Author Topic: Parts of the Smokey Mountains Closed Off Due To Bears  (Read 1125 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Parts of the Smokey Mountains Closed Off Due To Bears
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
In case you're planning on going hiking in the Smokey Mountains, some of the trails have been closed:

Smoky Mountain Trails Closed While Bears Feed

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/25935550/smoky-mountain-trails-closed-while-bears-feed

So you might want to rethink your plans.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Parts of the Smokey Mountains Closed Off Due To Bears
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »
A statement from the National Park Service said there are at least 12 bears feeding on ripe cherries in the Gregory Bald area, and that has led to several close encounters between bears and hikers. The closed areas include Gregory Bald Trail and Wolf Ridge Trail from Parson Bald to Gregory Bald.

The statement said the trails will be closed until the bears disperse, which is expected to happen after they've depleted the food source.

How filling can cherries be?  ;)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
I guess if you're a vegetarian bear, they must be a mighty nice treat.  I bought some cherries yesterday, for the first time in 3 years.  Because as much as I love them I will not pay 7.99 a pound for them.  this is the first time in 3 summers I have found them at a reasonable price.  $2.49 a pound.  They were so cheap, relatively speaking, I worried they would be either rotten or sour, but they are not bad.

There were some trails closed once at a state park I like to hike at..but for nesting hawks, not bears.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »
I bought some cherries today too!  First time in .... I don't know when...years... mannnny years!  DELICIOUS! 

Hawks.... bears... I'd give them their space.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »
Me too!

Tags: