Author Topic: Hill's(R) Science Diet(R) 'Vets Know Best' Tour Gets Tails Wagging at the Scotts  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
SCOTTSDALE, AZ--(Marketwire - Mar 6, 2013) - The right pet food everyday will help keep the doctor away!
To celebrate new and improved formulas and packaging for many of its popular pet foods, Hill's® Science Diet® has kicked off its Vets Know Best tour. As part of the tour, the Science Diet® team will travel from coast to coast to share the news and samples with pet owners and their beloved pets. Visit the Hill's booth, and try the pet food vets feed their own pets!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hills-r-science-diet-r-175852847.html

The "new and improved" Science Diet® Adult Light

What's New

Quality protein 1st ingredient
No chicken by-product
Natural ingredients
No artificial colors or flavors
Great taste guaranteed

Ingredients
Chicken, Whole Grain Wheat, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Wheat Gluten, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, Calcium Sulfate, Oat Fiber, Mixed Tocopherols added to retain freshness, Citric Acid added to retain freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Dried Apples, Dried Broccoli, Dried Carrots, Dried Cranberries, Dried Peas.

First ingredient IS chicken.  EXCEPT...Ingredients are listed by weight, before being cooked.  That (technically) moves chicken much farther down the ingredients list. 
The ingredients, after chicken...  grain, rice, gluten, cellulose, etc.  :o
Personally I wouldnt feed this, if I got it for free. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
AUGH!  My eyes!

The right pet food everyday will help keep the doctor away!

sarcasmalert  Riiiiight . . . that's why I was taking my cats to the vet or calling the vet's office several times a year to find out why they kept vomiting/regurgitating their food several times a day and night, EVERY day and night for years.  I just hadn't found "the right pet food" to keep the doctor away!   Doh1 ::)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
First ingredient IS chicken.  EXCEPT...Ingredients are listed by weight, before being cooked.  That (technically) moves chicken much farther down the ingredients list. 
The ingredients, after chicken...  grain, rice, gluten, cellulose, etc.  :o
Personally I wouldnt feed this, if I got it for free. 

I counted 6 grains/grain-like products, and that's not counting the fruits/veggies.  All of those non-animal proteins add up and I'm sure weigh more than the chicken that's in there.  Just another little trick the PFI likes to use . . . each ingredient listed separately is less than the chicken (before cooking), but add 'em all together and you're feeding more plants than meat.    :o

I wouldn't feed it, either.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Sad thing is, I fed Science Diet (for dogs) many years ago.  Paid a premium price for a food that I thought was premium.  Never questioned the ingredients list... the packaging label told me all I needed to know!  bangshead  Maybe that is why our Danes were stolen... someone wanted to feed them better. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Sadly Lola when I first got Shadow I fed Science diet too. It said "Science" So I thought that must be good, lol Doh1  Its been a long journey of educating my self since then. Thank goodness she was not on it too long, since im the type that likes to research stuff a lot. After she got the struvite crystals thats when I really started to delve into the pet nutrition world.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:35:43 PM by Shadow »
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Sad thing is, I fed Science Diet (for dogs) many years ago.  Paid a premium price for a food that I thought was premium.  Never questioned the ingredients list... the packaging label told me all I needed to know!  bangshead  Maybe that is why our Danes were stolen... someone wanted to feed them better. 

Don't feel bad, Lola.  I fed the "prescription" carp to my cats because I didn't know what else to do, I was desperate to get them to keep their food down, and I didn't know enough about pet food at the time to question my vet.  I still remember looking at the ingredients and wondering why there were so many plants/carbs in them, and then I told myself, "well, there's grains in a mouse's stomach . . ."  Doh1  Not realizing how small a mouse is, and it's stomach is even smaller, and not realizing that the mouse is pre-digesting the material for the one that eats it.   :-[

We live and learn.  grouphug

Tags: