you open the door again.

I have used the Alnutrin personally, though the product I used was for just meat and had eggshell calcium (this was back when I was still using grocery store meat), so I also had to add powdered liver to it. The alnutrin does not contain Omegas so you would still need to add krill or fish or salmon oil to it, though my research indicates that adding salmon oil to a meal once or twice a week is better than adding it into a batch of food and freezing because it oxidizes so fast.

Thawing and refreezing is fine, as long as the meat is thawed properly in the refrigerator or with cold water and not on a counter. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 03:54:06 AM »

The alnutrin does not contain Omegas so you would still need to add krill or fish or salmon oil to it, though my research indicates that adding salmon oil to a meal once or twice a week is better than adding it into a batch of food and freezing because it oxidizes so fast.

Damn... glad I asked.  I was under the impression that particular supplement was everything needed.  *sigh* 

Thank you , Amber. 

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »
I emailed the company a while back, inquiring about the lack of Omegas, and I got a very quick response. They don't add them because they oxidize so quickly, especially in powder form, that the integrity of the omega acids couldn't be guaranteed. I did a lot of research on the issue, and there was a lot of information that validated this. Other than the Omegas, as long as you are using hare-today grinds with liver included, it contains everything else needed.

But I am sorry that I couldn't present this to you as your all-in-one option :( Especially since it is so cheap compared to the other options out there... Food made with Alnutrin only costs about 2 cents more per day than the recipe in my breakdown, and thats only because I include shipping costs in my calculations.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »
I give krill oil every other day.  I use the NOW brand, 500 mg per capsule.  Some raw feeders use it daily, but when I tried to go daily, I was presented with mass diarrhea.

I am thinking about trying the Alnutrin entire supplement with calcium next time, instead of just the egg shell calcium, to eliminate any worry about deficiency.

There are other brands.  I know a few people who use Call of the Wild.  But it contains some things I don't like, namely menadione, sodium bisulfate.  One of the reasons I do feed partial raw is to get away from that ingredient, since the By Nature Organics canned does contain it. :(

There is another favorite brand in the raw forum I belong to, but I can't think of it right now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
I'm tired... and slow.  :) 

What EXACTLY would I have to add to the raw food purchased from Hare-Today... if I buy the ground that includes bones and organs?  I assume that is the best of the ground...

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
IMO, HT is best for ground.

8 to 16 oz water
4 raw egg yolks, and you can throw in the whites if you cook them first, nice source of phosphorous-free protein.
4000 mg taurine
800 IU Vitamin E dry e is best but the capsules can be used
200 mg Vitamin B Complex
1 ½ tsp Lite Iodized Salt - for the iodine content
4000 mg wild salmon or wild caught small fish oil if you want to add it directly to the food, but since it oxidizes quickly, I have started omitting it from the recipe and just squeezing directly onto meals a couple times a week.

It sounds complicated, but I promise it isn't. It takes me like 30 minutes to make Amber a month's worth of food.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »
How much ground, with bones and organs, do I add all that stuff to?

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
That is per 5lbs of of HT grind.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter