Author Topic: Convenia Study Information  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Convenia Study Information
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
For those scientists out there  :D, I thought I'd post the study information for Convenia.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm062340.pdf

For cats, start at page 16.  Dogs start at page 22.  Note the number of animals in each study, and the duration (I'm referring to the tolerance and injection site studies).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:35:27 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Convenia Study Information
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
I never asked, but I'm pretty sure that Convenia is what he was offering me when Vlad's paw got infected. I just rejected it because I could greatly lower an already high vet-bill by giving him capsules and regular antibiotic injection instead of the long-lasting injection offered. The first words out of his mouth after offering "a long-lasting injection that needs nothing else done," were "but it's going to cost a lot more for a dog his size."

Page 22. Okay. The first thing that's caught my eye is subcutaneous. Since when the heck are antibiotics supposed to be given sub-Q instead of intramuscular? I've NEVER seen an antibiotic used sub-Q instead of IM or by IV. I have a feeling these weren't REAL vets doing these 7 studies.

Page 24. Since when is a sample of 39 dogs enough to determine the safety and efficacy of a drug? That sure wouldn't fly with the FDA if it were a medication intended for humans.

Page 27. "Twenty-six veterinary practices located in 13 States within the United States enrolled patients in this study." That's still not as much as done with humans, and they're still talking sub-Q.

I'm not reading anymore. I already know enough that I don't want V&B getting this stuff--ever. Even though there is evidence that they continually multiplied the number of patients through every stage, it's still not enough for me considering the small sampling used compared to the dog-population in the world.

Though most things given SQ have a prolonged effect, I for sure don't want them getting antibiotics SQ and risking a localized necrosis from it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: