Author Topic: Taste Of The Wild  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Taste Of The Wild
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Info on two of the canned flavors.  Any thoughts or opinions on the ingredients, where they source their meats from, company info, etc?

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula in Gravy Canned Dog Food

Bison, venison broth, lamb broth, lamb liver, egg, peas, potato starch, sweet potatoes, potatoes, roasted venison, roasted bison, ocean fish, guar gum, natural flavor, tomatoes, sodium tripolyphosphate, canola oil, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, chicory root, iron proteinate (a source of chelated iron), zinc proteinate (a source of chelated zinc), yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, cobalt proteinate (a source of chelated cobalt), blueberries, raspberries, copper proteinate (a source of chelated copper), manganese proteinate (a source of chelated manganese), riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement.

Taste of the Wild Wetlands Formula in Gravy Canned Dog Food

Duck, duck broth, chicken broth, chicken liver, chicken, egg, peas, potato starch, sweet potatoes, potatoes, ocean fish, roast duck, roasted quail, smoked turkey, guar gum, tomatoes, sodium tripolyphosphate, natural flavor, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, chicory root, iron proteinate (a source of chelated iron), zinc proteinate (a source of chelated zinc), yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, cobalt proteinate (a source of chelated cobalt), blueberries, raspberries, copper proteinate (a source of chelated copper), manganese proteinate (a source of chelated manganese), riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Taste Of The Wild
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
Taste of the Wild was a food that was in the Diamond Recall for salmonella-laced kibble.

Jus' Sayin'.

Edit:  I found it: http://www.examiner.com/article/taste-of-the-wild-issues-limited-recall-of-dry-dog-food
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:55:47 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
I know why I don't feed the feline foods... but can't remember why I don't feed the dog food. I thought there was a reason, other than the recent-ish recall. 

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:02:08 AM »
There is the fact that it made by diamond, and it also contains ethoxyquin.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:08:34 AM »
When someone from another forum asked their sources, he got this letter back:

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/diet-nutrition/7390251-taste-wild-ingredient-sources.html#.UutLHRBdUrU

To answer your question, there are ingredients that are critical to our formulations (i.e. folic acid, taurine, vitamin C) that can only be sourced out of China. Our choice is to either include these ingredients or manufacturer our foods without them, which would not be in the best interest of your pet, in our view.

And another poster on down the page said:

That's exactly why I've never tried TOTW. Roasted meats are typically charred at high temps which produce carcinogens. Now, why TOTW adds them, I assume it's because there is some low cost access to it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:46 AM »
There is the fact that it made by diamond, and it also contains ethoxyquin.

I don't see the ethoxquin pesticide.  I swear I read over the ingredients, for both of them, 3 times!  I'm going to bed...  goingtobed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »
I don't see ethoxyquin in the list either.  But potatoes potatoes potatoes would be enough for me to say no.  Good grief.

Tags: