Author Topic: Just started on carnivora  (Read 7533 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Just started on carnivora
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
I think I would be pulling my hair out...  pullingouthair
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
Maybe not the hooves, but if it's small prey (mice, small birds) I'm pretttty sure they would eat the fur and feathers.  It's a great source of fiber!   funny2

Just to clarify my question, though, I was just wondering if supplementation was needed for raw that doesn't include the entire animal.  For example, grinding chicken thighs and bones (with organ) like Dr. Pierson's recipe, or even not grinding those things, I would "think" needs some sort of supplements because of what's not being included (e.g. the parts I mentioned in my earlier post).   :-\
  From what I have learned if you are feeding just whole chicken (ground) I think that you have to add some sort of other protein. I dont think that just feeding chicken would be advisable. Also it depends on how its ground, how hot does the grinder get? is it done in a temp controlled cold room?  Im going to be emailing this company to ask some of these questions.
This is why Im trying to feed a variety (chicken, elk, rabbit) for now. Then will probably get some Turkey, and beef offal. I wanted the Quail, but they do not carry it as of yet.
I get my products at Growlies...great products and service there :)  plug! plug!! ;)

2cents
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
Maybe not the hooves, but if it's small prey (mice, small birds) I'm pretttty sure they would eat the fur and feathers.  It's a great source of fiber!   funny2

Just to clarify my question, though, I was just wondering if supplementation was needed for raw that doesn't include the entire animal.  For example, grinding chicken thighs and bones (with organ) like Dr. Pierson's recipe, or even not grinding those things, I would "think" needs some sort of supplements because of what's not being included (e.g. the parts I mentioned in my earlier post).   :-\

You have to consider what percentage of the entire meal those "extras" really make up.

Cats don't eat all the feathers, nor even all the fur from their prey.  A lot depends on the size of the prey.  With larger prey, often times the only thing left of a cat's kill is a skull and pile of feathers/fur too big to bother with.  Very small prey, on the other hand, might be swallowed whole. 

The percentage of consumed fur/feathers/eyeball/brain is approximately 1-2%... in a 2.5 ounce meal, that would be .025 - .05 ounces.  The nutrients involved in this percentage are miniscule; fiber is not something I'd count as "nutritional value".

Again, as long as you are feeding a variety of food sources, supplements are not going to make that big of a difference.  At least, not to the extent that a lot of supplement companies would like you to believe.

It's fine if you want to supplement occasionally, if that makes you feel safer, but I don't think it needs to be done every day with every meal.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
So far the only supplement im feeding is Sardines....OMC!!! they love them!!! not sure how much to give, only giving a little for now, dont want runny poopies!!

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
Here is the Raw elk (carnivora)

Here is Wilson eating Rabbit

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member