Author Topic: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12  (Read 29108 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »
thumbsup1  MC you have a lot of patience....I would find it very hard to feed all the different cats, different things.

LOL I've been doing that for YEARS! Even before the current gang, I had four cats on four different diets. Feeding cats is...a life style choice.  funny2

Thanks for your kind words.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
thumbsup1  MC you have a lot of patience....I would find it very hard to feed all the different cats, different things.

I agree!  If one can't or doesn't want a particular food (flavor or brand) ... none of them get it.

And... can you actually SEE .3 ounces?   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
I agree!  If one can't or doesn't want a particular food (flavor or brand) ... none of them get it.

And... can you actually SEE .3 ounces?   Bumpurr1

LOL you fresh thing!

But yeah..that's all she could eat at one time.  Now she's up to about .55 ounces at a time. bananamiddlechild

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 03:10:54 AM »
Wow... looks like a lot more than I expected! 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
SK sez:  Ey LUFF Cornish Hen!!!!!

Click on picture to play video

compare that to just exactly two months ago, her first introduction to raw: (click on pic to play video)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:24 PM »
Sk licked that bowl CLEAN! 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
OMC!!! does cornish hens take good or something?? mol!!!
Im gonna have to try one of those, but they are quite expensive for such a little bird.
and the come frozen solid. :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »
My store had them unfrozen and on sale one day, that's why I bought it.  I was planning to use it to introduce bone, but I chickened out on the bone, they just seem so sharp.

Yes, she really loves cornish hen, and turkey thigh too. She'll eat turkey breast and chicken thigh and chicken breast. She needs a little more coaxing with gizzards but does eat them, and won't eat beef at all.

She never needs any garnish on her Rad Cat meals (won't eat the lamb at all)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
Don't be afraid of raw bones.  
Yes, they break into sharp looking pieces, but here's the thing.
AS LONG AS there is a cushion of MEAT, those pieces will simply slide on down to the SUPER acidic stomach juices and pose no issues.

Also, RAW bones still have a lot of moisture to them.  This is very important.
Think of it this way... a sliver of china clay can be smashed and ground and even reconstituted with water.
BUT take that same clay, and stick it in a kiln... what happens?  The water is completely drawn out, and the heat will re-bind the molecular structure into a much much stronger substance.  A sliver of kiln baked china is as sharp as a needle.

That is how I think of the difference between raw and cooked bones.
Raw bones might be "sharp", but their molecular structure is "soft" because the water is still bound into them.
Cooked bones will be like needles because of the effect heat has on their molecular structure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:56:55 PM by FurMonster Mom »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Don't be afraid of raw bones.  
Yes, they break into sharp looking pieces, but here's the thing.
AS LONG AS there is a cushion of MEAT, those pieces will simply slide on down to the SUPER acidic stomach juices and pose no issues.

Also, RAW bones still have a lot of moisture to them.  This is very important.
Think of it this way... a sliver of china clay can be smashed and ground and even reconstituted with water.
BUT take that same clay, and stick it in a kiln... what happens?  The water is completely drawn out, and the heat will re-bind the molecular structure into a much much stronger substance.  A sliver of kiln baked china is as sharp as a needle.

That is how I think of the difference between raw and cooked bones.
Raw bones might be "sharp", but their molecular structure is "soft" because the water is still bound into them.
Cooked bones will be like needles because of the effect heat has on their molecular structure.

Thanks FMM!  I'll get there eventually.  I guess I just wasn't quite ready yet.

Tonight SK ate chunks of gizzard that were the size and thickness of a two nickels!  And wow, she LIKED it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
I never thought of cornesh hens.  I also only see them frozen.  Is there a problem thawing and then feeding?  For a snack... not a meal.  I'm still at the nutritionally paranoid stage. 

Good analysis concerning bones, FMM!  I haven't tempted any bones either.  If I saw a cat chase and eat an entire mouse...wouldn't give it a second thought (other than the gross factor).  Why do SOME of us ;) make everything more difficult than it has to be? 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »
Just our natures I guess.  I have seen a cat eat an entire mouse.  They do it with GREAT satisfaction and enjoyment!   Bumpurr1

It would be fine to thaw the cornish hen, cut it up and refreeze in smaller snack size portions.  I think the only issue is, some of the nutrients are lost in the thawing/refreezing.  What I would recommend, if you want to refreeze is thaw it just enough to be able to cut it up. 

But wait, with the gang you have, you wouldn't have any left to re-freeze after doling it out.  funny2

Thaw it in a bowl of cold water until it is thawed enough to cut up and dole out.  And then let us know how it goes over!  SK LOVES cornish hen, and turkey thigh is her second favorite, I think.  Tomorrow they will have chicken breast for the first time.

Let me tell you about the gizzards she ate tonight:

They were the size of double thick nickels!!!! Even though they were larger than anything she's ever had before, and gizzards even, which I know are more difficult to eat, and not her favorite, she was so DETERMINED to eat her meal that, when she encountered a gizzard that needed really a lot of work, she took it out of her dish and off the table to the floor so as to have more room.

The other two, who had already finished theirs, swarmed at her (hoping she'd drop it no doubt ) but she showed them her BACK and kept chewing. Once she got it all down, she jumped back up to her dish and kept going!

I didn't get it on camera because I had company, stuff had been moved around, and I didn't want to stop watching to look for the camera. I wish I had gotten it on video though, you would have LOVED to see her go at that chunk.

I am so proud of my girl!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
Any non-commercial feeding I do is more for a snack.  And you are right... an entire cornish hen would be consumed in one sitting, between the cats and dogs.  No worries there!

That is funnnny about SK taking her gizzards to the floor to eat... and the others watching her like a hawk.  It is so wonderful that her interest, in food, has improved sooooooo much!  

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
Any non-commercial feeding I do is more for a snack.  And you are right... an entire cornish hen would be consumed in one sitting, between the cats and dogs.  No worries there!

That is funnnny about SK taking her gizzards to the floor to eat... and the others watching her like a hawk.  It is so wonderful that her interest, in food, has improved sooooooo much! 

Yes, she really likes meal times now.  And Little Cat has gotten much less suspicious too.  funny2

Okay, I think we've reached the status quo here.

SK (8+ years old, 10 pounds) eats 4.5 ounces of food a day.
1 oz -Rad Cat raw: chicken or turkey, on alternating days
.55 ounces boneless prey model raw (PMR) (with calcium supplemented). Turkey breast, turkey thigh, chicken breast, chicken thigh, chicken gizzard, or cornish hen. (and liver for organ)
2.95 ounces canned

TC (6+ years old, 9 pounds 8 ounces) eats 4.25 ounces a day
1.1 ounce boneless PMR (calcium supplemented) Turkey breast, turkey thigh, chicken breast, chicken thigh, chicken gizzard, or beef (and liver for organ)
3.15 ounce canned

LC (2+ years old, 6 pounds 15 ounces) eats 5.5 ounces a day
1 ounce Rad Cat raw: chicken, turkey or lamb
.55 ounce boneless PMR (calcium supplemented) Turkey breast, turkey thigh, chicken breast, chicken thigh, chicken gizzard, or beef (and liver for organ)
1.1 ounce Stella &Chewy's freeze dried raw
2.85 ounces canned food

On the days that TC and LC have PMR beef there is a variation. Since SK can't tolerate beef, on PMR beef days, SK has cornish hen. Because of that, LC gets a full ounce of beef instead of half an ounce, and skips her Stella&Chewy's that day.

Supplements:
Egg shell calcium (as noted) to replace bone in PMR meals
pinch of taurine
probiotic daily
krill oil every two days
300 mg egg yolk lecithin every 2 days (SK) every 4 days (TC and LC)
1 tablespoon pure pumpkin daily (TC)

I am thrilled to have this worked out to my (and their) satisfaction!

I'm still too scared to try raw bone (am supplementing with egg shell calcium instead), but I did give TC some cartilage the other day when I was cutting up some chicken thigh, and she did really well with it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
I don't know how you keep up with it all!  I know... A journal, but still...  W o w! 

Tags: