Author Topic: Everyone's laugh for the day. . .  (Read 1543 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Everyone's laugh for the day. . .
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
My sister has a dog that has severe allergies. It's been a roller coaster ride to say the least.

Today the vet tried to tell her that this new food would cause a special barrier between the dog's skin and the rest of the world. I think I laughed for 3 minutes before I could stop and tell her to go on. funny2 funny2 funny2

She tried to tell the vet (again) that he's allergic to chicken. Vet still doesn't believe her. So she took a 5 lb bag with her, and said she would give him a few kibbles to see if it caused a reaction like it normally does just to shut the ^&*)^^ vet up. She said she'd wait a few days, take it back and get her money back.

Another reasoning of why she wanted his food changed? Because she doesn't like thinking of the "poor kangaroos" being killed for it. My sister was like, "Do you seriously think those are cute and cuddly animals?"

But I've never heard such craziness in my life. The dog is also allergic to fish oil. Guess what else is in that Hills? Yep. Fish Oil.

Take a look at this page if you need a laugh too because the sales pitch is hilarious:

http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-canine-derm-defense-dry

Do you seriously see anything in there that's going to do anything special for a dog with the allergies from 7734? Neither do I. AND, it says it's got, "Holistic long-term solution supporting healthy immune system." Where do these sales people think this BS up?

Still  funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Sorghum, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pea Protein, Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Pork Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Chicken Fat, Potassium Chloride, Lipoic Acid, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, Green Peas, Apples, Cranberries, Carrots, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Natural Flavors, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Broccoli, Beta-Carotene.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Everyone's laugh for the day. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »
  The good news is most dogs with these skin conditions can benefit simply from the right food.   

The keyword there is "right."  What they're selling ain't it.   yuk

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
You had me at Brewers Rice...

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »
When my previous vet was pushing Hills for Roxy, I was going to have this test done...if your sister is interested or needs to narrow anything down.  http://www.nutriscan.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
My sister is having a problem with the vet b/c she found something that worked, but the vet keeps on nagging her about making a trip to a dermatologist that's $800 just to walk into the doors up there. That's not even counting all the testing there. (She talked to someone at work that went there with her cat, and the bill was $2500 before the woman knew it. Plus there are trips back every 8 weeks.)

I gave her the nutriscan info last night in her email in case she decides they want to do that, but right now, my oldest niece is about to move out to college. With all the extra costs for that (she's also the one that's a diabetic like my sister), it's hard to justify taking him somewhere when they've already got something working for him.

I told her that the higher amount of fat is the only reason I think that food's going to have an effect on any dog's skin, and if she wanted more fats to see if that would help his skin, then to add something healthier like cold pressed coconut or olive oil, because that would do the same thing that the food is claiming. I could absolutely not see any reason that Hills food wouldn't do more harm than good for him.

I hope I never have to live up there, because all of the vets she's had are morons, and she's changed several times. At least she's learned to call me like my sons do, because the vet would prefer to put him on Clindamycin (for an undetermined amount of time). I told my sister that if he had no actual infections, then that was also going to do more harm b/c she's going to kill his gut.

Like I said, twits for vets up there.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »
I could absolutely not see any reason that Hills food wouldn't do more harm than good for him.

When I didn't know better and my furkids were on the "prescription" IBD food {shudder}, and I looked at the ingredients, I asked the vet about them.  She told me that it was the way the food was processed . . . the body didn't recognize the food as a problem (or something to that affect).  Looking back, basically what she was saying is the food was tricking the body to digest something that it normally wouldn't digest.  Um, ok, let's trick the body into digesting garbage instead of rejecting it.  Ye-ah.  (Thankfully I know better now.)

Like I said, twits for vets up there.

Does she live near me, by any chance?   Silly7  I bounced around to multiple vets with my furkids.  The very last one I went to, when I lost Pookie, was the only decent one.  At least she raw feeds her dogs (though not her cats  :-\).

As for your sister's dog:  if what she's doing works, why mess with it?  Yes, there's always hope to improve things even more, but Hills is not the answer.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
How is your sister's dog? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »
She said he was back to good with putting him back on the dose of the meds that the vet lowered from.

Tags: