Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34902 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
Good idea, DeeDee, just giving it to one at a time.  Thanks.

But if you are feeding pate, why would the barf be chunky?  Mazy's barf is not chunky.  It's smooth (unless there is fur in it, which is rare), and the color of whatever she has just eaten.

Regurgitation is barfing up food after eating it.  I would say, within a half hour of eating... would be considered regurgitation.

Mazy rarely brings up hairballs.  What was happening for her was, the hairballs get stuck trying to pass, then she regurgitates daily until the fur works it's way through.  We don't have that problem any more, she just had a nice poop, in fact and it was full of fur.  No grass though, which is what I was looking for.

I think, Mazy's trouble is in part because of her reduced motility.  However, to be accurate, she was having this kind of hairball trouble as early as when she was not even 2 years old. So maybe she's always had motility issues, I don't know.  Hmmm...but she was already on the C/D when those troubles started.

Not all the foods are pate.  Good point though, about the pate not being chunky. 
The color is always the same.. no matter what was eaten last.  It happens about mid-way, in-between meals.  USUALLY "only" once a day.  More often between breakfast and lunch, than other times. 

I looked over my notes, as far as what they eat and for what meal.  Can't see ANY sort of pattern.  I even had hubby look... just in case.  Oh, I also rotated out (a few days) any suspected brands or flavors.  I didn't jerk around too much though...before giving the Pepcid...didn't want him barfing for days on end.

Speaking of barfing, I think I will just use the term "barf," rather than say one thing... when something else is actually happening. *insert Doofus smiley*

I just mentioned that there are no hairball issues, in case anyone was wondering. 

I am THRILLED for Mazy (and you) that hairballs are a non-issue for her.  Sorry no grass in her poo though.  :(  Maybe someday...SOON!  Your Mazy is why I HATE Hill's, more than just the average hater.   >:(  Motility issues are certainly no picnic, from what I have read... and what you have said.  My heart just breaks for her.   
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
PS
Lola is the only one that has never been fed kibble...other than a little bit, when we would play "chase the kibble."  I also cleaned my floors (and other things), for mannnnny years with chemicals.  Commercial wet food isn't the greatest scenario either.  She has been exposed to all kinds of carp, in her 6 years, but a lot less carp than the others.  It will be interesting... 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »
I just think it's easier to be able to observe one body for changes than it is to be trying to observe both bodies for changes.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »
Mazy still has hairball issues.  What I said was, she never brings them up.  They get stuck, passing through the other way. Vet thinks this is the cause of her cyclic regurgitation. What I meant by not having that problem is not having the daily regurgitation. I think, I don't know why I put it that way, it makes no sense when I read it now.  Sorry about that.

Keep us posted on Arrows, and Roxy.  I didn't realize Roxy was on so much pepcid. 1/4 table 3 times a day seems like a lot. How long has she been taking it?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
As much as I don't like pepcid, just to make things easier I would hold off on giving Roxy the ACV for a bit and stick with what you're doing for her.  I'm still having brain fog issues, but I seem to remember reading something that stated that, when taken off an acid blocker, the body initially will produce even MORE acid, and if that's the case, Roxy may need to be on reduced doses instead of going "cold turkey."  I want to look for that paperwork again, though, and it's been hard to focus on what I read lately.

Just to make things easier all around, let's focus on Arrows for now.  MC was giving Mazy 1 drop of ACV in 1 meal/day.  If you're seeing a pattern, say, it's his breakfast he tends to bring up, then that might be the meal to start with.  If there's no pattern like that, then I guess just pick a meal?   :-\

fingerscrossed and crossing paws the ACV helps!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
I just think it's easier to be able to observe one body for changes than it is to be trying to observe both bodies for changes.

Agree!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
Mazy still has hairball issues.  What I said was, she never brings them up.  They get stuck, passing through the other way. Vet thinks this is the cause of her cyclic regurgitation. What I meant by not having that problem is not having the daily regurgitation. I think, I don't know why I put it that way, it makes no sense when I read it now.  Sorry about that.

Keep us posted on Arrows, and Roxy.  I didn't realize Roxy was on so much pepcid. 1/4 table 3 times a day seems like a lot. How long has she been taking it?

To make sure I understand... you know Mazy is having a problem passing a hairball, because she regurgitates.  When the hairball is passed, the regurgitation stops.  Any chance I got that right? 
Roxy has been taking Pepcid for close to a year.  The original recommended dose was 10 mg a day.  I started with half that...just to see.  The lower dose worked.  She only recently-ish moved up to 3/4.  When I scaled back to 1/2 (last week?), she barfed... two days in a row.  I moved her back up to 3/4.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
As much as I don't like pepcid, just to make things easier I would hold off on giving Roxy the ACV for a bit and stick with what you're doing for her.  I'm still having brain fog issues, but I seem to remember reading something that stated that, when taken off an acid blocker, the body initially will produce even MORE acid, and if that's the case, Roxy may need to be on reduced doses instead of going "cold turkey."  I want to look for that paperwork again, though, and it's been hard to focus on what I read lately.

Just to make things easier all around, let's focus on Arrows for now.  MC was giving Mazy 1 drop of ACV in 1 meal/day.  If you're seeing a pattern, say, it's his breakfast he tends to bring up, then that might be the meal to start with.  If there's no pattern like that, then I guess just pick a meal?   :-\

fingerscrossed and crossing paws the ACV helps!

Reducing the amount of Pepcid, for Roxy, didn't work out.  She is on hold, as far as any changes.  Arrows... I better make a decision.  I'll start him tomorrow. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »
How much Pepcid did Mazy used to take?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
What do you use to measure a drop of ACV... or is it literally a drop? 
I put my finger over the bottle opening, and let a drop fall into his food yesterday.   :-\  He didn't blink an eye!  Ate his meal, like normal.  I was stunned.  That stuff smells and tastes like ______!!! 

Arrows is a VERY good eater though.  Roxy will walk away from her dish, if she even THINKS her food has been doctored.  If she was a human child, she would be a snot.  I say that lovingly.   ;D

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »
I'm not sure how MC is doing it, but I was thinking that if you have an eye-dropper or a syringe (not sure if that's a larger opening), use that to literally add 1 drop to the food.

Crossing paws and fingers fingerscrossed that it helps him!

Roxy will walk away from her dish, if she even THINKS her food has been doctored.  If she was a human child, she would be a snot.  I say that lovingly.   ;D

funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
If Arrows goes more than 7 days... that will tell me the ACV is working. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
I have some serious heartburn going on today.  The Pepcid isn't working for me.  Usually it does.  Maybe it is time for me to guzzle some ACV!  I wonder how it would taste in a margarita?  HA HA HA

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
I have some serious heartburn going on today.  The Pepcid isn't working for me.  Usually it does.  Maybe it is time for me to guzzle some ACV!  I wonder how it would taste in a margarita?  HA HA HA

It's a whole lot easier to swallow if you mix it in a big glass of ice cold water--I prefer Perrier with it though.

I started with a teaspoon full and worked my way up to a tablespoon before every meal. And slowly lowered how many times a day until it was just at dinner at night.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."