Author Topic: Whole Earth Farms by Merrick  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Whole Earth Farms by Merrick
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
Puppy Food
Ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oat Meal, Pearled Barley, Ground Rice, Ground Millet, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Duck, Buffalo, White Fish, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Salmon Oil (a natural source of Omega-3, Docosahexaenoic Acid-DHA)*, Organic Alfalfa Sun-cured ground, Yeast Culture, Tomato Pomace Dried , Dried Egg,Organic Sunflower Seed Ground, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Blueberry Dried, Cranberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Marigold Dried, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei,Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin, Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.) 28.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 17.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%, Moisture (max.) 11.0%.

Adult

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oat Meal, Pearled Barley, Ground Rice, Ground Millet, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Duck, Buffalo, White Fish, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Salmon Oil (a natural source of Omega-3, Docosahexaenoic Acid-DHA)*, Organic Alfalfa Sun-cured ground, Yeast Culture, Tomato Pomace Dried, Dried Egg, Organic Sunflower Seed Ground, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Blueberry Dried, Cranberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract,Inulin (from Chicory Root), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Marigold Dried, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin, Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Nutrients Profile.
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 12.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%, Moisture (max.) 11.0%, Docosahexaenoic Acid DHA* (min.) 400 mg/kg, Vitamin E (min.) 50 mg/kg.
Calorie Content: 3495 kcal/kg (calculated) one pound provides 1587 kcal metabolizable energy. One cup provides 352 kilocalories or calories. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Nutrients Profile.

Senior

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oat Meal, Pearled Barley, Ground Rice,Ground Millet, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Duck, Buffalo, White Fish, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Salmon Oil (a natural source of Omega-3, Docosahexaenoic Acid-DHA)*, Organic Alfalfa Sun-cured ground, Yeast Culture, Tomato Pomace Dried , Dried Egg,Organic Sunflower Seed Ground, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Blueberry Dried, Cranberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Marigold Dried, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei,Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin, Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 10.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%, Moisture (max.) 11.0%.

Saw this brand at a local tractor store for $36 for a 35lb bag.  Personally, I am not fond of the amount of grains, but for the amount of meat in the food and the quality of the ingredients, I think it is an excellent food for the price... and recent events have reminded me that occasionally price matters a great deal more than we would like it to. If I didn't have a large supply of HT grinds and my supplements on hand before I lost my job, Amber would probably be eating canned food right now, and not one of the high-quality ones, either.

So... do yall think this is a good mid-quality food for people who want to feed a decent quality food at grocery store quality price?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Whole Earth Farms by Merrick
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »
Well Dog Food Advisor gave it 4 stars:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/whole-earth-farms-dog-food-dry/

So if cost was a factor (most people aren't anal about grains like me), I'd definitely consider it more than some others I've heard about.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Whole Earth Farms by Merrick (and a grain-free option)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
At Walmart (sucks) (and a lot of other stores now), Rachel Ray Zero Grain is about the same price, (approx. $1 per pound), and it also gets 4 stars if someone needs zero grain. I'd probably go with that one, or the Just 6 formula, if a dog had sensitivities.

It's manufactured by http://www.ainsworthpets.com/ according to the site's FAQ:

http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/dog-nutrition-faq
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:45:18 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »
But..Amber is a cat?  These are dog foods.

After seeing the damage done to my Mazy cat after 6 years on dry I would never feed dry to a cat again, ever.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Oh, no no no no. I am SO sorry for the confusion, I would never feed Amber dry food, let alone dry dog food. I have a friend who had a pregnant momma dog abandoned at the dumpsters near her house and is looking for a puppy food to feed the mom and the future babies after they are born, and cost is a factor with her. I have enough HT grinds and supplements left that Amber doesn't have to worry about eating commercial food (at least not for a few months), I was simply making the point that I understand restricted finances, much better than I did before I lost my job. I saw this food, and thought it might be a good idea for her, because she cannot afford to spend more than $1 per pound, for food, period.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:05:37 PM by Amber »

Tags: