Author Topic: Can cosequin for cats cause weight gain?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Can cosequin for cats cause weight gain?
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
I lifted this exchange from my other thread, I think it needs it's own thread:

Queen Eva however has suddenly started gaining, two ounces last week and two ounces this week.  I can't understand it, she's certainly not less active and I am not feeding her any more.

Oh I just had a thought, I wonder if it's the Rad Cat beef. I wouldn't think that would cause this much gain though she's only getting it three meals a week. But...it did replace Rad Cat Chicken for her, which was probably lower in calories and fat.  Hmmm....I'm going to have to read the numbers.  Queen Eva is usually self regulating.
Wait, one other change with Queen Eva is the cosequin. But how could that cause weight gain?

Chondroitin in joint supplements causes water retention. And some people now say that glucosamine causes insulin resistance which causes weight gain.

Ack, really?  Yikes!  I've been waiting to see if the cosequin seems to be making any difference in her wobbly ankles.  I started it very slowly, so it's only been one month (tomorrow) since she's had it daily.  I was going to give it two more weeks to see if I noticed any lessening of the wobbliness.

But I don't like the sound of that at all!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Can cosequin for cats cause weight gain?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
That bit about glucosamine causing insulin resistance isn't a for sure thing except in rats and mice. It's just being speculated right now, or I've not read anything about it being actually found yet.

But providing moisture to joints with chondroitin is a real thing--hence water-weight gain.

My sister has been a diabetic since age 7, so we all keep up with things like this:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/6/1941.full
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:21:59 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Can cosequin for cats cause weight gain?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 01:09:18 AM »
Hmmm...Shadow is no longer on the Cosequin, though she has lost some weight since taking her off it, I just thought it was her getting older? She is at an ok weight though.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: