Author Topic: Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...  (Read 10427 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
Took Lucy for vaccinations and her check-up last week.  She was feeling a bit "meh" afterward.  She ate all her meals and such, but didn't participate in any family activity.  Just rested.  She seemed to be back to normal within 24 hours.

I requested that a senior panel be doneā€¦just in case.  She is 9 years old.  I can call for the results, but I'll wait until I see the vet on Thursday.  Thursday she goes in for her dental cleaning.  She is missing a tooth and also has a tooth resorption.  :(  Is there something in my water, or is it that common?!   

At least Lacy (dog) has good teeth.  Thank GOODNESS! 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
She is missing a tooth and also has a tooth resorption.  :(  Is there something in my water, or is it that common?!   

In humans, tooth resorption is caused by the body attacking itself. It's one of those things where the immune system goes haywire and treats the teeth as a foreign body. Is it the same for other animals? If so, I'd be questioning the vet about Lucy's immune system.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »
The vet rambled off a few possibilities.  Gum disease, too much vitamin D, and I don't know what else.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
I found this at Mercola:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/17/teeth-resorption.aspx

One of the possible causes IS an autoimmune disorder called "Feline stomatitis."

Are you on city or well water? I also saw something about city water in there.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:47:38 AM »
Tolly didn't have stomatitis, just the FORL. Are Lucy and Lola from the same shelter?  Wondering if there is a genetic relation.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »
The only furkid from a shelter is Jenkins.  Lola we "inherited" when her adopter passed away unexpectedly.  Lucy was found in a shopping cart, late at night, crying her eyes out. 

We don't collect cats and dogs...they just happened.  We HAVE turned away several. 

We have well water, but they mostly only get bottled water... For the last several months or year-ish.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
I cancelled her surgery tomorrow.  She just doesnt seem to be completely back to herself, after the vaccinations.   A little off.  Nothing I can put my finger on. 
As weird as it may sound... I have had a weird feeling for a few days.  Thought maybe it was just me over worrying.  Had a dog, once, that didnt make it back to normal after a dental. Maybe that is in the back of my mind?
Anyway the vet isnt in today, so I wasnt able to find out the results of her senior panel work.  I dont want something to get over-looked and then her get put under and have it back fire.
Maybe it is just me, being a nut... But I'm going with my gut... for once. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
I don't blame you one single bit. I am a firm believer in female intuition.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »
Maybe it is just me, being a nut... But I'm going with my gut... for once. 

I don't think you're being a nut, I think you're being smart.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:23:50 AM »
Always go with your gut on things like this.  If it didn't feel right to you there was a reason. Have you heard back on the blood work yet?  Is she feeling better?  The vaccines surely could put her off.  But of course resorptive lesion pain can too. Let us know when it's rescheduled so we can send her lots of good vibes!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 12:49:39 AM »
I quarantined her, for two days, so I could keep track of her exact input and output.  She seems to be doing okay.  I'm hoping the vet is in on Monday, so I can find out the senior panel results. 
Also, whatever testing they do before a dental... those results are only good for 2 or 3 weeks.  ??  I don't want to put off the dental any longer than necessary. 

Funny story... When we removed all the carpet and put in tile, that left a bit of space under the bedroom doors.  Tonight when I put down everyone's dinner, I slid Lucy's plate under the door.  She isn't a fan of By Nature.  She will eat it, but not with a smile.  She ate most of her dinner and then slid her plate BACK!!  She's a character. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:10:44 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
Funny story... When we removed all the carpet and put in tile, that left a bit of space under the bedroom doors.  Tonight when I put down everyone's dinner, I slid Lucy's plate under the door.  She isn't a fan of By Nature.  She will eat it, but not with a smile.  She ate most of her dinner and then slid her plate BACK!!  She's a character. 

That is WONDERFUL! It's funny how little rituals are created when we want our cats to eat.  I hope it works all the time!

For Queen Eva, if she shows disinclination to eat she has trained me to follow her into the bathroom, put the dish of food on the floor and shut the door.  When she is finished she knocks on the door to let me know she's ready to come out

My vet will let blood work stand for anesthesia for up to three weeks.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
I assumed she was sliding the plate back, because she didn't like her dinner.  I could "see" her doing the burying ritual... and the plate flying back under the door. 

Queen Eva knocking on the door.... toooooo cute! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
Lucy's elder cat blood panel... receptionist said nothing Earth shattering.  Hmmm  I'll get a copy, for myself, next Thursday.  Lucy's dental surgery has been re-scheduled then.   Happy thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
 HangInThere
I hope she's feeling better than what she seemed to be when you cancelled the appointment the first time!

grouphug

Hopefully everything will go okay this time.

GoodVibes

You have all our prayers and best wishes for this time to go perfectly.

Tags: