Author Topic: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12  (Read 29138 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
I've gone back to testing SK's urine pH since introducing the Stella&Chewy's duck&goose to her. She's only had three meals of it so far, but I want to be sure the bone (and my hard well water mixed with the food) isn't going to cause her urine to become too alkaline. So far all is well.

I don't intend for her to have this meal more than twice a week, it will be part of the PMR evening meal rotation for her.  When the other two have beef, she can have Stella&Chewy's duck&goose. So, wait, (thinking aloud here) that will be even less than once a week, the rotation includes six different variations now.  Turkey breast, turkey thigh, chicken breast, chicken thigh, chicken gizzard, cornish hen, that they all get, then the beef for the other two, which currently she gets another serving of cornish hen on beef nights. Okay so she'll get the S&C duck/goose on beef night, which will be once every 7 days. So...count three or four days from that she can have a S&C duck/goose meal in place of one of her regular canned meals.  Okay I like that, one less canned meal a week.  Good-o.

And I am still hoping to find fresh or frozen raw duck. Got to remember to ask the guy in the meat department at the grocery store today.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:21 AM »
Hare-today has duck.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »
Thanks Amber.  I've thought of it, but not recently so thanks for the reminder. I don't want bone-in grinds, but I just checked the site and see they do have ground duck, no bones.  Hmmm......HT will be a last resort. It causes me a lot of stress having frozen food delivered, not to mention the cost of shipping. If I feed it only to SK it will help with cost but still....anyway, I'm glad to be reminded I have that option.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
No luck with duck at my usual grocery store.  Oh they had some.  They had "duck fillets" (breast) in "20% solution" meaning stuff added.  And I found some frozen whole ducks too. But again, they were "12% solution".  Arrggh.Why do they always have to add these "flavor enhancers" to meat?  So annoying.

I bought some nice steak on sale for cutting up and freezing for them (saved a 4 oz piece to put in the freezer for myself).  TC and LC LOVE steak, especially Little Cat. LC goes crazy for beef.  SK can't eat it, she always brings it back up.

Then I bought some boneless turkey breast.  I checked the package carefully to make sure there was no "solution" added, and it looked okay.  I set it down to check other packages for weight, and when I got home discovered when I picked the package back up I had picked up the wrong thing and came home with turkey breast fillets "with solution added".  So frustrating, so those got frozen for myself too, but I do need to get some turkey breast for them still.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »
I have found a (comparatively) local source for the Rad Cat frozen raw!!!! bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Yesterday I saw an ad in the local paper for a pet supply store in a nearby town, I had never heard of them, but they have a website so I checked it out. They had a list of food brands they carry but mentioned they are willing to special order other brands so I contacted them about the Rad Cat and they said they could get it for me! This will reduce the cost of the food for me greatly, because of the cost of gas traveling 200 miles (round trip).  Now I will only be traveling 50 miles (round trip)..  Whoohoo!

It's funny I made this discovery right after doing all the computations to find out exactly how much it is costing me now to feed my cats, with their canned, commercial raw and homemade raw.

$0.74 per cat per day.

This figure includes the gas expense for traveling to Albany to get the Rad Cat, essential supplements (calcium, vitamin E, vitamin B, taurine), the expense of freezer bags, the expense of extra paper towel use, the canned food, the commercial raw products, and the meat bought from the grocery store. I saved every receipt since last May.

However, the figure will drop as time goes on because the the supplements will not need to be re-purchased for another six months at the soonest.  So that will shave off a few cents as the weeks pass.

This figure not include the one time initial expenses of the table top freezer and the food scale.

It also does not include certain other supplements that I use, that do not have anything to do with what kind of food I feed them.  The krill oil, egg yolk lecithin and the probiotic, they get these regardless of what diet they are on. 

When they were on a canned only diet, they cost on average $1.20 per day per cat for food (again, not including the krill, probiotic and hairball remedy)

Of course, the work involved is quite a lot.  But I don't mind it so much now that I have a routine.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
That's wonderful, MC!  I'm so glad you were able to find a store closer to home that can get the Rad Cat for you!  And think of all the savings (financial as well as emotional - in terms of peace of mind) in having healthier cats . . .  :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Thanks Pookie.  I'm pretty excited.  Nervous too, because of trying a new place.  I just got it all figured out with the place in Albany. and I do love that store and the people who work there.  But I will get used to this store and the people who work there too. They've been opne 4 years. 

A Petco just opened in the mall here. Today.  I hope it doesn't hurt them, now that I have found them.  I am not a big fan of these chain stores.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »
Thanks Pookie.  I'm pretty excited.  Nervous too, because of trying a new place.  I just got it all figured out with the place in Albany. and I do love that store and the people who work there.  But I will get used to this store and the people who work there too. They've been opne 4 years.  

A Petco just opened in the mall here. Today.  I hope it doesn't hurt them, now that I have found them.  I am not a big fan of these chain stores.

PetCo carries a few decent brands of canned food (PetSmart... not so much)... at least in my area.  However, neither chain can compare to a pet food "specialty" store.  Your new store should be safe.  BTW, glad you are able to get the Rad Cat more locally now. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
You inspired me, MC.  I was getting low on the Primal I get for Pookie, so called my specialty store to make sure they had it.  While I was placing that order, I asked if they could get Rad Cat for me and THEY CAN!!!!  Happy dance!  I picked it up last night, so now rather than having to drive 40 minutes away (even though it's a pretty drive), I can just pick it up on the way home from work.

THANK YOU!!!!  :-* :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: