Author Topic: What Exactly is Potassium Sorbate?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
What Exactly is Potassium Sorbate?
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:10:24 PM »
http://www.budgetearth.com/dingo-market-cuts-review/

This premium jerky is made in Pennsylvania in a USDA inspected facility using only 3 ingredients – real chicken tenders, glycerin, and potassium sorbate

From what I can tell, it's sourced here somewhere:

http://www.dingobrand.com/Products/Market-Cuts/Chicken-Jerky.aspx
...made in Pennsylvania with USA sourced,

So, do you think it's safe? Or do we need to stay completely away from Chicken Jerky no matter what?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: What Exactly is Potassium Sorbate?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:12:06 AM »
It's a preservative.  I wouldn't give my pets jerky anything anymore.  Is it the chewy texture you're after?  How about raw meaty bones instead?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
I guess I'll just keep on making them stuff.

Raw Meaty Bones = bigger chance of possible contamination in the house. Can't risk it with my health issues. It's already a risk to feed them raw, but at least they keep the raw at their bowls and I can wash their faces b/c they've not gotten it all over their legs, etc. like they would with raw bones.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
I seem to recall seeing info on how to make jerky in your oven....  try googling?
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
That's what I've been doing in the dehydrator I got a couple of months ago. I got sick of having to drive so much to get any treats, even though pet stores are good socialization place. But they've learned what the dehydrator is now, and jerky takes the longest.

Barkly goes to the cabinet where the dehydrator is and barks at it--regularly. It's not so bad when I'm drying out their biscuits b/c that only takes a couple of hours. But making the jerky that takes more like 6-8 hours? UGH.

So when I saw that review and looked it up, I thought. . ."Well maybe. I'll see what the others think."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
I haven't made jerky, in the dehydrator, in years!  Never thought about making some for the dog.  Good idea! 

Years ago, when a friend I were "into" making beef jerky. often... friend had made a big batch.  Lots of time, and expense involved.  She stopped at my house, to give me a sample of her latest batch.  She had a bunch of baggies filled with jerky, in her purse, that she planned to share with all her friends.  My house was her first stop.

While we chatted, our dog (at the time) ate most of the jerky... on the sly... very quietly.  She was soooooo ticked.  Oops. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: