Author Topic: How much is your pet worth? --Article  (Read 613 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
How much is your pet worth? --Article
« on: December 23, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
http://www.indystar.com/longform/news/investigations/2014/12/21/dogs-love-worth-legally-nothing/20546983/

What I find a bit ironic is this:

Why are drug companies pushing the emotional bond between animals and humans? Because pets are special, to be sure. But veterinarians and drug companies have serious financial reasons to promote that message.

If you consider your dog or cat to be a member of the family — not just a pet or a piece of property — then you are more likely to take better care of it. You will visit the vet more often. You probably will buy more medicine.

Many probably will.  But at least some of those will find, like those of us on PFK have, that vets and medicines don't always help.  If your pet gets sick enough, you will do anything you can to find answers.  And when you learn that what you're feeding your pet is making them sick, or the meds cause problems, you'll start looking at more natural ways to care for your pet, which means you won't be going to the vet nearly as often as the industry would like.

If I had considered Pookie and his sister as "just cats" I doubt I ever would have learned what I have.  So that emotional bond that the industry is marketing can be a double-edged sword.  (insert evil grin here)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: